BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just wanting to provide closure to this post.

Ended up costing about $3500 and they kept the vehicle for almost 8 weeks.
New lifters, one valve was bent, new camshaft, machine shop work, new cam phaser and solenoid.

View Quote

If they didn’t do a full timing kit install, including chains, phasers on both sides, oil pump, tensioners…… I’d absolutely sell that vehicle or be prepared to have that work done within 50k.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
That's the plan. Shop only repaired the passenger side bank.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
My 5.4 shit the bed about the same time the OPs.

They just finished  replacing my 5.4. The total bill for a 100% brand new engine(except the intake manifold and exhaust headers) was $10,500.00  I will be picking it up early next week to see how that went.

I really like the vehicle, and did not really like what I was seeing on the rebuild options so opted for one of the few remaining 5.4s from Ford.

Ya, I expect the transmission to go out in 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:14:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Engine in my 06 was supposedly replaced by ford with junkyard paint marker at some point in its life...its ticking slightly now with 270k on the truck

I don't change the oil because it uses so much i constantly have to add to it

I am currently looking for a new daily
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
From the time mine started ticking to self destruct was probably around 2000 miles.  The ticking got very loud in middle of the cover, passenger side, which is the most common.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Sold my 05 5.4 about two years ago. Engine started ticking at about 100k
Was still ticking at 250k when I sold it. AC, trans, water pump, engine coolant, trans fluid, were all original.
I only changed tires, alternator, brakes, and oil/filter.
Though the last 30k miles I had it, it was going through ignition coils like crazy and pretty much all the ignition coil mounting bolt holes were cracked and I couldn’t tighten them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
06 5.4 3V 225k

Did complete timing job on it at 200k had the start up clacking when cold

Replaced oil pump, VCT, and lash adjusters and followers.

I installed all the lash adjusters, laid the cam in the timing position, and installed followers that were not under tension, torqued down cam caps, then put in the rest of the followers one at a  time.

Took like 3 days to do it, like 8hours per day.
Link Posted: 4/18/2023 11:13:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
06 5.4 3V 225k

Did complete timing job on it at 200k had the start up clacking when cold

Replaced oil pump, VCT, and lash adjusters and followers.

I installed all the lash adjusters, laid the cam in the timing position, and installed followers that were not under tension, torqued down cam caps, then put in the rest of the followers one at a  time.

Took like 3 days to do it, like 8hours per day.
View Quote

Same.  Although it took me 4 days, a couple of them I only worked 4-5 hours and I am meticulous and slow.  And old.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I said fuck it and got a new ish f150

Anyone want an 06 ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 7:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd bet the 5.4 Ford pickup is for sale in yards around my area 3-1 against any other older pickup truck brand put together.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top