Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2018 12:00:12 PM EDT
I've always been an ambient light kind of guy; almost to a fault.  Have always enjoyed using shutter/aperture/ISO to get enough light (and still get the composition I want) without using artificial light.

That's probably a throw-back to my audio taping days, trying to record an event with what the event gave you, "true life" as it were.

But see, my lovely wife gave me this Yongnuo YN968N for Christmas last year that I've barely used.  I don't really know how to USE a flash, other than toss it on top, set it to TTL, and fall back on my old tricks.

So, let's talk flash.  The how, why, and where.  How do you do things differently with a flash?  Tips & tricks.  All that jazz.

And here's a few from this morning, bouncing it off the ceiling.

Shadow Chills by FredMan, on Flickr

Moxie Supertug by FredMan, on Flickr

Moxie Crash by FredMan, on Flickr

Moxie Supertug by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
For "run and gun" flash photography, use TTL, bounce it mostly off a wall as opposed to "just the ceiling" (as always, there are exceptions to everything), and add some exposure compensation to the flash (not the camera).  I typically find +2/3 to +1 works pretty well.  Also, don't just bounce the flash in some random direction.  Choose where you want the light to come from.  If you want the light to come from the right, then bounce the light off of a wall on your right.

Also, use a "black foamy thing" to flag your flash.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, talk to me about shutter speed and flash.

This is probably my biggest hangup.  I'm using shutters as if I didn't have a flash, but did have plenty of light.  1/160 - 1/320.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Use the shutter speed to control the amount of ambient light.

If you have a "proper" exposure using only ambient light, then your flash will become your fill light.  Use it for filling in shadows caused by the (perhaps harsh) ambient light.  If you don't have enough ambient light for a proper exposure, then your flash becomes your key light, and any ambient light is a bonus.

That's a pretty simplified answer, however.  You can also use the shutter speed to get a particular effect.  You may want to limit the ambient light by using a faster shutter speed.  Or, perhaps you want to drag the shutter (in conjunction with rear curtain sync)  to emphasize movement, such as capturing the moving lights of car.

The possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everything you want to know is here : Strobist
View Quote
Excellent.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
25 years ago I worked with a friend that was a wedding photog.  He taught me a lot about using a strobe.  The one thing I learned was buy the biggest damned strobe you can afford.  
Diffusers, bouncing light etc are all great tricks to learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top