Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/16/2021 1:22:11 PM EDT
Howdy All,

I've been a following some security suggestions to make my accounts more secure, and one of the prime rules is never run the same password on multiple accounts.

SO - Are there any good Free Password Managers to allow someone to have different passwords for each account, yet not have to remember 40 different passwords for 40 different sites.

Thanks in Advance for Helpful Suggestions or Experiences on this!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used LastPass for years and have had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
KeePass is my choice.  You can host the file on Google Drive, Nextcloud, etc as well.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KeePass is my choice.  You can host the file on Google Drive, Nextxloud, etc as well.
View Quote

Or your own Synology box.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I use KeePass.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#5]
KeePass user here
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
KeePass is my choice.  You can host the file on Google Drive, Nextxloud, etc as well.

True.

Nextcloud has a cool plugin called Keeweb for use from a browser.  I use it all the time.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Keypass 2 on my PCs and phone.  Excellent little tool.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I set up an embassy from start9.com and run a Bitwarden on it. It uses tor network outside my lan. The whole thing runs on an Rpi 4b. The next version will have attached storage to keep your photos and files on.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Another Keepass 2 user here.  I do not trust cloud storage for anything critical, so I keep a copy of the password file on my home NAS, and my file server at work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I use myki. Works like last pass but no cloud storage and is private.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Yet another Keepass user here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been using Roboform.  Not seeing it in the posts above?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
How many devices do you need password managers for?
If it is one machine, you could use any of those mentioned above. If you are on multiple devices/platforms you need a central repository they all connect to. I used keepass for years and kept the repository on dropbox. Big mistake. I ended up with multiple (conflicted) copies on my desktop and then they migrated to dropbox. I had multiple copies of the file all over the place.
Whatever you decide on make sure you can share it with all and they stay syncronized.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Moved to Bitwarden after Lastpass started charging
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a paper notebook.  When I change a password, just go there, cross the old and write the new.  Unhackable.  And even if everything crashes, it's still there.

Have been thinking about making a copy and putting it inside the fireproof safe.  But that follows the same backup rules....  

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use a paper notebook.  When I change a password, just go there, cross the old and write the new.  Unhackable.  And even if everything crashes, it's still there.

Have been thinking about making a copy and putting it inside the fireproof safe.  But that follows the same backup rules....  

View Quote

Lol.

True story - I once worked at a company that decided to move to a new office. When coordinating the move, leadership preferred locale (closeness to their homes) over functionality. They pitched a fit when we (IT) asked for an air conditioned closet to put our rack mounts in. They later acquiesced and expanded the network closet. For some reason, the network closet had a window between it and the break room. So we decided to close the window blinds for opsec reasons. HR drone pitched another fit because he was all about transparency and wanted to show off the closet to our guests. From that moment on, we wrote the user names and passwords with markers on the window. HR drone comes back and advises us that isn't a good idea. In response we lower the  window blinds and told him we obfuscated the credentials with Blinds encryption. He was okay with that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've used LastPass for a while and loved it... but I'm considering the same move you did, and for the same reason.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Dumped LastPass for Bitwarden.  It’s not as good of a UI as LastPass, but it’s free.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I use keepass
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Browser for shit that doesn't really matter. Keypass for things that requires a fair bit of security. 2FA and my noggin for the rest.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
KeePass is my choice.  You can host the file on Google Drive, Nextcloud, etc as well.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for Bitwarden. Started on LastPass and then migrated after a few months. Have been slowly trying to make conversions to open source software, and I was worried LastPass would start charging. I haven't noticed a difference in functionality between the two. They both store passwords, sync between devices, and recognize/pop up when I need to enter credentials.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Memento is an android app that can handle different containers for different reasons. Family, Work, Friends, etc.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Was curious is there is any benefit to having a Android + Windows version from the same maker?

Do they share passwords between platforms?

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#26]
KeePass for free. 1Password for commercial.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Was curious is there is any benefit to having a Android + Windows version from the same maker?

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

For Keepass, different people make the desktop and mobile versions. The encrypted data file can be shared between platforms.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Keepass
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#29]
The password "blob" is a standard. Several different platforms use the same standard and are interchangeable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2022 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I have keepass for both. I manually export the file from my pc and import on my phone when ever I add entries. in theory I could do the other way if I were to sign up for something new from the phone but that rarely happens
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I self-host Bitwarden in containers.  Only accessible on my local network (and VPN), and the client will local cache+encrypt while the server isn't accessible.

