Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 11:34:08 AM EDT
Several trips to the driving range so far. No problem with irons and putter.

Driver is a different story. I was fitted for a new driver and did ok with it in the store. Much better than with my old driver.

Signed up for three lessons indoors.

What do I need to know?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Waste of a good gun range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing. Show up and listen to your instructor.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Indoors as in hitting into a net or are you on a simulator?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Grip - make sure yours is correct.  Then stance.  Work on those 2 things first.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I got more out of watching YouTube videos then I did private lessons. Look up George Gankas and Eric Cogorno. You’re welcome!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Simulator. Hit into a screen and computer generates an image of ball flight
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
White belt adds 20yds to your drive
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got more out of watching YouTube videos then I did private lessons. Look up George Gankas and Eric Cogorno. You’re welcome!
View Quote

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and trying different things at the range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#9]
"Helloooo, ball"
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Be careful of the windmill hole.  Putt as soon as a blade gets to the tunnel.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Ben Hogan's Five Lessons (book)
This helped me understand the golf swing.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Put ball in hole , pay money
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ben Hogan's Five Lessons (book)
This helped me understand the golf swing.

View Quote

Thanks.
The five lessons are on YouTube. I will watch them today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:11:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos and trying different things at the range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. Not discouraging coaching lessons, but for them to be effective you need a GREAT coach that can pick up on what you’re doing wrong, able to effectively explain it, AND implement how to correct it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Steady tempo, inside out swing path, and hit down on the ball (don't try to scoop it).
I'm sure that's covered in the old Hogan lessons.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.  One thing I always remember (from my uncle who was scratch) in regards to grip - when you look down at your hands, you should see the first 2 knuckles on your left hand and both "V's" that your thumb/index make should point to your right shoulder.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Bring your credit card... Lots of money involved...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks.
The five lessons are on YouTube. I will watch them today.
View Quote
Make sure you can see video of your swing, so you can actually see what you're doing wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Watch Happy Gilmore and take notes from CHUBBS...RIP CHUBBS
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

If you have a good instructor who can find the right swing FOR YOU, then nothing you see on the internet. Each person is different and trying to make the person fit the swing (instead of finding a swing to fit the person) is generally where the average amateur goes wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Stick with fairway drivers, midranges, and putters until you get your arm speed and technique developed. Don't think you'll be able to throw farther with high speed distance drivers.

Remember when throwing drives to concentrate on keeping the disc flat and on a "line drive" trajectory. If you throw the disc too high, it'll just stall out and fade hard on you without much distance.

When practicing putting, do so at a distance where you are making putts. 10ft, 15ft, whatever that distance is, that's how to build confidence. Concentrate on a smooth, consistent release and pick a part of the basket or a chain link about halfway up the pole to aim at.

Hope this helps! Feel free to IM with any questions!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Don't play 12 slow pitch softball games in between lessons.  Will screw up your swing royally.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Steady tempo, inside out swing path, and hit down on the ball (don't try to scoop it).
View Quote

Not for Driver, you actually want to hit slightly up...spine tilt helps here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The problem with golf is (as someone pointed out) it's a waste of good range space.  Plus, it's as sport where the goal is to play as little as possible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Stand at attention with your hands at your side.  While maintaining your posture bring your hands together.  This is your proper grip.  When you wind up and then unwind this is how your bodies natural geometry will naturally return to.  Many people feel a proper golf grip feels unnatural and want to use what is considered a strong grip.  These people will never become a good golfer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stick with fairway drivers, midranges, and putters until you get your arm speed and technique developed. Don't think you'll be able to throw farther with high speed distance drivers.

Remember when throwing drives to concentrate on keeping the disc flat and on a "line drive" trajectory. If you throw the disc too high, it'll just stall out and fade hard on you without much distance.

When practicing putting, do so at a distance where you are making putts. 10ft, 15ft, whatever that distance is, that's how to build confidence. Concentrate on a smooth, consistent release and pick a part of the basket or a chain link about halfway up the pole to aim at.

Hope this helps! Feel free to IM with any questions
View Quote
Grown ups are talking about real golf, not frisbee.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not for Driver, you actually want to hit slightly up...spine tilt helps here.
View Quote
Obviously it's not completely applicable to the putter either. Hitting driver is generally not the first club you learn on, so no point in confusing by adding too many things at once. Sorry if my tip was applicable to a paltry 12/14 clubs in your golf bag.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Putting is where the money is. Take a putting lesson. The stats say the pros hit 1/3 of putts from 10 feet.  Improve your putts and drive to stay on course.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]

All you will ever need to know about how to hit a golf ball.
/thread
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Played my whole life never took a lesson I just learned my swing and played it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#32]
In my experience with golfers; get a good referral for a good chiropractor ahead of time.
If you stick with it, you'll need one, good form or not.
Tiger isn't the only one with chronic back problems.  
Most others just hide it, or deal with it.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Give up now & save yourself the aggravation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#34]
The Impact Zone by Bobby Clampett.

