Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2022 3:28:36 PM EDT
Just bought her a few weeks ago, 2016 KTM Duke 390 with 3,300 miles.  Take my MSF next weekend as a required course to get my MC endorsement.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 3:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not much of a street bike person but I like the styling of the Duke.  Looks like a fun bike.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Fantastic first bike.  The early ones had a problem with the cooling fan,  some folks just swapped a small spal fan in and never worried again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
That class of bike seems like a perfect starter bike. I had a Nighthawk 250 which is probably worse in every single way. Have fun OP.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 11:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Grab a Shoei or Arai and a armored jacket and have a blast. Great bike.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Grab a Shoei or Arai and a armored jacket and have a blast. Great bike.
View Quote

Getting there.  Just need the armored jacket.

Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Great choice.

that's a cool machine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great choice.

that's a cool machine.
View Quote

Thanks.  I saw a used Duke 690 and RC390 for sale on Craigslist.  Was thinking I should continue the collection.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 3:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I saw a used Duke 690 and RC390 for sale on Craigslist.  Was thinking I should continue the collection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great choice.

that's a cool machine.

Get something different for your second bike. My vote would be 690 Enduro because that's what I want. I'd ride your 390 for a bit and see if you want more power then go from there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Fun bike!

Enjoy.

And if you want to learn to wheelie, that’s a good bike for it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Great deal on an armored jacket for cooler weather here...
Lg or XL only though
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice. After being completely out of motorcycling for 13 years, one day about three years ago I saw an orange Duke 390 parked at the gun range I belong to. I was so intrigued by the bike it rekindled my interest in motorcycles. I didn't end up getting a Duke but have owned 4 bikes since then, currently have 2 BMWs, all thanks to that little orange Duke. Ride safe.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nice. After being completely out of motorcycling for 13 years, one day about three years ago I saw an orange Duke 390 parked at the gun range I belong to. I was so intrigued by the bike it rekindled my interest in motorcycles. I didn't end up getting a Duke but have owned 4 bikes since then, currently have 2 BMWs, all thanks to that little orange Duke. Ride safe.
View Quote

Cool story what BMW's do you own?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! I personally don't enjoy riding naked bikes but the Duke sure is a cool bike

Where did you get the boots? I've been looking for a pair of TCX but they're sold out of my size seemingly everywhere.

06 Ninja 650R is my current ride.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

2018 R1200RS that I bought used.
And I just ordered a 2023 F900XR after a test ride.
I would have bought the used one I rode but it was a factory low suspension, low seat model, just too cramped for me.

Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice! I personally don't enjoy riding naked bikes but the Duke sure is a cool bike

Where did you get the boots? I've been looking for a pair of TCX but they're sold out of my size seemingly everywhere.

06 Ninja 650R is my current ride.
View Quote

RevZilla.  They had a closeout sale.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont know much about bikes but this thing looks good!
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont know much about bikes but this thing looks good!
View Quote

It is a cool bike.  One of the coolest things I've owned.  Kinda like getting the prom queen for a weekend, you don't deserve it, but live it up while you can.

KTM DUKE 390 Walkaround & Soundcheck

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#18]
The KTM 390 bikes are made in India by Bajaj.
The early bikes had issue with cracking wheels, the TFT display burning out or water getting into it and fan/fuse issues.

Your bike should be fairly sorted out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I would have bought the used one I rode but it was a factory low suspension, low seat model, just too cramped for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice choice there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice choice there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice choice there.

I hadn't heard of that one. Looks pretty interesting. It seems awfully close to the 1000XR which is weird for a lineup. Big price gap though so it makes it pretty attractive.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#21]
The S1000XR is a beast. 165hp inline 4.
The F900 is a 99hp twin. I prefer twins so didn't really look at the 1000,  although my dealer has several nice used ones for sale.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:34:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Noice
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice snag!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked the 390 Adv (I'm 6'5) last month after taking the MSF. It's been a fun first bike although I kinda wish it had the orange powder coated frame like the duke.

Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I picked the 390 Adv (I'm 6'5) last month after taking the MSF. It's been a fun first bike although I kinda wish it had the orange powder coated frame like the duke.

https://i.ibb.co/9hD2x4V/20221005-141617-2.jpg
View Quote

I really like those.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice bike, I want one for wheelies, but will probably cheap out and get a DRZ400SM
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice bike, I want one for wheelies, but will probably cheap out and get a DRZ400SM
View Quote

Also good for wheelies
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a nice bike, what year?  Can't disagree with you though, the orange frame does have a distinct appeal to it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's a nice bike, what year?  Can't disagree with you though, the orange frame does have a distinct appeal to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a '22. At that price ($8k out the door) I didn't see a reason to try and find a used one. Plus I don't know enough about motorcycles to know what to look for with a used one. I didn't want to end up with someone else's mechanical problem child.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's a '22. At that price ($8k out the door) I didn't see a reason to try and find a used one. Plus I don't know enough about motorcycles to know what to look for with a used one. I didn't want to end up with someone else's mechanical problem child.
View Quote

Modern bikes are incredibly reliable and hard to hurt. You can pretty much only damage them from crashing or not maintaining them. If you test ride a bike, just listen for odd noises, make sure the bike stops and shifts ok and doesn’t smoke. The best way to tell if a guy cared about his bike is if he’s not trying to sell it with a bald tire or stretched chain-the chain being something you want to check by pinching it with your finger and thumb on the sprocket and pulling it rearward… that will tell you if it is stretched or not.

Any damage On the bike suggesting a crash at all, tell them you want to see dealership receipts for the work done amd don’t buy it otherwise.

Never let someone take your bike for a test ride without full cash in hand, or trade without a copy of a license. That’s a common way to trade one stolen bike for a nicer one to part out. Happens a lot more than you’d think.
Link Posted: 11/9/2022 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Modern bikes are incredibly reliable and hard to hurt. You can pretty much only damage them from crashing or not maintaining them. If you test ride a bike, just listen for odd noises, make sure the bike stops and shifts ok and doesn’t smoke. The best way to tell if a guy cared about his bike is if he’s not trying to sell it with a bald tire or stretched chain-the chain being something you want to check by pinching it with your finger and thumb on the sprocket and pulling it rearward… that will tell you if it is stretched or not.

Any damage On the bike suggesting a crash at all, tell them you want to see dealership receipts for the work done amd don’t buy it otherwise.

Never let someone take your bike for a test ride without full cash in hand, or trade without a copy of a license. That’s a common way to trade one stolen bike for a nicer one to part out. Happens a lot more than you’d think.
View Quote

All of this

And eyeball the steering stops as well
Link Posted: 11/14/2022 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top