Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#1]
1/48 TA-183. Just wrapped it up tonight.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Just a a few from the last time I was doing some modeling. I'm far from being really good, but I've enjoyed it off and on throughout my life. But I'm hoping to get one of my spare rooms converted soon with a new workbench and give it another run. I've even been buying kits again and lurking the forums at FSM (used to post there a lot way back when).
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
T-55M

Trumpeter kit, 1/72 scale
Czech Army markings and colors.

This kit is moderate at best, the rubber wheels have way too much rubber ribs, I had to cut them all off.
No mg, no tow cables, no main gun dust cover, no light guards, no ubiquitous log.

First model in a long time, years.
(is tinypic ok for file sharing?)

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My 1/350 Bismarck.

Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This the “old” Tamiya F-15 with some minor upgrades. This one is bound for the UNH AFROTC classroom.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/2679DE6E-8A5D-4CA2-8EBF-AB64E4F2ACFD-432268.JPG

This the “old” Tamiya F-15 with some minor upgrades. This one is bound for the UNH AFROTC classroom.
View Quote
I built that kit too! The only thing I added to it was a upgraded cockpit.

That is still pretty good F-15 kit
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/2679DE6E-8A5D-4CA2-8EBF-AB64E4F2ACFD-432268.JPG

This the "old" Tamiya F-15 with some minor upgrades. This one is bound for the UNH AFROTC classroom.
View Quote
Nice! I was thinking about picking up that kit for when I can get the workbench set up and running again. What was your impression of the kit in terms of fit? Was there much in the way of seams and gaps to correct?
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I built that kit too! The only thing I added to it was a upgraded cockpit.

That is still pretty good F-15 kit
View Quote
I did exactly that...photoetch cockpit details, a resin ejection seat and I replaced the landing gear with a set from a Hasegawa kit. The Hasegawa kit got a white metal set from SAC.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice! I was thinking about picking up that kit for when I can get the workbench set up and running again. What was your impression of the kit in terms of fit? Was there much in the way of seams and gaps to correct?
View Quote
I was sorta nervous about the kit because I had read some reviews that said the fit wasn’t all that great. Now I won’t lie, it did need some work with sanding around the nose area and also near the rear where the horizontals attach. The air intakes needed a touch of sanding, but nothing crazy.  The top of the wing fit was damn near perfect. The Tamiya extra thin cement probably helped as well. You can glue small sections of the fuselage and Work the pieces to achieve the best fit. Detail was a bit lacking, but I wasn’t too worried about that. Plus the kit is probably close to 40 years old. I was just happy it had recessed panel lines for panel washes. The model is going in a display case and is on semi permanent loan to the USAF so it didn’t need to be a high dollar model, just one that look good on display.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was sorta nervous about the kit because I had read some reviews that said the fit wasn't all that great. Now I won't lie, it did need some work with sanding around the nose area and also near the rear where the horizontals attach. The air intakes needed a touch of sanding, but nothing crazy.  The top of the wing fit was damn near perfect. The Tamiya extra thin cement probably helped as well. You can glue small sections of the fuselage and Work the pieces to achieve the best fit. Detail was a bit lacking, but I wasn't too worried about that. Plus the kit is probably close to 40 years old. I was just happy it had recessed panel lines for panel washes. The model is going in a display case and is on semi permanent loan to the USAF so it didn't need to be a high dollar model, just one that look good on display.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was sorta nervous about the kit because I had read some reviews that said the fit wasn't all that great. Now I won't lie, it did need some work with sanding around the nose area and also near the rear where the horizontals attach. The air intakes needed a touch of sanding, but nothing crazy.  The top of the wing fit was damn near perfect. The Tamiya extra thin cement probably helped as well. You can glue small sections of the fuselage and Work the pieces to achieve the best fit. Detail was a bit lacking, but I wasn't too worried about that. Plus the kit is probably close to 40 years old. I was just happy it had recessed panel lines for panel washes. The model is going in a display case and is on semi permanent loan to the USAF so it didn't need to be a high dollar model, just one that look good on display.
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I've got Revells F15-E in my stash and I was curious how it might compare.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I've got Revells F15-E in my stash and I was curious how it might compare.
View Quote
I have(had) both. The Revell is better is every way. Unless you had your heart set on building a single seat version to build a particular A/C, I’d build the Revell; after all you can easily convert that “E” to a “D.” Now I will say this, if you are patient and look around, deals can be found. I’ve purchased a TON of my models from eBay. Just today, I got a Hasegawa 1/48 F-15C for ~30 bucks shipped. The Hasegawa kit is better than Tamiya, but from just looking at the parts, the Revell is better than the Hasegawa, but I want to make single seater because I have markings for one of the MA ANG F-15’s that were just a couple minutes late to the World Trade Center attack’s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have(had) both. The Revell is better is every way. Unless you had your heart set on building a single seat version to build a particular A/C, I’d build the Revell; after all you can easily convert that “E” to a “D.” Now I will say this, if you are patient and look around, deals can be found. I’ve purchased a TON of my models from eBay. Just today, I got a Hasegawa 1/48 F-15C for ~30 bucks shipped. The Hasegawa kit is better than Tamiya, but from just looking at the parts, the Revell is better than the Hasegawa, but I want to make single seater because I have markings for one of the MA ANG F-15’s that were just a couple minutes late to the World Trade Center attack’s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the Revell really that better? I have not looked at a Revell kits in years.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
what scale is the F-15?  1/48 or 1/32?