Short version.
Hands lead the club face at impact.
Take a divot with the deepest part around 4ish inches after the ball. Divot AFTER the ball not before it.

Its how the pros hit so far. The clubhead is essentially delofted at impact.
Its also how backspin is generated.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Pay attention.  Go to a range at least weekly and do the drills he gives you.

My favorite drill is to take 9 balls, hit PW, 7-iron, PW, driver, PW, 7-iron, PW, driver, PW.  Pick a specific target for each shot.  Get behind the ball and set up parallel square to the target line.
(I actually don't carry a driver.  I tee off with a 3-wood on the long holes.  But most people like hitting drivers.  For me my fairway hit percentage goes way up with a 3-wood, and I don't lose enough distance to matter.  And trust me, I've owned dozens of drivers...)

Think smooth, not strong.

Develop a pre-shot routine and stick to it.

Visualize and verbalize.  Get out of the way and let your mind create the shot.  I'm amazed at how many times I can hit a shot where I want it to go when I visualize it and say it out loud.  "Just to the right of the 150 yard marker."  Clear my mind and swing.  And that's where it goes.  During the swing, focus on feel, not mechanics.

Read the book: 'Every Shot Must Have a Purpose.'  It's written by Annika Sorenstam's teachers, and is as much or more about the mental game as it is the physical golf swing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Rotate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:59:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Listen to your instructor.  Whatever you think/feel you are doing during the swing your not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#38]
-Focus on hitting it straight and consistent (i.e. hitting where you intend)
-When you go to the range, start with you wedges work down from there.  Most of your shots are going to be 8 iron - to - SW/LW (aside from the putter)
-Try using the same ball once you find one you like to putt with.
-Find your alcohol sweet spot, and if drinking on the course, try to stay within those guardrails
-Poor putting can easily turn a 5 into an 8 (spend more time on the practice green than the driving range)
-Watch the Rick Shiels youtube channel.  Once you get past the British accent, he has a lot of good tips to offer

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
-Focus on hitting it straight and consistent (i.e. hitting where you intend)
-When you go to the range, start with you wedges work down from there.  Most of your shots are going to be 8 iron - to - SW/LW (aside from the putter)
-Try using the same ball once you find one you like to putt with.
-Find your alcohol sweet spot, and if drinking on the course, try to stay within those guardrails
-Poor putting can easily turn a 5 into an 8 (spend more time on the practice green than the driving range)
-Watch the Rick Shiels youtube channel.  Once you get past the British accent, he has a lot of good tips to offer

View Quote

I do like Rick Shields. Seems like a lot of the good YouTube vids are made by people with British accents. Except for Golf With Aimee. She doesn’t really have an accent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I concur. I swing a LOT better when I slow down the backswing tempo a bit.

Don't sway back and forth like a baseball batter.

Let the club do the work.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I do like Rick Shields. Seems like a lot of the good YouTube vids are made by people with British accents. Except for Golf With Aimee. She doesn’t really have an accent.
View Quote

I love hitting the ball 300 off the tee, but not as consistent as I used to be.  last year I focused on controlling my game(keeping it in the fairway) and I dropped about 8 stokes off my average.  Learn to play your wedges around the green.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Beer makes it way more fun, especially when you lift up the seat and remove the governor from your cart.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#43]
The course at the end of my Street has lawnmowers that look like giant roombas...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:10:26 PM EDT
[#44]
If you are just starting out, do NOT watch a bunch of youtube content along with taking lessons from a person.

You will end up so confused with so many things going through your head that you will get quickly frustrated.  YouTube golf instructors are great if you know what your problem is.  The issue becomes what you feel like you are doing may not be real.  e.g. you may swear that you are hitting from the inside with the hands leading the club, but without someone looking at your swing you could be doing the opposite.

Learn like a child would.  Get one adult that knows something give you a few pointers.  Then go to a range and dig it out of the dirt.  Experiment.  If something works go with it.  If it doesn't work then abandon it and move on to something else.

Don't get angry.  Does a child get angry when it is learning to walk?  hell no, they observe what went wrong, get back up and try it again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top