Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/29/2021 12:47:36 PM EDT
Carpet is a bad thing, not due to peeing but dirt.  We have 3/4 acre fenced for these guys, only a tiny patch of grass in there.  The rest is natural, aka dirt.   These guys drag it in a little at a time.

The question is wood or tile?

My big dirt merchants.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The new laminate wood flooring.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not too slick?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got wood floors, my dog Border Collie'ish' has traction problems when she puts on a burst of speed.  I can usually tell it's time to trim nails when I start hearing the clickly clack as she's walking around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not too slick?
View Quote

Dogs adjust. Best part nails do not scratch.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Great input all.  I was leaning wood or laminate anyway.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great input all.  I was leaning wood or laminate anyway.
View Quote

I wouldn't recommend laminate as it is not water proof for the most part (some brands maikng waterproof version now)

I would go with luxury vinyl plank.  Looks just as good as laminate, but completely waterproof if installed correctly.  Can be more durable as well, look for something with at leas a 20 mil wear layer like the smartcore pro at lowes.  The dogs will not scratch it up. Lots of brands out there, wear layer is the thing to pay attention to

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Smartcore--Vinyl-plank-Vinyl-flooring-Flooring/4294608591?cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-flr-_-google-_-flooring-_-B_FLR_229_Flooring-Vinyl_Exact-_-lowes%20smartcore%20flooring-_-0-_-0&ds_rl=1286981&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jgwqcp8dzqWK86aUorgMsmUuZZr04H-ShimeHQt6dGJQTMJ0SYUZxvRoCDgkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&refinement=1686755038,3232195935
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Wood or tile will both have their good and bad in my opinion.    

Tile, depending on the type,  is probably more scratch resistant.     Maybe be harder to clean if the tile is texured and you cannot swipe across the entire floor without the mop getting caught on somehting.     If a single tile breaks or cracks you will probably want to replace it.    

Wood is easier to mop/sweep in my opinion.     Wood will scratch but you probably wont replace it until you sell the house or way down the road.   Natural wood can be refinished multiple times.  Will be quite messy to refinish.  

I have natural hardwood on my second floor and engineered hardwood on my first.    The engineered hardwood has not held up as well as the natural.  The engineered hardwood is also glued down.  Which i would not suggest nor do again.     I have a concrete slab so not alot of options on the first floor.     If i was putting in new hardwood flooring again i would go natural on the first floor so i could have it refinished when selling the home.    

If you have a concrete slab you could look into a finished concrete floor.   I would also suggest putting a mat down where ever the dogs hangout.   With enough time the finish will get damaged on a hardwood floor just having the dog lay in the same spot for years.    

My dog weight 125ish pounds.   He doesnt jump or run through the house.   He does spin around when excited.  Sadly my floors and dog do not get along.

Solid Hardwood flooring on top picture -  his spot on the engineered floor on the bottom picture

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going thru the same thing, about to replace 80% of the flooring in the house, damn the prices.
We are going to go with an engineered water proof wood.
Our dog (Lab) is almost two now and really starting to settle down so we don't think he will scratch much now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Go porcelain tile or real wood.

Porcelain tile is bullet proof.  Real wood will age and still look good - people pay good money to have it beat on  - they call it hand scraped.

30 years selling commercial flooring here....

Red
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#10]
<----   Flooring guy. Seriously consider a good quality LVT. I am not a huge fan of LVT but with a 100lb dog it is great. They get water all over its not a huge deal. One of the tiles get trashed not a huge deal. Wood and tile are very tough for dogs especially if they are older.

just my .02
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wood or tile will both have their good and bad in my opinion.    

Tile, depending on the type,  is probably more scratch resistant.     Maybe be harder to clean if the tile is texured and you cannot swipe across the entire floor without the mop getting caught on somehting.     If a single tile breaks or cracks you will probably want to replace it.    

Wood is easier to mop/sweep in my opinion.     Wood will scratch but you probably wont replace it until you sell the house or way down the road.   Natural wood can be refinished multiple times.  Will be quite messy to refinish.  

I have natural hardwood on my second floor and engineered hardwood on my first.    The engineered hardwood has not held up as well as the natural.  The engineered hardwood is also glued down.  Which i would not suggest nor do again.     I have a concrete slab so not alot of options on the first floor.     If i was putting in new hardwood flooring again i would go natural on the first floor so i could have it refinished when selling the home.    

If you have a concrete slab you could look into a finished concrete floor.   I would also suggest putting a mat down where ever the dogs hangout.   With enough time the finish will get damaged on a hardwood floor just having the dog lay in the same spot for years.    

My dog weight 125ish pounds.   He doesnt jump or run through the house.   He does spin around when excited.  Sadly my floors and dog do not get along.

Solid Hardwood flooring on top picture -  his spot on the engineered floor on the bottom picture

https://i.imgur.com/XOcR6LP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FXs59da.jpg

View Quote

Thank you for that.   A lot more damage than I would have thought, but that is a small bear, not a dog lol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:08:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<----   Flooring guy. Seriously consider a good quality LVT. I am not a huge fan of LVT but with a 100lb dog it is great. They get water all over its not a huge deal. One of the tiles get trashed not a huge deal. Wood and tile are very tough for dogs especially if they are older.

just my .02
View Quote

I need to look into this, and will.  It’s nothing like old vinyl flooring.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I have engineered hardwood. Keep nails trimmed and it does well. Our older dog has some issues with it being slick but relatively limited
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I have Laminate and Tile. Laminate looks much better. Yea, the carpet has to go. A thirty year multi dog owner. Love my dogs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#15]
This will be going down on a plywood subfloor, for the record.

Really good input from you all, thank you.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

this. completely and absolutely  (LVP)

stuff is pretty unkillable.  20 years in our last house on "pergo" with great danes on an acre. (dirt, mud, stones, weed seeds, you name it, it comes in, i feel your pain)
stuff still looked new.

only way to go for houses that are lived in.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top