Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2018 5:19:12 PM EDT
Formula Drift Corvette catches on Fire + Odi gets Top8 | Frenemies Irwindale
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm ok with it.  That's not what Vettes were made for.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Drifting = Johnny Tran level of automotive-faggotry.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drifting = Johnny Tran level of automative-faggotry.
View Quote
pretty much this. zero surprise in their complete lack of professionalism. Crew chief " I dunno whats wrong we threw parts at it" driver " well it caught fire lets do that again"
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm ok with it.  That's not what Vettes were made for.
View Quote
no overheating/catching fire is pretty much what they do on race tracks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Drifting = stupidity
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Drifting = stupidity
View Quote
yep.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the drone chase footage for that Irwindale race was done by Johnny FPV.

Check out the shit that racing drones are getting at drift events.

Dude I chat with about builds online.

Another dude putting racing drones and a part107 to good use

Johnny FPv one of the smoothest pilots with a racing drone
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Drifting = Johnny Tran level of automative-faggotry.
View Quote
Drifting.  When you absolutely, positively, have to wear a flat billed cap.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Drifting is to racing , what Putt-Putt is to golf.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except Putt-Putt is fun and not stupid
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
More like what pointing your finger and yelling "bang" is to shooting a .338
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
When did burnouts and getting sideways in cars become not fun?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:08:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When all the cheap used cars for drift platforms were snatched up and immediately crushed after being totaled by every kid who watched Tokyo Drift and Initial D.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When all the cheap used cars for drift platforms were snatched up and immediately crushed after being totaled by every kid who watched Tokyo Drift and Initial D.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's got a point. They ruined a lot of the fun cheap 90's Japanese cars so now it's really hard to find a decent example and when you do it's over priced.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He's got a point. They ruined a lot of the fun cheap 90's Japanese cars so now it's really hard to find a decent example and when you do it's over priced.
View Quote
The prices would have increased anyways, it only slightly accelerated the issue by a few years.

All decent 90s vehicles of any desire are getting harder to find, and you sure as hell can't blame a Tacoma going for 18k+ on drift cars. The big icons are now routinely selling for 50k+, and people are going to be in for one hell of a shock once the R34 becomes legal. Even 3000gts are starting to get expensive and you used to not even be able to give those away. Supply is dwindling all around, and it's not solely drift cars faults. I've seen just as many perfectly good cars be torn apart to support another project car, only to let the frame rot out in the backyard of a shop. And that's not even talking about rust, which I'm sure killed off way more than anything else at this point. The only 240SX I've seen for sale in the past few years that wasn't nearly rusted in half was an old drift car, and I almost bought it because it still would have been cheaper than fixing all of the rust on the others.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
When all of ARFCOM started collecting barbies, and thinking about dicks and flowers all day.

I honestly don't know how 1000HP, Tire smoke, and race cars sideways at speed became "Gay."

Arf is lost.  It's over, pack it up guys! may as well turn this forum into a pinterist catch all... The current ARF community would be much more happy.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.... Tokyo drift has caused a huge shortage in the used Mustang department.  LAWL>!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When all of ARFCOM started collecting barbies, and thinking about dicks and flowers all day.

I honestly don't know how 1000HP, Tire smoke, and race cars sideways at speed became "Gay."

Arf is lost.  It's over, pack it up guys! may as well turn this forum into a pinterist catch all... The current ARF community would be much more happy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Seems like most people on arfcom believes that a Corvette should only be used for waxing and polishing while wearing denim shorts and new balances. I’m not surprised. I didn’t realize that having excellent car control was (insert deragatory).

Meanwhile, here I am. A non white, not retired, no denim short or new balance owning Vette owner. Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I agree. Seems like most people on arfcom believes that a Corvette should only be used for waxing and polishing while wearing denim shorts and new balances. I’m not surprised. I didn’t realize that having excellent car control was (insert deragatory).

