Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2022 12:01:16 AM EDT
The Mormons have a series of "Home Storage Centers" throughout the US where you can buy good quality canned staple foods for pretty much at cost. (as I understand it) So they're not trying to make bigger profit margins, they're running these centers as a favor to their members and the general public.

Granted, you're paying a bit more because things are canned and last up to 30 years, but I think it's still a pretty good way to measure price changes because they don't hide price increases via shrinkflation like the supermarkets.

Comparing the Jan 1, 2021 Pricing sheet to the Jan 1, 2022 Pricing sheet, I found that prices went up on avg 11.27%... Almost double the official food inflation number that the Bureau of Labor Statistics shit out today.  

This is just a straight average of all the combined items. If you exclude apples, the group went up nearly 14%. In addition, the people who work these centers are volunteers as I understand it, so you're probably not seeing as much inflation from rising labor costs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

https://www.yahoo.com/now/food-prices-soar-inflation-sees-154242902.html

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In before the bash fest !
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 12:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not a Mormon but I respect them immensely.
(Other than Mitt Romney)

I wish others were taught resiliency and self-reliance with the same vigor as they seem to teach.

Always funny looking at Utah home listings on zillow and seeing basements and pantries that look like a miniature Costco warehouse

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Please tell my employer about these rising labor costs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The Mormon number is much  closer from my experience.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:16:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Why can't you be happy with extra apple slices OP?

(If they put real inflation numbers out, the USD would probably collapse ricky tick)
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why can't you be happy with extra apple slices OP?

(If they put real inflation numbers out, the USD would probably collapse ricky tick)
View Quote

You can say that for all current fiat currencies. Every single nation is upside down right now. Currently - and perhaps only for the time being - the USD is the least awful of the bunch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Seeing how the Commerce Dept is constantly changing the commodities around in order to achieve the lowest inflation rate, I think I would trust the LDS figure over anything from the China Joe regime.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:30:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I have ordered from them and they are GTG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:30:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both in my career and personal life, some of the most stand up people I've met were Mormon.

The older I get the more respect I have for their church.

Won't get me convert though
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:39:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Effing Mormons and their canned goods.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You can say that for all current fiat currencies. Every single nation is upside down right now. Currently - and perhaps only for the time being - the USD is the least awful of the bunch.
View Quote

Pretty sure I read that in ancient times nation debt would be somewhat regularly forgiven.

Not sure where I read this. Most US debt is owed to individuals and most are US based.
I wonder if that debt erace practice today would strengthen us or cause collapse.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:45:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Excuse me, Sir. Do you have a moment to talk about rising food costs?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Please allow me as a member of the church here in Utah to say sorry for Mittens.

No one I know thinks Romney is
1) Honest
2) A good person
3) A faithful member

On another note - I wonder if any of that price increase has to do with increase in labor cost or materials cost? Anyone know if it's more expensive to get cans these days?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure what you mean by upside down.

Other countries are not running eternal budget/trade deficits like the US.  

The exorbitant privileges of issuing the world reserve currency is the only reason the US is the "least awful."  Without that, this thing goes tits up tomorrow morning.  

Due to the foolishness of fiat-based world reserve currencies, the fundamental strength of the USD doesn't support the current market valuation.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Excuse me, Sir. Do you have a moment to talk about rising food costs?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 5:07:04 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to have to check one of these stores out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I hear they're going to reroute the Potomac thru the Treasuray printing rooms, start water cooling those presses..
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#20]
How is the canned meat selection with those places?

That seems to be the big sticking spot with a lot of preps when it comes to food.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#21]
OP screen name checks out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#22]
FJB and every damn Democrat in office.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, anybody who isn't a politician, CEO or celebrity with an assistant and actually does their own shopping knows it's way more than the gov says.

There's a local chicken supplier who sells 40lb boxes of breasts and tendies out of the back of their plant. A year ago it was $65 for a 40lb box. Last month it was $105.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Please allow me as a member of the church here in Utah to say sorry for Mittens.

1) Honest
2) A good person
3) A faithful member

On another note - I wonder if any of that price increase has to do with increase in labor cost or materials cost? Anyone know if it's more expensive to get cans these days?
View Quote

Cans could be a good chunk of it.

That’s why you can’t get spray paint in the past 2 quarters.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1) Honest
2) A good person
3) A faithful member

Ultimately it doesn't matter. Inflation includes all costs, whether it be the food itself, the packaging or the labor.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That seems to be the big sticking spot with a lot of preps when it comes to food.
View Quote
They don't have canned meat unfortunately
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even spam?  

I mean if can call it meat....
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:23:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1) Honest
2) A good person
3) A faithful member

View Quote
Aluminum was up 50% in 2021 so that's definitely a factor

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Lets Go Brandon!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm not a Mormon but I respect them immensely.
(Other than Mitt Romney)

I wish others were taught resiliency and self-reliance with the same vigor as they seem to teach.

Always funny looking at Utah home listings on zillow and seeing basements and pantries that look like a miniature Costco warehouse

View Quote

This use to be true.  Not so sure any longer.  Seems as though they have taken a hard left/woke turn like every other organization over the last few years.

ETA: not the membership by and large, though there are plenty of 20 somethings that can easily be described as liberal/commie.  Most definitely the leadership though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 10:26:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This use to be true.  Not so sure any longer.  Seems as though they have taken a hard left/woke turn like every other organization over the last few years.

ETA: not the membership by and large, though there are plenty of 20 somethings that can easily be described as liberal/commie.  Most definitely the leadership though.
View Quote
Very difficult to think of any major groups in America that hasn't been pozzed yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top