Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2020 12:51:10 PM EDT
just like the title says.

what areas are in free states and have great riding.

for those of us in states that are eroding quickly
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#1]
AZ right next door to you for now...

SC is pretty much a free state and has a mix of riding.  The upstate has some great riding and some decent riding in the midstate.  We have guns, lots of guns and PSA.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
North Georgia has great riding and within a couple hours of a couple bike parks and pisgah/dupont.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
humm..

that corner where SC/GA/TN meet looks pretty interesting to me... especially SC.

great recommendations.

hows the winter?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
humm..

that corner where SC/GA/TN meet looks pretty interesting to me... especially SC.

great recommendations.

hows the winter?
View Quote

It barely snows in the mountains, lows at the lowest in the teens.  Midstate SC lows are in the 20s, rarely snows.  

Upstate highs are in low 90s, midstate highs can reach 105f on the worst days.  

I lived in AZ (Phoenix) and like the weather better there.  The old adage about dry heat is a thing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 10:13:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Is NC still considered a free state?  Western NC, the mountain biking is world class....
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Hows the economy out there?

I'm watching the one here crumble.. bad. worse then 2008 bad.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hows the economy out there?

I'm watching the one here crumble.. bad. worse then 2008 bad.
View Quote

Solid, lots of new industries throughout the state.

Cost of living varies but it is cheaper than AZ or NM.

Mid State SC is cheap to live but some areas are kinda messy/trashy. Upstate looks nicer but cost more.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Still (mostly) free here in WI, tons of mtb trails.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Solid, lots of new industries throughout the state.

Cost of living varies but it is cheaper than AZ or NM.

Mid State SC is cheap to live but some areas are kinda messy/trashy. Upstate looks nicer but cost more.
View Quote

more interesting.

our economy is dying quickly. the governor has destroyed it and stated no gatherings over 50 till there's a vaccine.

this time of the year I normally have cars lined up down the street. I haven't done anything in 3 days...
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

more interesting.

our economy is dying quickly. the governor has destroyed it and stated no gatherings over 50 till there's a vaccine.

this time of the year I normally have cars lined up down the street. I haven't done anything in 3 days...
View Quote

Now, there is a down side.  We got the 'rona because people are stupid and keep licking the carts at Walmart.

What business are you in?

New companies in the last 8-10 years

Boeing, Conti tires, Volvo, F16 production for foreign sales, older company BMW.  Textiles are coming back.  Niki Halley, love or hate her did the state good bringing companies in.  

Failed companies include a couple of new NPP that got scrapped.  In part because even though there are more people they use less power because of more efficient lighting and A/C.  

Tourism in the lowcountry got hit by rona and riots.  

I shot at a nice "free" DNR range this AM and regularly shoot tactical and long range at a private range an hour away. I just carry my guns in my truck as I see fit. No crazy gun laws to speak of. We mirror the NFA with nothing added.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
MT and ID have world class mtb. Alabama and Arkansas have some good trail systems also.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Fox moved their corporate headquarters to Gainesville, GA to take advantage of the economy. I'm already seeing "Fox Factory' trails popping up in the area. I expect more money to be pumped into existing and new trails in the future.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 3:42:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What business are you in?
View Quote

Automotive repair.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Automotive repair.
View Quote

Well, I did say they make volvos and bmws here.  LOL

Cars don't rust out here so people wear them out. Maybe there is potential.  

The guy I used to go to got sloppy, did a bad alignment on my truck among other things and I never went back. I have taken my son's car to the dealership for work because I can trust their work.

My truck will need brakes and has a recall so it is going to a stealership for that.

My wife's CUV is under warranty so of course if it has an issue it goes to them.

I quit wrenching my cars when I started wearing glasses.
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Eureka, MO  (30 minutes SW of St. Louis.....I-44 @ Six Flags.)

Four parks with about 20 trails from easy to difficult, plus a brand new mountain bike park / training course behind the rec center.  All free and well maintained.

https://www.eureka.mo.us/Facilities/Facility/Details/Eureka-Mountain-Bike-Park-17

https://gorctrails.com/trails
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
WNC is the epitome of east coast riding and a little further up WV and down is northern GA.  Fox Shox (not to be confused with fox racing) has their factory in NC.  You send your fork for service it comes back really quick.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't know the politics that well but I was in NW arkansas a few weeks ago and that's turning into a mecca for mountain biking ...But they will damn sure make you wear a mask if you want to go out for dinner afterwards
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#18]
DuPont!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top