Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, they made it official today. I got a promotion, officially a Manager starting Monday. Salary position with a huge retirement bump. My gross is going to be gutted (tons of OT here) but its taking 4 years off my retirement date and should save me from back surgery in the next few years. Damn double edged sword. Oh well.
Going to only have 1 mechanic working for me, but there will be 14 other Managers and their mechanics that kinda answer to me. Weird position having peers answer to me for some stuff, but I can't hold them accountable directly. Going to be interesting and a real challenge. Guess I am a glutton for punishment.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PorkchopSandwhiches:

LP, youre the Kia guy right? Im looking at a new car. Kia is on my list, specifically the Forte GT and Kia Seltos AWD with the 1.6 turbo. Any issues with either of those that you see?
View Quote

Nothing really to note, have had a few issues with the cvts for the non turbo cars but thats expected of first gen tech

@PorkchopSandwhiches
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
Well, they made it official today. I got a promotion, officially a Manager starting Monday. Salary position with a huge retirement bump. My gross is going to be gutted (tons of OT here) but its taking 4 years off my retirement date and should save me from back surgery in the next few years. Damn double edged sword. Oh well.
Going to only have 1 mechanic working for me, but there will be 14 other Managers and their mechanics that kinda answer to me. Weird position having peers answer to me for some stuff, but I can't hold them accountable directly. Going to be interesting and a real challenge. Guess I am a glutton for punishment.
View Quote

Epic!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a team leader or shop Forman.  Are you turning wrenches or writing service for your tech?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]
"Clutch"

This made it 30k miles. Absolutely no idea how that's possible, should have been raining oil since day 1. One Man, One Engine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
fun times for me
trying to ressurect a 1996 C1500
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By midcap:
fun times for me
View Quote
vortec!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:
vortec!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
fun times for me
vortec!

V6 though  
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]

V6 though  
View All Quotes
fun times for me
vortec!

V6 though  
I think a v-8 is plug and play.  Might need the computer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By belchfire:
Sounds like a team leader or shop Forman.  Are you turning wrenches or writing service for your tech?
View Quote
We are a large fleet of firetrucks and support equipment, I will be dealing with policy issues and funding. I will oversee the southern half of the state for now, they are trying to hire a partner for me to split the load. My mechanic will do all his own schedules and service writing, and most of his own parts chasing though I will be involved in that some due to the contracts and money stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My day

Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#12]

I bet you sweated all up in that mother.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
fun times for me
vortec!

V6 though  

Yeah I know, it needs a 5.7 in there.

But this thing has issues. sat for 3 years, so fuel pump, got that.

Got it running for plenty cels

temp sensor is bad
o2 sensor heat element, cat rattles, so Im not worried about that one right now
random misfire
it also ran hot
oil looks milky.

gonna pull plugs monday and do a comp test
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Pretty cool day at work.  SLR in for a few little things, a couple batteries and tires and a brake fluid change.  Road test revealed a major evap leak.  Found a broken fitting for fuel tank vent hoses, $275 and comes from the father land for about fifty cents worth of plastic and maybe three bucks of rubber hose.  SLS is in for a dead battery, its an odd size that has to be special ordered.  

I've got a GLS450 that has been in the shop for over two months.  We've been dealing with it for a while, and its history is a real mystery.  2017 model, under 10K miles.  Shows absolutely no history until early 2020 and shows it was "consignment" with the warranty beginning just recently.  Its a very high demand vehicle and black/black so it should have sold quickly and we cannot figure its past.  

Vehicle was purchased at auction and we did a CPO certification.  We did motor mounts for a vibration.  The client purchased it immediately (again, very high demand model and color) and brought it in a few times for a vibration.  It had a rear driveshaft replaced.  It had a missing front driveshaft bolt installed.  It had tires balanced and such.... and it bounced back several times with increasing levels of scrutiny.  

I have it dropped in my lap.  I look it over, throw exhaust hangers and a front driveshaft at it.  No luck.  It vibrates under acceleration at 42-44mph most noticeably.  If it is not at that speed, it does not vibrate at all.  It does not matter what gear its in, it does not matter RPM or anything else,  only road speed.  As you accelerate you might notice a quick vibe at 30, 50, 70, 80mph, but this is very noticeable at 42-44.  

I am using PICO NVH to figure it out and quickly see that the vibration does not correlate with any known parameters such as driveshaft, engine, or wheel speeds.  The pico relies on those calculations to correlate the vibration to specific components, but we are not seeing anything.  