in 1/48, I have read that the kit made by Great Wall Models (only ever head of them maybe last year) is the best out there right now.   And not inexpensive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

in 1/48, I have read that the kit made by Great Wall Models (only ever head of them maybe last year) is the best out there right now.   And not inexpensive.
View Quote
The Tam is 1/48
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:58:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My other expensive hobby.  1/8 scale trains.  All of these are scratch built, and these are just a few of my items.

Jason
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy....! Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 1:07:29 AM EDT
[#17]
1/6 CXT (Closer to 1/8 scale) RC crawler.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Holy Moley.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Incredible! I can't be the only person who'd love to see some in-process pics of those.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Here are a few from the phone.  This car was one of the hardest to build, so far.  This car took me about 4 months to finish.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The Tam is 1/48
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Tam is 1/48
Tamiya also makes a 1/32 F-15C. That being said, the one pictured above is 1/48.

Here is a pic of the current status of the display case in the UNH ROTC lounge. A buddy is working on an F-35 and at some point, I’m going to add a P-51 and F-86.

Attachment Attached File

We still have a couple more shelves to fill, but we are getting there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Been resto-modding my RC10GT RTR I have had since I was 13. Most of this is new/NOS parts. Engine has less than 2 gallons through it.

First two pics are before pics
https://i.imgur.com/mJKlA9c.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9YLJBkC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fArSH12.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/U7x92wi.jpg
View Quote
Nice! Great nitro trucks that can take a beating.

I have a GT2 here that I have been trying to get rid of for a couple years...just don't have time for it anymore.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Wrapping up another aviation in miniature project: This time, the new Eduard 1/48 FW-190A4. A seriously awesome kit. It’ll be a couple weeks before I can get back and finish it up, but thought I’d share a couple pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wrapping up another aviation in miniature project: This time, the new Eduard 1/48 FW-190A4. A seriously awesome kit. It’ll be a couple weeks before I can get back and finish it up, but thought I’d share a couple pics.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/B877B627-6DA3-4ACC-BCAB-BD2178AB7D32-446995.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/E887126D-E2AD-4D0A-ACD3-A7661048B98C-446996.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/1BB2E7F6-5AE7-4120-BA00-C8606F414598-446998.JPG
View Quote
Nice.. I'm jealous. My Aviation models never turned out that nice. Armor models I can nail those but my airplane never just quite come out right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven’t done armor since I was a kid. I need to though. I have several kits. Maybe after I finish up the Tamiya 1/48 BF-109G I’ve got on the bench.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Tamiya 1/48 P47 I need to finish... in addition to two Marine helicopters. A Venom and a Viper
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]
My latest creation of aviation in miniature:

Tamiya 1/48 BF-109G6 R6 painted with MRP paints, Montex masks and weathered with oils.

The last picture shows the model with some BF-109 relics.

Enjoy!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I just saw this section and thread. I like to paint figures and busts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I’ve had a huge slump,hit walls with the things I was working on and got a Tamiya Zero to just finish something. Since nobody can seem to really agree with what color they were now,I mixed up some Vallejo white,light blue and tan to spray over green.

This is a beautiful little kit,all of 8 € mailed from Japan,I’d call it a bargain. We’ll see how awful the end result in a day or 2.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#33]
We built this one together.  He wanted to mow down invisible Germans for the bunker (my deer blind). Trying to hunt deer with your partner screaming BAM BAM BAM gets interesting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I thought I would try modeling as a hobby, and this is my first serious attempt. There is so much to learn with modeling (painting, weathering, dioramas, etc), it'll keep me busy for a long time. I'm still undecided on what I want to build, but I'll try different things and see if anything "clicks".

After my dad was discharged from active duty back in the early '60's, he was a loader and driver on the M48A2 Patton tank in the Army Reserves. I couldn't find a quality kit for the M48A2, so I ended up with the Monogram kit. There were some fitment/gap issues, and it's not very detailed, but it's a good learning project. I still need to add decals and maybe try some weathering on it. Here's the work in progress so far.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#35]
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Just finished this - Tamiya 40th Anniversary Porsche 934 Jagermeister. 4WD, brushed.  Great kit!

Link Posted: 4/29/2018 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#37]
This is a great thread
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#38]
@macloud
Awesome stuff!!!  A friend of a friend here is a retired railroad worker.  He has a small personal live steam layout on his acreage.  I got to visit once when he had a “meet” and was able to operate a couple.   Would love to try this also but still trying to create an HO scale basement layout for son and me.

