Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
   The torch; be yours to hold it high.
   If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
       In Flanders fields.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
This is some of the most impactful English prose ever written.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Had to recite that in class in the 7nth grade.

Didn't get it then.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to like watching war documentaries. Now I get ill just thinking of all the young men who died, their lives cut short. Many just over 18
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:57:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I first heard those words as a teen over a decade ago reading a Bond novel (one of the newer ones, not Fleming) and it has stuck with me ever since. Knowing more of the history now makes it even more powerful...thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The bunker turned advanced dressing station in which McCrae wrote that is preserved still, as well as the makeshift cemetery behind it.  Definitely worth the visit if you're near Ieper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The bunker turned advanced dressing station in which McCrae wrote that is preserved still, as well as the makeshift cemetery behind it.  Definitely worth the visit if you're near Ieper.
View Quote

Great area. Before covid travel restrictions. Don't think I'll ever go overseas again now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top