Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2021 1:38:56 PM EDT
Hose bib on one side of the house is leaking badly.  The bib has 'Hodes' cast into the housing.  Searching for Hodes brand hose bibs doesn't turn up much.

Are the seals or washers on these things universal(ish)?

Last time I tried to find something locally I couldn't and ended up having to replace the whole hose bib assy - which means tearing into interior finishes.  This one is in a difficult location to get to if I have to solder a new one in.  I'd really rather not have to.

These are frost free, but I haven't pulled the core out yet to see how deep it is into the wall.  I'm guessing 10" or so based on the two others I've replaced over the years.

If the seat itself is corroded can it be cleaned up?
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one leaking pretty badly and it was just the washer. I was afraid it was going to be the seat too. I guess if you could reach it you could redress it but if it not too bad a new washer would seal for a while.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 4 of those on my place, decent crawl space access.
Replaced 3 after striking out on rebuild kits.   2 were soldered one was sharkbite replaced.
I’ll never solder in the crawler again if this shark thing holds up.

If you do go soldered and have the same problem I did with the water dripping while trying to sweat the joint, ball up some bread and stuff it in there.  It’ll blow right out with water pressure.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My frost free hose bibs need the washers replaced every couple of years.  The only difference between a regular hose bib and the ones at my place is that once you remove the "guts" of the hose bib, there is a 10-14" long extension from the knob to where the washer is placed.  Other than the length it is the same type of mechanism and takes pretty standard washers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
NEVER solder a frost proof hose bib in place.

ALWAYS use a threaded connection.
You can then unscrews the bib and repair or replace it without tearing into the building.
Link Posted: 5/15/2021 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NEVER solder a frost proof hose bib in place.

ALWAYS use a threaded connection.
You can then unscrews the bib and repair or replace it without tearing into the building.
View Quote

Too bad you didn’t plumb my place. Every one was soldered on. The ones I’ve replaced now have a ball valve and screw into that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Woodford auto drain is your answer. Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Turned out to be relatively simple.  The leak was the packing around the valve stem.  Pulled the handle and cap off, put in a bit of graphite packing cord. Seems to have stopped that leak.

I'm sure the seating washer needs replaced but it's not immediate.

Didn't even have to crawl under the house and shut the water off.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Turned out to be relatively simple.  The leak was the packing around the valve stem.  Pulled the handle and cap off, put in a bit of graphite packing cord. Seems to have stopped that leak.

I'm sure the seating washer needs replaced but it's not immediate.

Didn't even have to crawl under the house and shut the water off.
View Quote

Teflon packing works a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Teflon packing works a lot better.
View Quote

Thank you.

I'll keep my eyes out for some.  I got the last package of the stuff I got at ACE.  I didn't see any alternatives there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Woodford auto drain is your answer. Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

This, mine are 25 years old and work perfectly; and yes they are soldered in
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top