I involved tech support and did a huge ordeal.  Swapped wheels and tires from a known good vehicle, no effect.  Untension motor mounts and such, no effect.  We go back and forth for literally weeks.  Replace this, replace that, no change.  There is nothing you can do to alter or effect the vibration.  Accelerate, and at 42-44mph, it vibrates with the same intensity regardless of what has been done to the vehicle.  I've taken CAN data traces and NVH graphs and uploaded them along with video... on and on...  Replaced valve body in the trans, nothing happened.  Replaced the entire transmission and torque converter, no change whatsoever.  Replaced the front axle shafts, the front differential and the left front wheel bearing.  Nothing changes.  

Tech ramps up their efforts and I spend an entire day taking NVH readings and moving the probe around and uploading the information I obtain.  Two engineers arrive and spent the entire day with me.  We had four NVH pickups between us, and we used the hell out of them.  We discovered that the vibration begins in the rear just a fraction of a second before the front, and is a tiny bit more intense in the front than the rear, but this is splitting hairs.  Effectively it comes in with the same intensity everywhere at once.  Its at 39hz.  It only does it as I describe, at 42-44mph.  They videoed the driveshaft as a last resort and left with a lot of data but no resolution.  

Germany doesn't use PICO NVH so our data is useless to them.  I untensioned the mounts again, even though the NVH probes say the vibration is not from the engine.  Its been hanging around with me swapping a known good trans mount and measuring driveshaft angles of it and several other vehicles for comparison, even though the NVH data proves it doesn't effect the crossmember for the trans.  I loosened the fuel tank and wiggled it, and also loosened and retorqued the subframe bolts.  Nothing changes at all.  

So I believe the body has a natural frequency of 39hz and this thing hits it and resonates.  I don't believe it can be repaired.  I've got 85 hours in to this thing, and nobody has ever done anything to alter the vibration.  

There are at least two other vehicles we know of that have the same issue, and I don't believe they were repaired either.  I know at least one was bought back.  

We traded the customer out of this thing after thirty days in the shop.  We figured that it had to be something and we were on the cusp of figuring it out, but we have still gotten nowhere.  I've never seen anything like it.
View Quote

All the glass original?

I’d tape up all the body gaps and drive it just to see if changing the airflow did anything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Damn vortec v6

#6 zero compression and major leak down

Can’t really pin point where all the air is going, freaking weird

Pull the head and there’s some odd scoring on the cylinder wall

Attachment Attached File

Can’t really tell if the head gasket was leaking either

But I did find the culprit behind the over heating, damn piece of shit intake gasket broke and was leaking coolant out like all the pos vortecs do

Not sure what to do next, the engine wasn’t smoking and the plug wasn’t more oily on that cylinder and the others
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:45:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#16]
Damn vortec v6

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/309960AD-613E-424F-9AEF-61DBFC2D466F_jpe-1811398.JPG

But I did find the culprit behind the over heating, damn piece of shit intake gasket broke and was leaking coolant out like all the pos vortecs do

Not sure what to do next, the engine wasn’t smoking and the plug wasn’t more oily on that cylinder and the others
View Quote

Sounds like all the junk we’re working on lately. Benz is sending out all these coupons to get work in the shop and people are dragging the ‘02 c240 their uncles buddies sister abandoned 10 years ago under the barn.

“It was running perfect when they parked it and walked away, I swear.”

We’ve had more cars leave the shop on a tow truck in the last 6 months than the last 10 years. Just absolute garbage showing up for that free 1 hour diag.

My current pile is a Sprinter motorhome bought at auction. The outside is totaled, the inside is totaled, no keys, mold and needles everywhere. Belt blew off, zip tied it up and ran until the engine seized. Brilliant. Listed as a stolen recovery, but he was doing 4000 miles a week for a solid 6 months.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Sounds like all the junk we’re working on lately. Benz is sending out all these coupons to get work in the shop and people are dragging the ‘02 c240 their uncles buddies sister abandoned 10 years ago under the barn.

We’ve had more cars leave the shop on a tow truck in the last 6 months than the last 10 years. Just absolute garbage showing up for that free 1 hour diag.