Meanwhile, here I am. A non white, not retired, no denim short or new balance owning Vette owner. Haters gonna hate.
https://i.imgur.com/eHzoujsh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, but can you autoX it and place near the top?
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Burnouts and drifting (an essential part of rally racing) aren't stupid, "Formula Drift" and the astounding douchebaggery associated with it's fans and participants is what's stupid.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:29:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not near the top, but at the top... Fast time of the day
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Burnouts and drifting (an essential part of rally racing) aren't stupid, "Formula Drift" and the astounding douchebaggery associated with it's fans and participants is what's stupid.
View Quote
All the responses in this thread is saying drifitng is gay. When I hear the word drifting, I associate it with the act of drifting, which I don’t see how how having car control is a negative.

If they had said that “Formula Drift culture/scene is gay”. I’d agree because of the reasons you posted.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:54:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Burnouts and drifting are fun and have been around long before it became a "sport".  Turning it into a sport is when the foolishness happened.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Burnouts and drifting are fun and have been around long before it became a "sport".  Turning it into a sport is when the foolishness happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Jn9wuNsh.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m far from drifter and have never gone drifting at an event. But sometimes, it’s fun to just let it all hang out and drift around when giving rides at an autocross when I’m not chasing times.

It’s awesome being known as the guy that does the biggest slides and smoke show while being able to throw down fast times as well.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not the case in my experience.  the drift guys are the "Jeep" type in my experience. Less care about looks, and much more about getting the car around the track. The stuff they do to the front ends to get the turning area on the cars, and the crash bars and such, is flat out awesome.

Good old hot rodding in my book.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That's not the case in my experience.  the drift guys are the "Jeep" type in my experience. Less care about looks, and much more about getting the car around the track. The stuff they do to the front ends to get the turning area on the cars, and the crash bars and such, is flat out awesome.

Good old hot rodding in my book.
View Quote
I think what he’s talking about is the fan base. Skinny jeans, ear tucking into their flat brim oversized hat, monster energy bedazzled shirts, vaping, snapchat/twitter/instagram/selfie squad life. Not the actual cars or drifting itself.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think what he’s talking about is the fan base. Skinny jeans, ear tucking into their flat brim oversized hat, monster energy bedazzled shirts, vaping, snapchat/twitter/instagram/selfie squad life. Not the actual cars or drifting itself.
View Quote
That's the Bro-Doz truck group... possibly the SO-CAL bagged C-10 group, but not much Drift. I find the Drift folks to be a little more geekish, technical tuner types.

Are you guys confusing Formula Drift for the "Stance" group????
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Drifting is stupid, mmkay?  It often leads to a dick addiction, too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:39:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Different strokes for different folks.

My wife and I went to Winter Jam at Sonoma Raceway today - it’s a drifting event/weekend. My 52 y/o, water fowl & upland game bird hunting, white male, high end kitchen design/build friend was running his supercharged 350Z. He & his wife drove up from SoCal in their 36ft Sportruck RV & 24ft Intec alum trailer - motorhome does double duty for her retriever dog trial hobby. Not all drifter’s are low budget hacked together beater cars/operations.

My friend has been referred to as the elder statesmen of the community??

There were a lot of younger generation people - a lot of vaping & pot smoke was in the air.

It’s entertaining to watch but I prefer off-road racing - ie SCORE Baja 1000.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drifting = stupidity
yep.
I feel better now knowing I am not the only one who thought this.  I'd never seen it before and hope to never see any more.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I feel better now knowing I am not the only one who thought this.  I'd never seen it before and hope to never see any more.
View Quote
Some people like cars.... Some people like cooking. Hey, I think ARF has a cooking forum if you want to go that way.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some people like cars.... Some people like cooking. Hey, I think ARF has a cooking forum if you want to go that way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like racing, drifting is to racing as ice skating is to athletic sports.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s winter - I’m sure you can find an ice rink and provide video evidence of yourself completing a single jump to show how easy & non-athletic ice skating is.

I bet there are some hockey players who would be willing to help you show us how easy it is to skate....
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It’s winter - I’m sure you can find an ice rink and provide video evidence of yourself completing a single jump to show how easy & non-athletic ice skating is.

I bet there are some hockey players who would be willing to help you show us how easy it is to skate....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was it's a much more subjective "sport".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top