Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2021 4:50:29 PM EDT
Bikes sold out all over last Spring.

My guess is many buyers rarely used their new bikes, and will go back to other hobbies now.  Also guess these people will flood the market with lightly used late model bikes.

Anyone else see this happening?
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Pffft

Not any time soon
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe the 3k and under new price point,  but the higher end stuff is still in huge demand.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:50:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Going to take a lot longer. Prices on used bikes is still through the roof
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Majority of people don’t sell bikes. They let them rot in their garage then throw them away 20 years later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Majority of people don’t sell bikes. They let them rot in their garage then throw them away 20 years later.
View Quote

You don’t ride a bike do you?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sad

But you are probably right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That would be an incorrect assumption. Curious as to why you took it so personal though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Inventory for new bikes is still really low (at least locally). I recently picked up a Salsa Journeyman and local shop had one in stock. Trying to find something in sm/xs size for my wife and no local places have anything in our price range.

I might just breakdown and spend s little more. They have a nice surly bridge club in her side for $1200 but we were trying to stay under 1k as these are out first bikes since we were kids and not sure how into it we will get

I would guess the used market will still be premium priced and thin through at least the summer
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Be interesting to watch for.  Look also for the used dumb bell market.

I guess, last summer, I had thousands of dollars' worth of dumb bells in a rental property due to those being all sold out and impossible to get.  I did P90X there when the gyms closed.

The Soloflex that used to list in CL for $100.00 DISAPPEARED.  I have one of those too but it's such a useful machine, no way I'd sell it.  I'd keep it for the pull up and inverted crunch function alone.

Link Posted: 4/11/2021 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That would be an incorrect assumption. Curious as to why you took it so personal though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not personal, sorry if I’m wrong. Maybe a Walmart bike that never worked right to begin with, but better and names brand bikes get sold all the time. Usually 3-5 years old with very little miles. Probably is now with high demand prices are also high. Deals are out there, but you have to be on top.
Just helped a friend get a carbon frame trek in very good condition for $1400. 2018 model. Might have got it for a grand in pre COVID market.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]
The upper end of the market is in high demand. It’s kinda crazy
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe after a couple more years sitting in the garage gathering dust. Nobody will get up say plandemic is over, time to dump the bike. What will happen is life will slowly resume and these owners will swear they will keep on riding but life will get busy and like a new years resolution they will be forgotten.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Sure these bikes will be back on the market.   They will be back once they are outdated and even if little used they will be in poor repair.  Gone are the days when some new tires and a little WD40 made like new.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not personal, sorry if I’m wrong. Maybe a Walmart bike that never worked right to begin with, but better and names brand bikes get sold all the time. Usually 3-5 years old with very little miles. Probably is now with high demand prices are also high. Deals are out there, but you have to be on top.
Just helped a friend get a carbon frame trek in very good condition for $1400. 2018 model. Might have got it for a grand in pre COVID market.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/B1659BD7-1418-438A-B2C8-BA2A1C0C48C3_jpe-1901290.JPG
View Quote

Yeah if you have an S-Works or Dogma to sell you will probably get your asking price
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I hope so.  I've been looking for a large 2019 Trek Xcaliber 9 forever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bikes sold out all over last Spring.

My guess is many buyers rarely used their new bikes, and will go back to other hobbies now.  Also guess these people will flood the market with lightly used late model bikes.

Anyone else see this happening?
View Quote

That *was* likely the case, but now that the COVID shutdown has dragged on for so long, workers that make a lot of the components have been putting in considerably less hours, so the amount of new bikes and components are difficult to come by - like ammo.  Heck, I recently sold a used 2014 Monarch R rear shock (the most basic RockShox rear shock) for $350 - that's how hard-up people are for parts, much less entire [quality] bikes right now.  I don't see that letting up anytime soon, unfortunately.  

I even sold BOTH of my mountain bikes at the beginning of COVID at 50% profit with the hopes of replacing them 6 months later at a fraction of the cost.  That didn't materialize and doesn't look to be happening anytime soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top