Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2019 7:35:01 PM EDT
I’m looking to buy a Fender for the tone; looking for chime mostly. Telecaster or Stratocaster? The ‘73 reissue custom tele calls me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think the tele delivers the neck PUP chime like as strat does.  Opinions will differ.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned a USA SRV Signature Strat, a TexMex Strat, and now a Tele that started off as a 90's Asian copy.  You can get close to the fat chime of a Strat with an overwound tele neck pickup so I would base your decision on whether you want a tremolo bridge or not. I settled on a Tele for single coil tones since I hate tremolos and like to change tunings.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Without knowing more about OP's playing style I'm going to say Strat.  Tele has a different flavor of single coil sound.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatcha playing Op? Both of them have great tone but your playing style/genre will dictate which one is potentially better suited.

My personal recommendation either way: Build, don't buy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Mostly '80's alternative stuff; REM, Marshall Crenshaw, The Beat
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Chimey?   Look at a Rick.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chimey?   Look at a Rick.
View Quote
Rick money is not available unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 8:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's not forget the other 90% of the equation, the amp.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ain't no sound like a classic strat through a blackface Deluxe Reverb amp.  Mmm mmm.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I've owned a strat and a Tele. I loved the strat and regret getting rid of it. I bought a Tele about 8 years ago and will never sell it.

The strat can get close to the tele sound, but damn I just love a good tele.

I wish I had the SRV strat though, I've come so close to buying it but I just don't have the cash to spend on it.

So, I would say get both

If going for the country/twangy blues sound definitely get a Tele.

If going for a SRV, blues-rock sound definitely get the strat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought one for myself for Christmas...
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ain't no sound like a classic strat through a blackface Deluxe Reverb amp.  Mmm mmm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I prefer it through a Super Reverb, but the DR is nice too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I prefer it through a Super Reverb, but the DR is nice too.
View Quote
Having spent months in a hospital and cut open multiple times I have no desire to life a Super Reverb.  LOL.  I do love the 4x10 tone though.

Brownface Concert is also a great amp in the same genre with a better reverb.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Chime?  You want a strat.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Prefer Strats personally. Give me an HSS config and it'll do whatever I need it to do.
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the previous model (Elite). I love it. Well made guitar.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Find a good used Fender Strat that you like and drop in a Fishman Fluence loaded pickguard and trem spring cover battery pack. You'll love it. Two different classic single coil voicings on tap without the noise.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#20]
This is Arfcom...  

I played for a living for a while in the 80's/90's.  While I was primarily a Les Paul guy, I had occasion to play all three.  The Tele was my second favorite; could get a crunchy sound out of that that neither of the others could quite replicate.  Actually I'd have to stick a Schecter up there in second, but that's a different story.  But to me the Strat and Tele are so different that they may as well have come from two different manufacturers - and each has it's place.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I was shocked that the bridge pickup in this last Tele pickup set I got does high gain like Metallica/Pantera (obviously not the full bottom end) and old Sabbath with low noise and stays fairly tight yet rolled back it does Tom Petty, Billy Squire, etc. really well. It still twangs like a Tele when the gain is lowered. If you put one of those Little 59 or other single sized HB in the bridge if either a Strat or Tele you cover such a wide range of tones.  First 3 or 4 electrics I had were HH types. I wasn't paying enough attention to figure out Judas Priest, Scorpions, Crue and others were doing hard rock with single coil Strats..
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I prefer the Tele for clean/chime/twang stuff...but I can easily make do with a S/S/S strat, especially if the pickups are vintage style.

Strat's got more versatility, but I still love the Tele.

If you build, you can "Get Both".

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd go with the Strat, because I like Strats... and I think Teles are fugly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
This is Arf Com...get both. I have both and each one whispers a different voice to me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is Arf Com...get both. I have both and each one whispers a different voice to me.
View Quote
This is what I'd tend to say.  Even if Ric money isn't available, (when is it?) a MIM Strat or Tele or a Tribute Legacy or ASAT can be had for $300-$350 a piece.  If those are your bases, they're relatively easy to cover, financially.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Go to the store and play a ton of MIMs unplugged. Buy the one that sounds the best and plays the best. Then just redo all the electronics and set it up properly. Costs half as much as an American and you get exactly what you want. Then you can buy both!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Go to the store and play a ton of MIMs unplugged. Buy the one that sounds the best and plays the best. Then just redo all the electronics and set it up properly. Costs half as much as an American and you get exactly what you want. Then you can buy both!
View Quote
To quote my brother in law "You can get a Fender made in the US by Mexicans or a Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans".
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hell, why not buy a Squier SE, get all the precise hardware and pickups you want, and you can have it exactly the way you want it, and *still* have enough left over for a cool amp or some pedals.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#30]
If I didn't already have a Strat, I would buy this one. Beautiful and has a ton of features. I am seriously considering buying it anyway, even though I already have a USA Strat that I don't play a whole lot.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/american-ultra-stratocaster/0118012734.html