Please keep us updated!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I thought I would try modeling as a hobby, and this is my first serious attempt. There is so much to learn with modeling (painting, weathering, dioramas, etc), it'll keep me busy for a long time. I'm still undecided on what I want to build, but I'll try different things and see if anything "clicks".

After my dad was discharged from active duty back in the early '60's, he was a loader and driver on the M48A2 Patton tank in the Army Reserves. I couldn't find a quality kit for the M48A2, so I ended up with the Monogram kit. There were some fitment/gap issues, and it's not very detailed, but it's a good learning project. I still need to add decals and maybe try some weathering on it. Here's the work in progress so far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/431721/M48A2_Rt1_Sm-517901.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/431721/M48A2_Rt2_Sm-517903.JPG
View Quote
Hey, I been model building nearly 40 years, thats a great first build !  
Keep learning, every day, week theres new stuff to learn.
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#40]
To answer a few questions,

No, I don't have any track at home.  Closest track to me is about 30 min away.  I normally run over in central Ohio.  I have also run in MI, WI, and southern IN.

I tried to upload more photos, but ran into the file size limit. I did upload a pic of my friends loco and our combined train outside of Cleveland a couple years ago.

Jason
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hey, I been model building nearly 40 years, thats a great first build !  
Keep learning, every day, week theres new stuff to learn.
View Quote
Thanks. There are a lot of talented people here. I'm enjoying seeing everyone's builds (and the train setups are simply amazing). I've encountered my first real problem with this hobby, though - I keep buying model kits faster than I can build them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I finally got around to finishing a T-72 that was languishing in the hobby closet. By doing that it made me grab one of my boxes of metal tracks for a T-55... which then after putting them together I realize that the tracks were too nice for the old Tamiya T-55 kit. So I ordered a new Mini art T-55 kit...

Anyway here is the finally finished T-72

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice! I keep saying my next project is going to be armor. We’ll see my work bench is currently clear.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nice! I keep saying my next project is going to be armor. We’ll see my work bench is currently clear.
View Quote
Thanks what's funny is I say the same thing whenever I see your airplane pictures. I keep telling myself once I have all my armored models done I really ought to do a couple of airplanes.

Right now I'm drilling about a bazillion holes in metal tracks for my BMPT Terminator.....
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Not done but getting there. A Meng 1/35th scale BMPT Terminator. A fantastic kit lots of detail and a ton of fiddly bits. Easily breakable fiddly bits if you're not careful.

Right now I'm working on metal tracks for it. Unlike the easy-to-assemble t 55 metal tracks the ones for this one require four holes to be drilled in each link. I got one side done it pretty much took me 2 days to finish it working on the other side right now. It really is though a fantastic kit. And if you're going to ask me why I went with metal tracks, the plastic individual link tracks that came with the kit had 6 pieces per each link that you had to put together before you could put together the entire track. It wasn't worth the frustration.

I like the metal tracks and I would easily pay an additional $20 per each set if they already had the holes drilled in the pins cut.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Well I finally got around to finishing a T-72 that was languishing in the hobby closet. By doing that it made me grab one of my boxes of metal tracks for a T-55... which then after putting them together I realize that the tracks were too nice for the old Tamiya T-55 kit. So I ordered a new Mini art T-55 kit...

Anyway here is the finally finished T-72

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20180503_144338-532938.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20180503_144423-532939.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9749/20180503_144256-532940.jpg
View Quote
That looks great!  I gotta get me an airbrush rig.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Just finishing building my first real quad. (moving up from an Inductrix Tiny Whoop)

6" Armattan Rooster frame:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Durafly Bf-109 E4 1,100mm wingspan RC model. Pic taken after conpleting it’s first three flights. Model is made from styrofoam and is electric powered. Repainted using a variety of paints.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24640/EA2FB265-1D4C-4F10-8060-66A12926D5D3-540393.JPG

Durafly Bf-109 E4 1,100mm wingspan RC model. Pic taken after conpleting it’s first three flights. Model is made from styrofoam and is electric powered. Repainted using a variety of paints.
View Quote
Beautiful! How does it fly? I've been meaning to get back into electric flyers.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#50]
She flies well. The model is supposed to be the most accurate BF-109 currently on the market. I’d have to agree. So with this in mind, it has some of the similar traits the original had. Especially with the ground handling. I wouldn’t fly this one off pavement unless you’re a really proficient flyer. I fly from a large ball field near my house. The dirt of the infield makes a great runway and lets the model slip/slide on the ground rather than grip. The grass, when recently mowed, works as a back up. The flaps are really effective at slowing the model down so it has to flown all the touch down and stop. So power on till the mains touch. I did a couple stalls to see what happens. You can get the model pretty darn slow, but there’s quite the snap when she stalls. So as long as you respect these traits, you’ll be rewarded with a great model. On a four cell lipo, flights are around 7-8 minutes depending how much of a speed junky you are. All in all, she’s and great flyer and representative of the famous fighter.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top