Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 89
Posted: 9/21/2022 8:00:13 AM EDT
This is the GFS projected position next Friday (30-Sep) for the forming storm behind Fiona

Attachment Attached File

And this is the European models position for the same system but a day earlier (29-Sep)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Which system is that?  Invest 98L?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#3]
So this happened in the past or are you off by 10 days or so?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Somebody’s getting something next week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
98L will be Hermine.
I see they used Gustav one a system out in the mid Atlantic.
This one looks to run the passage between Cancun and Cuba.
That’s where the big ones get churning.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
One to watch for sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:21:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So this happened in the past or are you off by 10 days or so?
View Quote

Still waking up and I'm out of coffee.

I've fixed the post.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]

That's the one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Someone tell all the New Yorkers it's much too dangerous, and they should go back now.

See this documentary for a depiction
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:34:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Gettin a little ahead of yourself aren't you.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/two_atl_5d0_png-2533898.JPG
View Quote
What point are you making?

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/3JTOvfj.png
View Quote

A 5 day forecast track is going to be more accurate than a 10 day one and see the 5 day is much lower than what the 10 day shows.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A 5 day forecast track is going to be more accurate than a 10 day one and see the 5 day is much lower than what the 10 day shows.
View Quote
These are seven day projections, give or take.  It looks pretty probable we'll get hit to some degree.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:50:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
These are seven day projections, give or take.  It looks pretty probable we'll get hit to some degree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possible yes. Probable no.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Folks around here are getting wound up. Hurricane Michael PTSD I guess. They hate when I remind them that they still live on the GoM.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The point he’s making is the model you’re posting this far out is wildly inaccurate especially when it’s not even a tropical storm yet. Less than half of the spaghetti strings have it coming at Florida. The only reason to post that as news is for website clicks and fear mongering. That thing has just as good of a chance at going straight and slamming into the Yucatán peninsula.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/two_atl_5d0_png-2533898.JPG
View Quote

Well, I did say "projected" and not "eminent".

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#18]
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=25.1;-81.6;4&l=wind-10m

Move the date forward to watch the projected progression.  Obviously the further in the future the less likely the model.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#19]
WTF
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Today is ' Generator Day ', time to get stuff in order before the panic. Costco will be a madhouse tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Today is ' Generator Day ', time to get stuff in order before the panic. Costco will be a madhouse tomorrow.
View Quote

Better get gas and bottled water too. Don’t forget the potted meat.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The point he’s making is the model you’re posting this far out is wildly inaccurate especially when it’s not even a tropical storm yet. Less than half of the spaghetti strings have it coming at Florida. The only reason to post that as news is for website clicks and fear mongering. That thing has just as good of a chance at going straight and slamming into the Yucatán peninsula.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't have to "come at" Florida to have a significant effect on Florida.  Also, florida is a big target sideways across the path of a whole lot of tropical weather.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

True story.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It doesn't have to "come at" Florida to have a significant effect on Florida.  Also, florida is a big target sideways across the path of a whole lot of tropical weather.
View Quote

Just stop
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Folks around here are getting wound up. Hurricane Michael PTSD I guess. They hate when I remind them that they still live on the GoM.
View Quote

I’ve got two large buildings with just house wrap on them

I told them they needed to use a fluid applied WRB but what do I know, I’m just a dumbass contractor.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Fuckin bring it ya bitch ass storm
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only major effect it will have if it doesn’t come at Florida is some great surf. It’s been great on the east coast between Fiona and the storm before it. Sadly I won’t be able to make it over there to enjoy said epic surf, well, epic by Fl standards.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Like I said in the other thread: get more beer, got it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yea... already finishing that up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except that 3 of the 4 most consistent model runs put it on the west coast of Florida next week. One an early curve west to east at or below key west. The rest all hit..south, mid, north..?
and..there is a front coming that will push it west to east. Combined with very favorable conditions ahead for potential intensity models to be cat 3+.

As usual, timing and just pay attention.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Considering going out and buying a window unit now... just in case. I've wanted one for the better part of a year now that I have a generator, for the first hurricane season of my life, and I'll be honest... I'm in the "fuck that food, we can buy more" camp, but I can't sleep indoors without AC.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Considering going out and buying a window unit now... just in case. I've wanted one for the better part of a year now that I have a generator, for the first hurricane season of my life, and I'll be honest... I'm in the "fuck that food, we can buy more" camp, but I can't sleep indoors without AC.
View Quote

The same day I purchased my first genny I also purchased a 12000 BTU window unit. It's a good investment.

