Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2021 5:39:53 PM EDT
Hi folks, I racked a 5 gallon batch of mead from primary to secondary a week ago. I now see floating debris in it. There are three things different about this batch vs the last batch.  

1) this is my first 5 gallon batch. My prior batches were 1 gallon.
2) I added potassium sorbate.
3) I added sparkaloid.

Does this look like floating sparkaloid or potassium sorbate, or something else?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
How clean was the honey?  It's not uncommon to get some beeswax particulates.  If it were me - I'd put it though a paper filter and if the "bits" don't come back - I'd assume there was a chemical reaction.  If do they come back you have bacteria or yeast.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you boil and skim?
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#4]
what were your fermenting ambient temperatures?

asking for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I did not boil and skim. The honey is raw unprocessed, the best money can buy at Costco. Bentonite was already added prior to fermentation.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did not boil and skim. The honey is raw unprocessed, the best money can buy at Costco. Bentonite was already added prior to fermentation.
View Quote

I don't think you can get raw unprocessed honey at Costco.

Did you use fruit?
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
As 300 Savage1899 said- probably beeswax particles and such.  Shouldn’t hurt anything.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As 300 Savage1899 said- probably beeswax particles and such.  Shouldn’t hurt anything.
View Quote

With Costco honey, highly unlikely there are beeswax particles in the honey.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top