Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2020 7:01:10 AM EDT
Went by my gettin place and picked up a Shieldaig Islay offering. It was cheap and I wanted to try one before dumping Laphroaig or Lagavulin money on something I wouldn’t like.

It was early in the day so I just took a small pour, almost a splash. Whoa. It wasn’t what I expected. I wasn’t aware that within the same spirit style there was such a huge difference. I’m a Speyside person. The difference is huge.

This one was like smelling a creekside campfire. The taste was like drinking a bottled campfire, with earthy subtleties almost no sweetness. . The flavor lingered like smoke in your jacket lingers after the fire. When I say campfire it isn’t like the smoke from a light burning wood. I’m talking the really heavy odiferous woods.

I won’t drink it often or spend a ton on these bottles. But it’s a unique experience.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people say it tastes like a burning BandAid, but I think Laphroaig tastes like when you're drinking beer with your buddies and one of them throws a cigarette butt in an empty bottle and you accidentally take a swig from that one.  Not my thing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#2]
This is the reason I LMAO when people suggest a peaty Islay to a new scotch drinker looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the reason I LMAO when people suggest a peaty Islay to a new scotch drinker looking for suggestions.
View Quote
Yeah. This would have been a terrible first bottle. I can’t imagine any bottle in this region would be a great first one. A highland or Speyside is much easier and tasty for a new scotch drinker. I think every scotch drinker should try one. My buddy loves the Islay offerings.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Happens 10 times in every "I want to try scotch, what should I buy?" thread.

OP, I share the same opinion.  Islays are unique and they each have their own nuance.  Some taste like a smoke-filled baby's diaper, some offer a little more peat in the same diaper.

I've had a bottle of Laphroig since forever ago.  Every once in a while I'll have a glass to break things up.  It's just not for me and I've been a scotch fan for 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#5]
As a relatively new Scotch drinker, I love the Islay peat.  The more the better.  I found the Laga 16 to be disappointing, not much flavor and subdued.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Islay are my favourite scotches. Lagavulin 16 is my all time favourite.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Islay are my favourite scotches. Lagavulin 16 is my all time favourite.
View Quote
My first experience with Lagavulin 16 was with an 21st SAS Sergeant Major at the Artist's Rifles Club in Bisley, England.  Fantastic scotch, fantastic evening.  Lagavulin 16 will ALWAYS be a favorite.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I disagree wholeheartedly about islay not being a first bottle or something new drinkers try. Peat is often a love or hate sort of flavor. It isn't something that people who hate it often acclimate to, and the people who love it don't get the medicinal flavors. To me, scotch was never exciting or something I sought out, until someone gave me a peated whisky. It was all bbq'd meats and dark fruits to me. Instantly in love with the flavors and depth of the experience. It wasn't something I worked my way into. Then I know guys in my community who have reviews and tastings against hundreds of spirits and still can't stand the taste of peat. Those iodine notes are too present for them. This lines up with what they see in genetic testing for cilantro, broccoli, tomatoes..etc where there is a genetic signifier of people tasting things that the others do not. It's probably good to try it early and see if it's something you have an aversion to or not.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I disagree wholeheartedly about islay not being a first bottle or something new drinkers try. Peat is often a love or hate sort of flavor. It isn't something that people who hate it often acclimate to, and the people who love it don't get the medicinal flavors. To me, scotch was never exciting or something I sought out, until someone gave me a peated whisky. It was all bbq'd meats and dark fruits to me. Instantly in love with the flavors and depth of the experience. It wasn't something I worked my way into. Then I know guys in my community who have reviews and tastings against hundreds of spirits and still can't stand the taste of peat. Those iodine notes are too present for them. This lines up with what they see in genetic testing for cilantro, broccoli, tomatoes..etc where there is a genetic signifier of people tasting things that the others do not. It's probably good to try it early and see if it's something you have an aversion to or not.
View Quote

Drinking a good Islay in the evening is like having sweaty sex all night with a beautiful woman. You wake up and you still have the delicious, musty aroma wafting around and you still have the taste on your lips.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 9:59:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not my thing.

View Quote

Good more for those that love it
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#12]
After having spent some time in Ireland and visiting some old homes and pubs that were heated by burning peat, I have a much greater appreciation for Islay Scotch. Now that smell brings me back to a warm and friendly place!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I personally hated all hard liquor until a relative gave me a small pour of Laphroaig 10 several years ago.  It was almost like a revelation.

Nowadays, I like all the different varieties of scotch (and bourbon too), but for me, the peated scotch was what brought me over.  I think it's safe to say that Islay malts will remain my favourite of all the different styles.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#14]
My first bottle of scotch was a peated islay and I loved it.

Also, there are several non-peated islays which are also excellent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Freeride21 and I were literally just talking about this.

I am, as a rule, NOT a peat guy when I comes to Scotches.  Give me Lowland, Highland or the Speyside.....

HOWEVER

Bruichladdich Octomore and the VERY costly Black Art are DAMN good.  DAMN GOOD for a Scotch with a note of chewed Tylenol ( thank you Freeride!) and Bandaides.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top