Free is Free, and it works well.

KeePass for my TOTP, as I go with the "don't put passwords and TOTP on the same system" idea.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Look at Start9 Embassy. It is a privacy server on a raspberry pi. You can host a Bitwarden instance on it and it uses the tor network. I have it set up for both tor and lan connections. When I'm away from home it connects through tor.
Start9
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been using Roboform.  Not seeing it in the posts above?
View Quote

Apparently it has fallen out of favor? When I started using it a couple years ago it was one of the most highly recommended of the FREE options (that's what OP is asking for).

I really like that I can access sites right through the app which I believe is using a VPN. The credentials are stored locally and on the cloud with a master encryption key to unlock them but a pin for quick access when accessing on an approved device.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Tech dummy here,in regards Keepass. Do I need separate installs for my tablet, phone, and PC? Or is it a file I can log into from all 3 devices.

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Tech dummy here,in regards Keepass. Do I need separate installs for my tablet, phone, and PC? Or is it a file I can log into from all 3 devices.

Thanks for the help
View Quote

Apps are separate installs. The Keepass database file is what you would share via cloud. To avoid the cloud screwing stuff up, I actually use local offline copies of the database files on my PCs. That way, it's backed up automatically to local network storage which then is rotated offsite. Keepass has a handy database file sync option to push and pull changes between local and cloud files.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:49:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Bumpski to keep it from the Achieve Dungeon.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you find an acceptable solution?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

My only complaint about Bitwarden is that it won't allow you to save your master password on a private PC. Which ends up with you (if you use a complex password) having to store your password SOMEWHERE else, where it could be vulnerable.

I was OK with the slight risk of having LastPass remember my password on my home PC, just so that the master password wasn't stored somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Bitwarden here, no issues for several years now. Still have a paid LastPass account for the wife though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.

My only complaint about Bitwarden is that it won't allow you to save your master password on a private PC. Which ends up with you (if you use a complex password) having to store your password SOMEWHERE else, where it could be vulnerable.

I was OK with the slight risk of having LastPass remember my password on my home PC, just so that the master password wasn't stored somewhere else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Use a sentence or phrase as your master password (a phrase you can remember).

Still reasonably appropriate...
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:33:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Bitwarden is what you seek

Use on phone, PC. Use incredibly complex passwords for everything and it remembers for ya.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I use myki. Works like last pass but no cloud storage and is private.
View Quote

Well, myki was bought out and shut down. Wtf...

Switched to bitwarden.  Works fairly well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I switched from mSecure to KeePassXC recently.  KeePassXC works across Windows / Linux / Android / iOS, and you can host the file anywhere you want it.

It was a slight adjustment to my workflows, but overall it's pretty powerful, and as secure as any other password manager.  The KeePass ecosystem also has browser plug ins, but I haven't played around with those.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I use RoboForm pay version. They have (or had) a free one that limited number of passwords saved.
Mine syncs all devices I install it on. Work and home desktop, home laptop, Android phone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Another vote for Keepass.

I keep my vault in a cloud service that updates across all my devices.  

I'm mainly on Windows/Android.  Works great everywhere I've attempted so far.  Been using it for probably 6 years now?  

I have had conflicted versions of my vault randomly over the years...however, Keepass has a synchronize function in it that will merge the two files.  I've had no issues with that.  

I've started numerous people up on this set up and most of them like it.  

I like that:
1.  It's free.
2.  It's open source
3.  It's secure.
4.  It's not owned by anyone in particular.
5.  My vault is not on some known password vault server that is a target for hackers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Another vote for Keepass.

I keep my vault in a cloud service that updates across all my devices.  

I'm mainly on Windows/Android.  Works great everywhere I've attempted so far.  Been using it for probably 6 years now?  

I have had conflicted versions of my vault randomly over the years...however, Keepass has a synchronize function in it that will merge the two files.  I've had no issues with that.  

I've started numerous people up on this set up and most of them like it.  

I like that:
1.  It's free.
2.  It's open source
3.  It's secure.
4.  It's not owned by anyone in particular.
5.  My vault is not on some known password vault server that is a target for hackers.
View Quote

KeePass for the win. Currently hosting a vault inside our VPN for our geospatial team.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top