Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2018 2:28:56 PM EDT
Elderflower/Orange Blossom

My son helping with the formulation:

Attachment Attached File

Aerated the crap out of it with a diffusion stone and a bottle of O2...developed quite a bit of foam.  So, I fitted the opening with a blow-off tube instead of an airlock in case the Kräusen really gets going.

Attachment Attached File

Recipe (6 gal) -
Strong tea of elderflowers (Bring 2 gal water to boil, remove from heat, stir in 5.5 oz of dried flowerbuds, and let steep until room temp.)
18 pounds of orange blossom honey (Bought a pail of OB honey from Dutch Gold when it was on sale last year)
Yeast nutrient

Pitched a 500mL starter of D47 and GoFerm after sanitizing the must for 24 hours.

OG 1.110

I'm hoping for an off-dry mead, and really hoping the D47 preserves/accentuates to floral notes of both the honey and the flowers.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That much darker than I would have imagined it.

I wish I could like mead, haven't found any I could appreciate.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I gotta rack my latest batch
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quick update.  Added a bit of bentonite to the primary, and racked after a few days.  That mead is now beautifully clear and aging in the 5 gal carboy.

Made another batch about a month ago, same basic recipe but without the elderflower.  Used a 10 ounce bottle of Montmorency cherry concentrate, and pitched 71B.  Just racked it today.  71B takes freaking forever to ferment to completion.

Initial impressions of the first mead: light, but a bit tannic.  Probably going to have the same mouthfeel as a pinot gris, once the esters are subdued a bit.

The second one is potentially very delicious.  A tiny bit tart from the cherries, loooooong finish, and then a honey back end that lasts forever.  In fact, I'm drinking a Founders Dirty Bastard right now, and I can still taste the mead.  This one is going to be an all-star.  Only criticism I have is that it's a bit thin...probably can fix that with the addition of a bit of tannin the next time I make it.

My next batch might be a repeat of the cherry, but will probably triple the amount of fruit.  Worried about the acid, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top