Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2021 9:27:01 AM EDT
I just had my 2011 Trek EX8 in for a suspension rebuild. Both ends are in good condition with the exception of the front air side seal. Oil is slowly getting over the top of it.  The mechanic who worked on it thought that it might just be a very slow leak, and that the seal looked good to him. So with some attention the bike should make it through another season or two.  He replaced the rear shock seals.

Unfortunately Fox no longer makes a seal kit for the 2011 fork. Which sucks because it is probably a $20 part. There are also very limited options for replacing the fork as it is a 26”.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket seal kit for 2011 era Fox forks?

And getting a new bike is not an option.  We just bought the last ML Trek EX8 XT that they had in stock for my son.  The Trek store was told not to expect any new bike inventory until 2022.  So there are availability issues and I don’t want to buy another bike right now.

I am in the position where I don’t want to stick a ton of money into my 2011.  Everyone at the shop told me that once I ride my son’s new EX8 that I was going to love it (29”, integrated drop post, new geometry with slacker head tube and short stem, etc.).  That being said when the mechanic rode my bike around the shop to test it he said he had forgotten how much fun it was to ride a 26”.

Yes my son has very new cool road and mountain bikes while I rehab my old rides.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I would put a search notification on eBay for the fork and buy one when it pops up. Other than that try to research what other shocks are out there, such as Rock Shock that might fit. NOS parts comes up for sale a lot.

Other than that rigid forks are available.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd bet that SKF still makes the seals in that size even if Fox discontinued it. Fox didn't make the seals anyway most likely. See if you can find the seal dimension.

A shop that specializes in motorcycle suspension might be able to help you out as well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you hang your bike upside down?  If so, stop doing that.

Marzocchi makes some nice forks. Maybe take a look.

Put your 2011 nostalgia parts on the shelf, they will eventually become a collectors item.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put your 2011 nostalgia parts on the shelf, they will eventually become a collectors item.
View Quote
What if I have inverted forks? Should I store the bike upside down then?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

No I do not hang my bikes upside down. I have a 6-7 bike front wheel ground rack (like at a school) that holds most of my bikes. The others are hanging upright from ceiling pulley systems.

And I addressed why I am trying to get another year out of my 2011 bike.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would put a search notification on eBay for the fork and buy one when it pops up. Other than that try to research what other shocks are out there, such as Rock Shock that might fit. NOS parts comes up for sale a lot.

Other than that rigid forks are available.

View Quote

Would the bike then be called a soft tail?  Not sure I have ever seen a bike with 4-5” of rear travel and a rigid fork.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd bet that SKF still makes the seals in that size even if Fox discontinued it. Fox didn't make the seals anyway most likely. See if you can find the seal dimension.

A shop that specializes in motorcycle suspension might be able to help you out as well.
View Quote

Thanks, I will check that out!  That was exactly what I was hoping for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have emailed SKF with my fork model and year. Will let you know what they say!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have emailed SKF with my fork model and year. Will let you know what they say!
View Quote
You might have to get the specs on the seals and go that way. ID, OD, how thick it is, single or double lip, etc.

A Fox rep might be able to get those for you. Or someone in their technical department.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You might have to get the specs on the seals and go that way. ID, OD, how thick it is, single or double lip, etc.

A Fox rep might be able to get those for you. Or someone in their technical department.
View Quote

Roger thanks!

I was hoping that SKD might still have those specs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you scoured the internet for that seal set?

And as a PSA to anyone who keeps a bike as a spare...go ahead and buy a spare rebuild kit for your fork and shock (every time you service it, go ahead and get another set of seals for net time), and a derrailleur hanger, and maybe any other oddball part that may be specific to your bike model and has a high likelihood of failing in the future...particularly when that size configuration goes out of style (26" wheel stuff for example).

As an example, I've had my 2.75" carbon anthem since 2014.  I hadn't replaced the rear suspension pivot bearings yet, and the bearing are readily available aftermarket, though there is one VERY specific bearing...but I can still get it.  But I also wanted/needed to go ahead and replace the hardware for all the pivot locations (bolts, bushings, etc)...I'm fairly confident I won't be able to get that hardware if I need to do it again, so I held onto the originals just in case I break something (or round out the hex heads).

I also tried to get a replacement derrailleur hanger to keep around.  I have the original, and a replacement for it, which was a skewer, but had upgraded the hanger and it's chipset to a 12mm rear axle...can't find the hanger and chipset for that anywhere. I stared at online pictures of Giant's other models for that year, and bought a set for a Trance.  It has an extra lobe, and of course Giant put a different size retainer bolt in this one, but it fits into my frame and will get me out of the woods if I need to pull it out of my seat bag.

Another example, a buddy has a Specialized bike.  Something happened to the "wishbone" that connects the shock to the seat stays...can't get one for that model/year from Specialized any more... start searching the forums for used bikes with cracked frames.

ETA: oh yeah...AND go to rockshox or Fox and download the manual for your fork and shock for that model year and save it on your computer.  They have all the service information, including decent directions for servicing, exploded parts diagrams, and parts and tool lists (with their part numbers that you can plug into google to search).  I have a digital folder for each of my bikes with all the information relating to that bike and in there, including the manufacturer's website add with parts list and geometry specs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have you scoured the internet for that seal set?

And as a PSA to anyone who keeps a bike as a spare...go ahead and buy a spare rebuild kit for your fork and shock (every time you service it, go ahead and get another set of seals for net time), and a derrailleur hanger, and maybe any other oddball part that may be specific to your bike model and has a high likelihood of failing in the future...particularly when that size configuration goes out of style (26" wheel stuff for example).

As an example, I've had my 2.75" carbon anthem since 2014.  I hadn't replaced the rear suspension pivot bearings yet, and the bearing are readily available aftermarket, though there is one VERY specific bearing...but I can still get it.  But I also wanted/needed to go ahead and replace the hardware for all the pivot locations (bolts, bushings, etc)...I'm fairly confident I won't be able to get that hardware if I need to do it again, so I held onto the originals just in case I break something (or round out the hex heads).

I also tried to get a replacement derrailleur hanger to keep around.  I have the original, and a replacement for it, which was a skewer, but had upgraded the hanger and it's chipset to a 12mm rear axle...can't find the hanger and chipset for that anywhere. I stared at online pictures of Giant's other models for that year, and bought a set for a Trance.  It has an extra lobe, and of course Giant put a different size retainer bolt in this one, but it fits into my frame and will get me out of the woods if I need to pull it out of my seat bag.

Another example, a buddy has a Specialized bike.  Something happened to the "wishbone" that connects the shock to the seat stays...can't get one for that model/year from Specialized any more... start searching the forums for used bikes with cracked frames.

ETA: oh yeah...AND go to rockshox or Fox and download the manual for your fork and shock for that model year and save it on your computer.  They have all the service information, including decent directions for servicing, exploded parts diagrams, and parts and tool lists (with their part numbers that you can plug into google to search).  I have a digital folder for each of my bikes with all the information relating to that bike and in there, including the manufacturer's website add with parts list and geometry specs.
View Quote

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I contacted the company referred to above and they asked a follow up question. With 3’ of snow on the ground mountain biking is kind of off my radar at the moment. But I will follow up and post back the results.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, if you are on a treadmill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top