My current pile is a Sprinter motorhome bought at auction. The outside is totaled, the inside is totaled, no keys, mold and needles everywhere. Belt blew off, zip tied it up and ran until the engine seized. Brilliant. Listed as a stolen recovery, but he was doing 4000 miles a week for a solid 6 months.
View All Quotes
Damn vortec v6

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/309960AD-613E-424F-9AEF-61DBFC2D466F_jpe-1811398.JPG

damn that sucks...I used to hate working on old shit when I was an outboard tech. Being salt water down here, you were fighting corrosion every step of the way.

Damn...so the guy stole the van and was using it for that long?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]

damn that sucks...I used to hate working on old shit when I was an outboard tech. Being salt water down here, you were fighting corrosion every step of the way.

View Quote

Service history every couple weeks at MB dealers. Can’t imagine someone taking a stolen van in for repairs, but tweakers aren’t the smartest.

Our rep says RV sales were up 300% in 2020, the majority as first time owners. It’s going to be an interesting few years when the service sticker shocks sets in. Mercedes van people generally aren’t Mercedes people, they don’t have a clue that fuel filter that’s due every year is $500.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Service history every couple weeks at MB dealers. Can’t imagine someone taking a stolen van in for repairs, but tweakers aren’t the smartest.

Our rep says RV sales were up 300% in 2020, the majority as first time owners. It’s going to be an interesting few years when the service sticker shocks sets in. Mercedes van people generally aren’t Mercedes people, they don’t have a clue that fuel filter that’s due every year is $500.
View All Quotes

Ouch...yeah that's going to suck for them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:57:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#20]
K5 Tcm is in the fender liner.

Not the worst thing I have seen from a automake.

But still bad.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Geeze.

How many miles? What happened?

Who needs intact valves anyways...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
okay I bought because why not.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/390973/20200729_164040-1524931.jpg
View Quote

I have that exact wrench.

It is an absolute life saver when you have to go arm-deep in a door, it beats the crap out of the no-handle knurled round wrenches. Technically the no handle wrenches will fit in a few places that one wont, but you have to get your hand onto it to turn it ... which doesn't work so well sometimes.

Don't forget to have a pipe to extend the handle on it ... LOL.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Geeze.

How many miles? What happened?

Who needs intact valves anyways...
View Quote
270,000 or so. Engine went lean and stayed there for a while
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

But still bad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20210205_162110-1812129.jpg
View Quote

I'm not a Kia mechanic, but wouldn't it have been easier to just take the tire off, slide the inner fender out the way and just undo the TCM? The nuts are facing out there.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#25]

I'm not a Kia mechanic, but wouldn't it have been easier to just take the tire off, slide the inner fender out the way and just undo the TCM? The nuts are facing out there.
View Quote

mild bumper damage in a Target parking lot is all.

btw i keep forgetting your a tech for some reason

@midcap
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#26]

@midcap
View All Quotes

@midcap

Ahhh that makes sense.

I am technically not a tech anymore, but I still freaking get drug into it by everyone

So it's my Finance business during the day and then it's tech time at night. Now, I don't get paid to do the tech stuff as its for friends and family.

Right now I am in the middle of rehabbing my dad's boat, basically no care given to it for ten years prior to my dad buying it. it's gonna be nice when it's done. I may do a thread.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Please do a thread.  It would be a nice change of pace.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Please do a thread.  It would be a nice change of pace.
View Quote

Once I have it wrapped up, hope fully in a few weeks. I'll post a thread.

I am about 85% done.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
So I got the heads and the block all cleaned up one the vortec and the cylinder with the scoring is too far gone.

I put the head on with a new HG and did a leak down test and it leaks it ass off past the rings, also that cylinder and plug was really oily. The other two cylinders had very little leakage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#30]

But still bad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20210205_162110-1812129.jpg
View Quote

Meh.  BMW has headlight control modules that are bolted to the bottom of the headlight assemblies.  The seals are not good.  But they are good enough to let water pool in the connection.  New module might fix, but it also corrodes the pins on the headlight assembly so it may need new there as well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#31]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Meh.  BMW has headlight control modules that are bolted to the bottom of the headlight assemblies.  The seals are not good.  But they are good enough to let water pool in the connection.  New module might fix, but it also corrodes the pins on the headlight assembly so it may need new there as well.
View Quote

MB as well, must be a Bosch or Denso thing, whoever makes the assemblies.

$5k per side hurts when it’s just some water in the housing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#32]

MB as well, must be a Bosch or Denso thing, whoever makes the assemblies.

