Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2021 2:50:22 AM EDT
Recently, I’ve found myself thinking back to the late 1990’s and early 2000’s… it’s amazing what some songs on XM radio can do to you… and I really wish i would have done some things differently… I’m just kinda in my feelz… I’m turning 43 next month… my chick is 33… and I’m just being honest. I would give my left nut to have 10 years back… knowing what I know now… and I know I’m fortunate… because I’ve known many people I’ve grown up with that aren’t here any more… and I’m happy to get older every year… but fuck… what I wouldn’t do to go back 10 years…

That’s all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Ditto
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:58:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm about the same age...yeah I wish I could go back and do some things different but life is still going on and it's not too late to do better so I don't feel the same when I'm 63 or 83.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:04:18 AM EDT
[#3]
No way. My kids are too important to risk fucking up the timeline. I’ll take some anti-aging potion though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:14:15 AM EDT
[#4]
every year got better for me.  would not necessarily want to go ten years back but would do it for investment reasons.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
You are looking at this the wrong way.

It’s just as likely that if you went back 10 years your choices could have lead you to much worse circumstances.  You just don’t know.  The choices you made and all those experiences got you to the mindset you have now, to all those “things you wish you wish you knew then..”. The mistakes made you who you are.  

If you have regrets about things you didn’t do, do them. You’re not old.  I have those thoughts sometimes too.  I turn 46 this year.  For me, I’m pretty happy in general I just can’t believe how fast time has gone.  2005 doesn’t seem so long ago, but it kind of is.  I feel like if I blink I’ll wake up at 75 years old.  Life is just so short.  You shouldn’t waste time not doing the things you want to do.

It’s too late to do some things ya maybe.  It’s too late to be a professional baseball player or rock star, but I did do a lot of other things, and I have many other things I want to do.

In the end it doesn’t matter anyway.  No matter what you’ve done, no one is going to remember you after 2 or 3 years. Life goes on.  If you’re lucky maybe you do something that lands you in the history books, but when you’re dead what the hell does that matter?  If there is an afterlife,  some kind of transcendence of energy, the soul, you’re not going to be sitting on a couch in the netherworld  worrying about earthy BS.  Enjoy what you got.  Be glad you’re not suck in some shit hole country, you have a better than average IQ and you don’t have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from.  

The only lottery I want to win in life is to stay healthy and live to 100 with a high quality of life.  After that I want to be a good person and not add to other peoples misery.   Thats literally is about all that.matters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The one that gets me is turning on the "Classic Rock" station and hearing Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, etc..

Another fact I learned the other day that was a bit of a mindfuck is that Kurt Cobain's daughter is now older than him at the time of his death (27).  She's 28.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:19:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's just as likely that if you went back 10 years your choices could have lead you to much worse circumstances.  You just don't know.  The choices you made and all those experiences got you to the mindset you have now, to all those "things you wish you wish you knew then..". The mistakes made you who you are.  

If you have regrets about things you didn't do, do them. You're not old.  I have those thoughts sometimes too.  I turn 46 this year.  For me, I'm pretty happy in general I just can't believe how fast time has gone.  2005 doesn't seem so long ago, but it kind of is.  I feel like if I blink I'll wake up at 75 years old.  Life is just so short.  You shouldn't waste time not doing the things you want to do.

It's too late to do some things ya maybe.  It's too late to be a professional baseball player or rock star, but I did do a lot of other things, and I have many other things I want to do.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway.  No matter what you've done, no one is going to remember you after 2 or 3 years. Life goes on.  If you're lucky maybe you do something that lands you in the history books, but when you're dead what the hell does that matter?  If there is an afterlife,  some kind of transcendence of energy, the soul, you're not going to be sitting on a couch in the netherworld  worrying about earthy BS.  Enjoy what you got.  Be glad you're not suck in some shit hole country, you have a better than average IQ and you don't have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from.  

The only lottery I want to win in life is to stay healthy and live to 100 with a high quality of life.  After that I want to be a good person and not add to other peoples misery.   Thats literally is about all that.matters.
View Quote

good post mang
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

good post mang
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just as likely that if you went back 10 years your choices could have lead you to much worse circumstances.  You just don't know.  The choices you made and all those experiences got you to the mindset you have now, to all those "things you wish you wish you knew then..". The mistakes made you who you are.  

If you have regrets about things you didn't do, do them. You're not old.  I have those thoughts sometimes too.  I turn 46 this year.  For me, I'm pretty happy in general I just can't believe how fast time has gone.  2005 doesn't seem so long ago, but it kind of is.  I feel like if I blink I'll wake up at 75 years old.  Life is just so short.  You shouldn't waste time not doing the things you want to do.

