Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2019 8:50:12 PM EDT
Last july my son and I attended Flite Fest in OH. We had just planned on watching, but wit h Flite test passing out free foam I decided to build my first RC plane. To say I was bitten by the RC bug would be a huge understatement.

Here are some of my build..

Got several planes knocked out this week includung a Mighty Mini Skyraider. I updated my F7F with a blended tail and added details to the AN-2 AND big A1 Skyraider.

I left my transmitter out in the field...and then ran over it lol. I forgot to glue in power pods on my F7. One if them worked its way out and sliced up the nose.  Easy fix there.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2019 1:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey J!  How have the father/son build days gone?  I've been on a self-imposed FB hiatus the past few weeks, so wasn't able to see how the last one went.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:18:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I was back in the day when David Weidnstall(sp) and Peter Sripol(arfcommer) were regulars.

Then they added that stupid loud kid that I want to punch in the face and I unsubscribed.

I had a versawing that never quite flew right for FPV fixed wing.   Then moved to a Versacopter and had some good flights on 3S with it using 15amp escs.   I crashed the shit out it when I went to 4s with 6in props on 2300kv motors...

Moved on.

I maybe chdck their channel once every 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey J!  How have the father/son build days gone?  I've been on a self-imposed FB hiatus the past few weeks, so wasn't able to see how the last one went.
View Quote
It went really well, the weather the night before hurt attendance.  We will for sure be doing it again. We will coordinate it with Josh from @flitetest coming down again.

Been so hard to find people to fly RCs with in our area.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Flite Test has an awesome YT channel. I am new to RC, and it has been both informative and very entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was back in the day when David Weidnstall(sp) and Peter Sripol(arfcommer) were regulars.

Then they added that stupid loud kid that I want to punch in the face and I unsubscribed.

I had a versawing that never quite flew right for FPV fixed wing.   Then moved to a Versacopter and had some good flights on 3S with it using 15amp escs.   I crashed the shit out it when I went to 4s with 6in props on 2300kv motors...

Moved on.

I maybe chdck their channel once every 3 months.
View Quote
I used to watch them as well when David Windestaal was on, and some when Peter Sripol was on - mostly hoping they would offer a kit of his VTOL model back then (chimera I think).   I really have not paid them any attention since those two left
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:06:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate Flite Test with a passion but I can't articulate why.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hate Flite Test with a passion but I can't articulate why.
View Quote
Alex and Josh are okay.

I get the whole community togetherness wholesome churchy thing is just who they are.   I have a friend like that who is so wholesome it kinda makes ya sick but it is kinda refreshing.

I HATE that Stephan moron.   He is like an idiotic only child home schooler that was let loose on nothing but sugar snacks and has never known a beat down.  Annoying.

The over excited jumping up and down "dude perfect" pandering to booger eating fortnite kiddies is what makes me not watch more than 30 seconds.   Just chill the fuck out.

I unsubscribed the instant that smiling schmuck was signed on.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Been working on a few new designs for FT. Love the F14

DIY Twin 70mm EDF F14 with Swing Wings

Flite Test P47 Jug--(coming soon)

Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Crazy awesome stuff!  Horizon better watch out, they've got competition!  lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys have been killing it lately with these fun fighters. I should get one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Crazy awesome stuff!  Horizon better watch out, they've got competition!  lol
View Quote
Horizon sells their stuff.
Link Posted: 9/22/2019 10:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I watched the video on the giant scale P-47.

That was amazing how it flew.   But it’s not for sale yet, and probably a couple hundred $$$.

And I have the plans for the giant Keith Parks P-47, anyways.

But I did just order the regular sized P-47 Razorback.   Will be my first Flite Test kit.
The only thing I wasn’t crazy about was the canopy (its flat on top of the razorback.  I might have to try pulling a clear plastic  canopy, still for the razorback  version.  Ought to be later this week.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched the video on the giant scale P-47.  
That was amazing how it flew.   But it's not for sale yet, and probably a couple hundred $$$.    
And I have the plans for the giant Keith Parks P-47, anyways.

But I did just order the regular sized P-47 Razorback.   Will be my first Flite Test kit.
The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the canopy (its flat on top of the razorback.  I might have to try pulling a clear plastic  canopy, still for the razorback  version.  Ought to be later this week.
View Quote
You will love the razorback. Its still one of my favorite builds and flies great.

I have a ton if others done and several more in various stages of testing. I am sure loving foam board.

If you are on instagram look me up trieditathomeofficial

DIY Foam board F16 w/Single BDF

Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do the F-14 and -16 actually have jet engines?  I was expecting to see props.
View Quote
The F14 uses 70mm EDFs, the F16 is set up for 70mm, 90mm and an all new BDF(shown above) which consists of a drone motor, three blade prop and 3d printed housing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Do the F-14 and -16 actually have jet engines?  I was expecting to see props.
View Quote
The F14 uses 70mm EDFs, the F16 is set up for 70mm, 90mm and an all new BDF(shown above) which consists of a drone motor, three blade prop and 3d printed housing.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#17]
The P-51 looks very nice. (As do all of yours).  That may be my next one when it’s released.