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]
From a weather service..

Key Points
1. Disturbance 35 is predicted to become a strong hurricane in the northwest Caribbean Sea by next Tuesday.
2. The greatest threat beyond Tuesday appears to be to the eastern Gulf of Mexico.

Our Forecast
Disturbance 35 is spreading squalls across the islands of the southeast Caribbean today. These squalls may contain wind gusts to tropical storm strength, but the disturbance has not developed a circulation center. The center of the disturbance will pass Trinidad this afternoon and move into the southeastern Caribbean tonight. Our forecast takes the center west-northwestward across the south-central Caribbean for the next 5 days. It may become a tropical depression or a tropical storm as early as Friday, followed by continued strengthening into a hurricane over the northwest Caribbean by early next Tuesday.

Beyond Tuesday, steering currents across the Gulf of Mexico would indicate a potential track toward the northeastern Gulf, east of Mobile, AL and most likely into Florida. However, much will depend on quickly the storm develops and how strong it becomes prior to reaching the northwest Caribbean next Tuesday. We do not think that this storm will move toward the north-central or northwest Gulf Coast. Westerly winds aloft across the northern Gulf should steer it toward the eastern Gulf of Mexico.
In general, confidence in the forecast track is average for the first 5 days then below average beyond then. The intensity forecast is more uncertain beyond the next 2-3 days. It is possible that this storm becomes stronger than we are forecasting, so confidence in the intensity is below normal due to disagreement in the models.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm too uneducated to know how to successfully post a Twitter post but saw this with the pic "Here's what we know so far about tropical activity in the Gulf late next week"

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The same day I purchased my first genny I also purchased a 12000 BTU window unit. It's a good investment.

View Quote

There are a bunch of transplants fixing to learn some lessons.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have 2 windows units and a portable AC, but for tornadoes in the summer, here in TN.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I better warn others

This has never happened before down here
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And liquor, can't forget the liquor!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One step ahead of you.  Have it mounted in a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit my SGD. A/C went out last summer and it was a backorder part because I had to have a ultra high SEER 2 stage unit when I built my house.
Took about 10 days to get.  We slept nice and comfy though.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve got two large buildings with just house wrap on them

I told them they needed to use a fluid applied WRB but what do I know, I’m just a dumbass contractor.

I have ~35 houses under construction right now.
Waiting until Monday to have the dumpsters picked up.
Hope I'm not waiting too long.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
98L will be Hermine.
I see they used Gustav one a system out in the mid Atlantic.
This one looks to run the passage between Cancun and Cuba.
That’s where the big ones get churning.
View Quote

Oh, man, I hate that.  I remember Wilma.  So glad I sold that Key West house last month.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Well, I did say "projected" and not "eminent imminent".

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

One step ahead of you.  Have it mounted in a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit my SGD. A/C went out last summer and it was a backorder part because I had to have a ultra high SEER 2 stage unit when I built my house.
Took about 10 days to get.  We slept nice and comfy though.

I have ~35 houses under construction right now.
Waiting until Monday to have the dumpsters picked up.
Hope I'm not waiting too long.
View Quote

These two buildings are 12 unit condos that are occupied.

Please go east Mr. Hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#44]
You guys are really making me question my work trip next week.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm moving the ARFCOM Yacht from Fort Lauderdale to SWFL over the weekend.  My neighbors are pissed after all the jokes about how hurricanes follow me - this one shows up 72 hours after I get back
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm moving the ARFCOM Yacht from Fort Lauderdale to SWFL over the weekend.  My neighbors are pissed after all the jokes about how hurricanes follow me - this one shows up 72 hours after I get back
View Quote

If that's the case please keep the SS ARFCOM away from the western panhandle, please!

Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

you can't buy more food when the powers out, and the stores are all closed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

These two buildings are 12 unit condos that are occupied.

Please go east Mr. Hurricane.
View Quote

Oh. Yeah that sucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
you can't buy more food when the powers out, and the stores are all closed.
View Quote

I think most of the Publix have backup power.  IIRC, there was some legislation a few years back that required grocery stores and gas stations to have backup power.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I'm too uneducated to know how to successfully post a Twitter post but saw this with the pic "Here's what we know so far about tropical activity in the Gulf late next week"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdG4GW8XgAADalc?format=jpg&name=large

View Quote

That map.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top