It's too late to do some things ya maybe.  It's too late to be a professional baseball player or rock star, but I did do a lot of other things, and I have many other things I want to do.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway.  No matter what you've done, no one is going to remember you after 2 or 3 years. Life goes on.  If you're lucky maybe you do something that lands you in the history books, but when you're dead what the hell does that matter?  If there is an afterlife,  some kind of transcendence of energy, the soul, you're not going to be sitting on a couch in the netherworld  worrying about earthy BS.  Enjoy what you got.  Be glad you're not suck in some shit hole country, you have a better than average IQ and you don't have to worry about where your next meal is going to come from.  

good post mang

Aye.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Regret is such a useless feeling. Retrospect and learning much less so. 10 years is such massive change. Could be worse had i not done the things I had done, even though they lead to pain, I may be worse off.

I miss the feelings and emotions of the mid-late 90’s before realized the truth
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:32:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Right now I'm drinking some alcohol and listing to some older music, thinking about the clubbing I did about a decade ago. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 3:40:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Recently, I’ve found myself thinking back to the late 1990’s and early 2000’s… it’s amazing what some songs on XM radio can do to you… and I really wish i would have done some things differently… I’m just kinda in my feelz… I’m turning 43 next month… my chick is 33… and I’m just being honest. I would give my left nut to have 10 years back… knowing what I know now… and I know I’m fortunate… because I’ve known many people I’ve grown up with that aren’t here any more… and I’m happy to get older every year… but fuck… what I wouldn’t do to go back 10 years…

That’s all.
View Quote

I used to play the "what if" game. What if I hadn't married my 1st wife? What if I had gone into the service at 18 instead of 25? What if I had gone Air Force instead of Army? What if I had made a move on that girl I liked in high school? The list is endless...but consider: one small change back then would invalidate everything you have now, since your current present is a direct result of all the choices you made in the past.

From Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

SYBOK: Now learn something about yourself.
KIRK: No. I refuse.
McCOY: Jim, try to be open about this.
KIRK: About what? That I've made the wrong choices in my life? That I turned left when I should've turned right? I know what my weaknesses are. I don't need Sybok to take me on a tour of them.
McCOY: If you'd just...
KIRK: To be brainwashed by this con man?
McCOY: I was wrong. This 'con man' took away my pain!
KIRK: Dammit, Bones, you're a doctor. You know that pain and guilt can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand. They're things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. ...If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my pain taken away. I need my pain.

The takeaway here is that your choices, both good and bad, make you who you are.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
If your parents are still alive and you are close to either of them, spend more time with them. I lost my father last year and regret not spending more time with him. And he was the best dad anyone could have.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Same OP. Wish I could go back ten years. Will be 44 before Christmas.

And yes, parents, love them while you can can. I lost both mine in the last 6 years. I would trade a year off my life for my mom's cooking or another Sunday morning with my dad at a funshow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I’ve done some good things, I’ve done some horrible things.

I’ve blown opportunities and fully capitalized on others.

I’m just thankful I’m here and have what I have.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#15]
My kids were born when I was in my early 20s. They are grown now, I've finally got that part of life overwith and can finally do whatever the fuck I want again. Hell no I ain't going back 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:40:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Pics of chick? Rules, damnit!

And yes, getting old is a mf’er!
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Math works out. I'm 48 and reminisce about the 80's and early 90's. Good times. Regret lots of potential ass I passed on or was too scared to make a move.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have nostalgia while remaining aware that I was often miserable and pining for the future during those times.
I believe past and future are never as good or bad as they are remembered/imagined.
The present is the time to focus on but it's easier said than done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I’m turning 47 this year, selling one of my companies and can finally move back home to FL. 10 years ago would be a huge setback but I might do the same thing I’m doing now. Wished I had of done it sooner but that’s life.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a few years ahead of you OP, best advice I can give is don't worry about what you cannot change in the past, it will drive you batshit crazy.

Take the past, and make adjustments moving forward. Do you have kids, plan on kids? Take your knowledge and prepare yourself for the future/retirement as well as them.

We've all been there, cherish what you have, and be very fortunate that you did grow up in that era, or anytime before the internet.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I turned 44 a week ago. I don’t look back at what I missed or what I could have done. I am totally content with what I have accomplished and still live every day as I did in my 20s, just with more money and the company of my wife and boys.

Mountain biking has been a huge part of my life since I was 13. Now I am riding trails with my 13 year old. I focus on what lies ahead, not what I missed or could’ve done in the past. My focus is to live my life for me and for my family. We constantly plan our next adventure. I’m the head coach of my son’s mountain bike team and love growing the next generation.

Aging is what it is. Embrace where you are and live every minute you can. My goal is to leave this world content with how I lived and with an empty tank, whether that is today or 50 years from now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Late 90s-early 2000s was our newlywed period.   Got married in '96 and first child born in '02.  It's actually pretty hard to remember what life was life before the kids.  Seems like a blur of work, late nights/late mornings on the weekends and a ton of hours on the Playstation.  