I don’t look at Instagram other than the classic arms contests pretty much, but I will check out your site
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks awesome.  What kid would you recommend starting with?
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
have you ever built or flown before?
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#20]
@Splinter189
It looks like on the video, hot glue is used pretty much exclusively building the foamboard P-47 (and others)

I was a little concerned about using that.  PA isn’t quite texas hot, but my workshop gets hot in the summer, and that is where I store all my hobby stuff.  Plus being in a vehicle at times.
Would there be any problems using liquid glue like titebond or even Elmer’s white glue building these?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Splinter189
It looks like on the video, hot glue is used pretty much exclusively building the foamboard P-47 (and others)

I was a little concerned about using that.  PA isn't quite texas hot, but my workshop gets hot in the summer, and that is where I store all my hobby stuff.  Plus being in a vehicle at times.
Would there be any problems using liquid glue like titebond or even Elmer's white glue building these?
Thanks
View Quote
The only glue I have used other than hot glue is Aileen'a tacky glue. It super strong but takes forever to dry.  I have definitley had glue come undone from the heat.  I have heard of people using foam safe CA but i have not used it personally.  Wish I had a little more insight to offer
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#22]
That’s good.   Thanks
The P-47 is supposed to be delivered by UPS today.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Be sure and post pics once you're done :)
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neither.  Looking more for teens, this might be something they are interested in.  They have no experience in RC planes.

@Splinter189
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Neither.  Looking more for teens, this might be something they are interested in.  They have no experience in RC planes.

@Splinter189
View Quote
i would probably go with the simple cub or the scout. Both are a cinch to build and easy to fly.  As with all things flite test you can buy a speed build kit or download for free.  Cool thing with both of these is they are both a cinch to repair.  If you get a speed build kit and crash it, you can download and remake damaged parts using dollar tree foam board.
Link Posted: 9/30/2019 9:30:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Here are two planes I have been working on for sometime now.  Eventually FT will be offering EDF planes.  Currently we are working on a couple powerplant options.  The two planes shown here are using BDFs., BDF stands for Ben's Ducted fans, named after creator Ben Harber.  

BDFs are a low cost alternative to EDFs. BDFs will only work on certain lightweight airframes. BDFs are made from quad motors, off the shelf props and a 3D printed housing.  They dont have a ton of power but they are a great solution for somone wanting to go from flying prop planes to EDF style planes.

Anyway, here is some of the progress..

DIY Flite Test Foam Board F18 w/BDFs

DIY Foam board F16 w/Single BDF

Link Posted: 10/4/2019 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Just fent on the simple cub. I've flown a little bit before so hopefully I pick it back up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just fent on the simple cub. I've flown a little bit before so hopefully I pick it back up.
View Quote
The simple cub is way too fun!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope so.  

My kiddo has decided the FT folks are the coolest ever, so we are building a Cub right now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]
OP has really expanded his range of designs.
Nice thread in RCGroups recently on them

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3530391-Flite-Test-Master-Series-Development
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Doh, it never registered OP in this thread started the RCG thread.  

I might be commenting in both.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Any new designs OP has worked on lately?
I guess the China virus shutdown has kept flitetest from releasing the latest, the P-51
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#34]
I made a few of the beginner FliteTest kits and quickly realized I am not much of an RC flyer.  I did help a friend who wanted a better firewall design by making some in Tinkercad and 3D printing them.  They have pointed tabs that push into the foam core and hold better than just using tape and hot glue.  He loved them and I printed quite a few for him.  Never shared them before, but if anyone wants to try them feel free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4320065
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:58:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Peter has his own channel now, good stuff.  His DIY electric ultralight has a boltface on the tail:
Homemade Electric Airplane MK4
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#36]
OP needs to talk to Flite Test about releasing the new giant Corsair as a kit.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#37]
They seem to have slowed down releasing any new master series kits.  Need to see (and buy) something new.

And no giant ones at all I don’t think.  I think the projected prices were pretty high, for some sheets on laser cut foam board.  But I think it’d be worth have a giant P-47 that weights ten pounds or something like that
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey it has been a while since I popped in here, tons of new planes, is there a good way to link photos? What I have been doing doesn't seem to be working.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey it has been a while since I popped in here, tons of new planes, is there a good way to link photos? What I have been doing doesn't seem to be working.
View Quote
Arfcom has its own image hosting!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Here are a few I have been working on recently.  Discovered quite a few new techniques that really adds to scale appearance.  Gotta go back and fix pics from earlier posts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Gotta have that Stuka

P-39 looks great, and skyraider.  
FT needs to get on releasing new designs faster!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#42]
That Tigercat is a sexy beast.

I wonder how it would do off a slope?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That Tigercat is a sexy beast.

I wonder how it would do off a slope?
View Quote
I would think it would be a winner
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#44]
You are doing some great builds!!!  That A-10 looks nearly as good as my Dynam and the Skyraider looks great also.  I'm at a little over 60 planes now all store bought.  I've crashed and destroyed enough beyond repair my spare parts bin is adding up.  I bought a fair amount of foam board a year ago to try this but never did mainly because of the lack of and expense of buying parts not to mention the difficulty of finding ones in stock with this covid crap.  May try this before much longer.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You are doing some great builds!!!  That A-10 looks nearly as good as my Dynam and the Skyraider looks great also.  I'm at a little over 60 planes now all store bought.  I've crashed and destroyed enough beyond repair my spare parts bin is adding up.  I bought a fair amount of foam board a year ago to try this but never did mainly because of the lack of and expense of buying parts not to mention the difficulty of finding ones in stock with this covid crap.  May try this before much longer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/IMG_2427_jpg-1715241.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318573/skyraider_jpg-1715243.JPG
View Quote
With all those parts available you will be able to get back into some flyable planes on the cheap.  Here are some others Im working on as well.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#47]
OP is a stud.  Nice shirt on Josh too,  

Link Posted: 12/18/2020 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Couple new builds....

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
A few newer ones.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Awesome stuff.
Flite Test needs to get some more of your designs to their webstore, soon
The standard sized.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top