Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2018 9:03:34 AM EDT
Random question.
Just bought a car with new Cooper Discoverer At3s on them. The seller had the side of the tire without the white letters facing outward. I personally would like to see the white letters. I feel really stupid, but is there a correct way tires have to be mounted, or can you choose which side shows outward?

There are less than 5k miles on the tires.

Is it "safe" to flip the tires so that the white letters are visible facing outward?

Also, mini poll, do you guys like seeing white letters on your tires or no?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't care to see the white letters, you can have them flipped around if they are not directional tires, I don't think those are.
Should be less then $100 to have them flipped and balanced.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't care to see the white letters, you can have them flipped around if they are not directional tires, I don't think those are.
Should be less then $100 to have them flipped and balanced.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to wait until the tires have 7-8000 miles on them, that is when they should be rotated anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might want to wait until the tires have 7-8000 miles on them, that is when they should be rotated anyway.
View Quote
They'd have to be taken off the wheels though, which I don't think they do when they rotate them
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't over think it. Any shop with a tie machine can do it. Michelins might have issues with torn beads,  but Coopers will probably be ok. If you want to obsess, make sure the tires roll the same direction.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I'm about the last of the raised white letter guys, I'm 50
I used to love my RWL tires, can't hardly find them anymore

no problem switching them around unless they are directional and even then just have to make sure they're going the right way when they're on the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
My old truck is sportier looking... white letters out

DD is more subdued... white letters in

IMO it depends on the truck.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys! Thinking on it. Might actually stick with white letters in for now
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They'd have to be taken off the wheels though, which I don't think they do when they rotate them
View Quote
right he is saying why take it in and pay for stuff twice.

J-
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Depending on what the vehicle is...
I have a 96 chevy truck with OWL out, and an 89 firebird with RWL out.  My 2000 neon has BSW.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
They still make tires with RWL?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Probably going to be over 20$ per tire. When i bring a bare rim to firestone with a tire its 19$ to mount and balance it. Youre talking about talking it off to so added cost. I always have mine mounted black wall out. Think white lettering is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Directional tires won't have white letters on either side, but you should leave them as is, as white letters look like shit. Why don't you just order some white or yellow wall tires?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They still make tires with RWL?
View Quote
Old guys like them.

My boss, who is old, can't believe it when customers ask for black wall tires or ask us to mount the white letters in.

Myself, I think they look tacky on most newer cars and trucks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Directional tires won't have white letters on either side, but you should leave them as is, as white letters look like shit. Why don't you just order some white or yellow wall tires?
View Quote
Some do.

And yes, I like white letters facing out thank you
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#17]
You do know they now make a paint pen for this exact fetish.
(Just look at the car show ocd  guys)

I do not know who makes it, but there's a few videos on YouTube about it. Look at the tuner market/parts supply places.

As for my preference,  depends on the vehicle.  On the wife's jeep grand cherokee No.  On the back up silverado z71 then yes, looks better.

But go check out the tire letter paint. It is cheaper then the swap them around. My local shops charge $25 to dismount from vehicle,  and then R&R and balance reinstall on vehicle.
Then add tax so your looking around $110 bucks, think the paint is like $10-15.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
If your concern was changing the direction of rotation you would just move the tire to the otherside.

Left rear goes to right rear, now the white is out and tire is still rotating the same direction.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your concern was changing the direction of rotation you would just move the tire to the otherside.

Left rear goes to right rear, now the white is out and tire is still rotating the same direction.
View Quote
This.
If you flip the tires on the rims, you put them on the opposite side of the car.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top