Only real regrets I think I have are things that were out of our control.  Mainly I resent that Harvey stole about 2 years from the *honeymoon era* of our family.  Kids were all at the perfect ages for maximum family enjoyment and adventure time and our lives were basically put on hold while we rebuilt.  Now the oldest is an adult, starting college and will soon be trying to fit our family time into her new life instead of the other way around.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep but just for one reason - Bitcoin
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Recently, I’ve found myself thinking back to the late 1990’s and early 2000’s… it’s amazing what some songs on XM radio can do to you… and I really wish i would have done some things differently… I’m just kinda in my feelz… I’m turning 43 next month… my chick is 33… and I’m just being honest. I would give my left nut to have 10 years back… knowing what I know now… and I know I’m fortunate… because I’ve known many people I’ve grown up with that aren’t here any more… and I’m happy to get older every year… but *… what I wouldn’t do to go back 10 years…

That’s all.
View Quote

Having my body from 19 years old today would be nice, but I know it's not gonna happen, so I don't dwell on it.

As a 92 year old lady told me, "getting old ain't for wimps." Besides the obvious physical stuff, and the loss of friends and family, you lose institutions, ways of life, and all other sorts of things, and you become a stranger in a very strange land, with almost nobody around you who can understand and relate with you at a deep level.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:03:11 AM EDT
[#25]
43 here and I concur.

ETA:  I'd take going back 10 years, but if we're dreaming, I'd really prefer to go back to early 20's and redo some things.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#26]
No way would I go back, my life is good and I might fuck it up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No way would I go back, my life is good and I might fuck it up.
View Quote

I’d take advantage of all the times the pussy was there for the taking and I didn’t realize it, but I ended up with a great wife so yeah I’d be concerned I’d make a real mistake with some other woman.

As far as career and investing-meh I’m okay.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm greedy, I want to go back to 24.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I’d take advantage of all the times the pussy was there for the taking and I didn’t realize it, but I ended up with a great wife so yeah I’d be concerned I’d make a real mistake with some other woman.

As far as career and investing-meh I’m okay.
View Quote

Love my wife but yeah I wouldn’t mind a month of banging skanks again
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I am the same. Just turned 41. Would love to go back to 31 knowing what I know now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Realize that you'll be wanting ten years ten years from now, and think that 43 was so young.

Live every day like you are back ten years.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ditto
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Turning 41 here.

I don’t think I’d change anything, but if I could just go ride around and visit the old days it would sure be cool.

Pre-9/11 the USA was a different place.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I’m pretty happy where I’m at. I would be worried about fucking up the timeline to much.
If I had to get sent back though I’d prefer my childhood. Just to enjoy being with family that’s gone now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#35]
“Youth is wasted on the young”
The Faces - Ooh La La (1973)
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Every man has similar thoughts.  Regret is a powerful emotion that can really beat a man down.

You made choices that you thought were best, and sometimes they turn out wrong.   But even if you could go back, there is no way that you could guarantee a better outcome.   Bad or unpredictable things are always happening.  So you will likely not really have a better life if you could go back.

Maybe the way thing have gone are actually the best they could have been?  You will never know.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Turned 40 a few months ago and yes, I give anything to go back 10 years for a number of life changing reasons.  Unfortunately we don't have that luxury.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Aye.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

good post mang

Aye.

For sure. Refelection is just part of getting older.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Just work on the next 10 OP.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Lithium?  Puts me in the same mood. 40 YO here
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#41]
If you haven't seen it, watch "Almost Famous". It's on Amazon right now. Great movie with an outstanding soundtrack that captures a great deal of the turbulence associated with growing up in a rapidly changing society. Cast is amazing, too.

That was the point in my life where I began making some sketchy decisions...life impacting...though I couldn't of known it at the time. I'm always haunted by the belief that I wasted a lot of potential, but good parents and a great wife helped me steer through that in later life, and I'm in a good place now with respect to my past.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I wouldn’t want to go back for a do over. My life was kinda awesome then and I wouldn’t change a thing,

But I would be very interested in remaining me/with my life now but doing so in that era.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Thread title should be "The Fuckup's Epiphany".

(except that would be an illegal title)
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#45]
I am 42,  I enjoy telling the 18 year old carding me for buying bourbon that I was born during the Carter administration.  I dont think any of them know who Carter is, lol.  So far I'd say my 30s were the best years.  I lived overseas and visited 15 countries over that time.  Only now, am I finally laying down roots and finally own my own home.  I think things have played out great so far.  No regrats here.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#46]
I've don't do the regrets thing. But I do feel like the internet has pretty much fucked society, I miss the before time. For example, conversation at a party. It's all pretty much small talk or pointless banter. Anything worth telling or talking about has already been posted on Facebook or via text.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:27:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Midlife crisis thread?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm 46.

What you're talking about is what we used to call a midlife crisis.

Yes, I'd do things differently, given the chance. But all considered, life is very sweet, and while it's OK to visit the past every now and then, you can't live there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Wait'll you hit your 70s. You'll be looking back a half-century.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I think we all wish we could go back and change some things.  Some more than others I would imagine.

I was just talking to a friend and we came to the realization that a lot of the music we remember from growing up is now on the local oldies channel......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top