$5k per side hurts when it’s just some water in the housing.
View Quote

Hurts worse when it is the stupid dessicant bag leaching oil in to the housing and modules.  And its a repeat offender.  Or you paid to have said dessicants installed and then this happened because of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Dealing with an intermittent powertrain CAN failure of CAN high which is extremely brief.  24 frames frozen on the scope and one block of one frame shows the fault occur.  We had previously done a transmission control unit and a trans/ism harness.  Went to do an ISM today and saw it was already new.  Another dealer had done an engine control unit and ISM, apparently the car got traded and sent to auction, a used car lot bought it and the problem showed up there.  I've diagnosed the harness and replaced it, the vehicle was fixed until a month later, when the problem occurred again, but extremely infrequently.  

I had just convinced myself it was the ISM and when I saw it was new I kept looking.  Ripped the entire thing apart front to back and traced all the wiring for powertrain CAN.  Found a tiny nick in the body harness on the underside of the harness, where it laid across a bracket near the HPFP.  A small glint of copper was all I got when I spread the harness.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Dealing with an intermittent powertrain CAN failure of CAN high which is extremely brief.  24 frames frozen on the scope and one block of one frame shows the fault occur.  We had previously done a transmission control unit and a trans/ism harness.  Went to do an ISM today and saw it was already new.  Another dealer had done an engine control unit and ISM, apparently the car got traded and sent to auction, a used car lot bought it and the problem showed up there.  I've diagnosed the harness and replaced it, the vehicle was fixed until a month later, when the problem occurred again, but extremely infrequently.  

I had just convinced myself it was the ISM and when I saw it was new I kept looking.  Ripped the entire thing apart front to back and traced all the wiring for powertrain CAN.  Found a tiny nick in the body harness on the underside of the harness, where it laid across a bracket near the HPFP.  A small glint of copper was all I got when I spread the harness.
View Quote

Good job!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:14:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Another rust bucket arrived today

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#37]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390973/20210212_165447-1822125.jpg
View Quote

Please tell me it's for sale
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:42:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Please tell me it's for sale
View Quote

X2
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

At least its a mid market car
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

You know if it had a 460 you'd drive it
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#41]
danm this is small, look at the lift arms

there is golf carts bigger then this wittle guy

Need To Know : Tips Before Buying Subaru 360 Sedan
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#42]
We are still super busy at work.  I just put the final touches to this 988G,  a complete rebuild, actually the second 988 in a row. I have now started on a 826 rebuild with a 836K to do next. We also have a D10T, 990K and a 775 in process of being rebuilt.  A 836H just finished  and went to paint.. A 980M is waiting outside for a rebuild when space is available.  Some rebuilds were turned  away as we are too busy. We still have all the normal repairs comingi in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 11:55:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Coopmandu:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21010/23C4A2CC-8E56-4BBD-B925-97682026B375-1762398.jpg  

Bought my first toolbox in 22 years.....

View Quote

I have almost the same box but slightly different drawer config.  Paid it off last year....

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Exorpmtech:

I have almost the same box but slightly different drawer config.  Paid it off last year....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498109/20161103_171959_jpg-1830123.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Exorpmtech:
Originally Posted By Coopmandu:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/21010/23C4A2CC-8E56-4BBD-B925-97682026B375-1762398.jpg  

Bought my first toolbox in 22 years.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498109/20161103_171959_jpg-1830123.JPG

Dang nice tool box.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I found you a truck @Lee-online

3208 Caterpillar in Ford one ton
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#46]
I found you a truck @Lee-online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7jxoR-ey-Y
View Quote

Those V8 engines were put in a lot of stuff over the years, Wouldn't be hard to put into a truck.

Guy at work put a 3054, a 4 cylinder engine into a Jeep and ran it off bio fuel when bio fuel wasn't very common back in the early 2000s.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#47]
God those 3208s were so gutless
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:33:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
View Quote

They were/are real popular in small sport fishers and yachts
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#49]
heres an interesting one . 1962 Bmw 700 coupe,142 real miles, spare has the Conti band on it.  Borescope showsAttachment Attached File
no rust, so I will freshen carb and some bushings and see how it runs
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
View Quote

Hey now, my first service truck had a 3208 NA in it. Top speed of 57 and only took about 2 miles to get up to speed going downhill with a tailwind. So it was full of power.

Years ago, Did a transmission service on a 1 ton suburban, the old guy stuffed a 3208 in it and had an old Allison AT545 behind it. I never drove it, but he said it did good.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top