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Strats are more versatile and can make a larger number of distinct sounds. If you are going to only have one, get the Strat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:09:57 PM EDT
[#32]
I wouldn't over think it.  Play a few and see what you like.  You can play the kind of music you like with either one.  A couple pedals, an amp, and nobody will be able to tell the difference by listening anyway.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:26:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, an option if you can't decide would be to put a Seymour Duncan Twangbanger in the middle. This'll give some Tele-ish tones along with all the Strat tones.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Or buy a G&L made in Indonesia with American electronics used off reverb for 350.
View Quote
I love my Mexi Strat and hope to get an Eric Johnson one of these days. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for passing on a gorgeous G&L Tele in natural finish for $200. Went back to the pawn shop to buy it the next day and it was gone.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

It's a Tele with a Strat pickup between the bridge and neck pups.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Pawnshop one of each for not much difference than a just one new one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#39]
The Telecaster doesn't have nearly as much of a following as the Strat, but I like it better. I've found the neck is more suited to my style than any other guitar, and it's really the only electric I would buy again unless it's just for fun.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Did you get either one of these @BB?  Curious if you settled on one or the other or something else.  

I'm in the market now too and of course both of these are on my radar.  There's something I like and dislike about each one.  If I could somehow have the parts I like about both crammed into one, that's what I'd want.  But not sure what that is yet.  

I don't prefer the tone and sounds of the Strat but the body is way more comfy.   I've been lusting after a 72 Custom style Tele with the body shaped and a Strat neck.  And different pickups than just standard Tele pick ups.  I prefer Tele tone's but only sometimes.  I had an American Tele for about a year and it was too twangy for me.  But back in the day I had 2 MIM Teles that I liked the tone of better than Strats for sure.  I rarely used the bridge PUP, in fact pretty much never.  But I'm learning to use the tone knob more now but almost any bridge pickup still isn't my favorite sound for what I do mostly.  

I think I'd like a Tele with P90's.  I might like a Strat with P90's.  Or maybe I should just do a Jazzmaster with those flat P90is pups it has.  I just don't like all the switches and where the PUP switch is.  I prefer both the strat and tele for that.  It's where it should be and out of the way of strumming.  LOL.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I think you should get a mustang, duosonic, or jaguar.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Same in Texas Tea.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think you should get a mustang, duosonic, or jaguar.
View Quote

I think you're talking to me, and yeah, they're one my radar.  The G&L Fallout too.  The Jaguar thing is a bit of a different animal though cuz some models have lots of switches but I know they made some stripped down versions too.  Just like the Jazzmaster.  

I'm trying to not overlook models that have coil tapping too.  I didn't realize that all the new Epiphone Modern muse models had that until last night.  I still think P90's sound better but those give you a lot of choices.  I think I'd even like a LP type guitar with just single coils...  LOL.  Possibly?  Not sure there is such an animal though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I think you're talking to me, and yeah, they're one my radar.  The G&L Fallout too.  The Jaguar thing is a bit of a different animal though cuz some models have lots of switches but I know they made some stripped down versions too.  Just like the Jazzmaster.  

I'm trying to not overlook models that have coil tapping too.  I didn't realize that all the new Epiphone Modern muse models had that until last night.  I still think P90's sound better but those give you a lot of choices.  I think I'd even like a LP type guitar with just single coils...  LOL.  Possibly?  Not sure there is such an animal though.
View Quote

Harley Benton's are well reviewed...with P90 in a LP junior type config:

https://m.thomannmusic.com/harley_benton_sc_junior_vintage_sunburst.htm?o=118&search=1590784606
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did you get either one of these @BB?  Curious if you settled on one or the other or something else.  

I'm in the market now too and of course both of these are on my radar.  There's something I like and dislike about each one.  If I could somehow have the parts I like about both crammed into one, that's what I'd want.  But not sure what that is yet.  

I don't prefer the tone and sounds of the Strat but the body is way more comfy.   I've been lusting after a 72 Custom style Tele with the body shaped and a Strat neck.  And different pickups than just standard Tele pick ups.  I prefer Tele tone's but only sometimes.  I had an American Tele for about a year and it was too twangy for me.  But back in the day I had 2 MIM Teles that I liked the tone of better than Strats for sure.  I rarely used the bridge PUP, in fact pretty much never.  But I'm learning to use the tone knob more now but almost any bridge pickup still isn't my favorite sound for what I do mostly.  

I think I'd like a Tele with P90's.  I might like a Strat with P90's.  Or maybe I should just do a Jazzmaster with those flat P90is pups it has.  I just don't like all the switches and where the PUP switch is.  I prefer both the strat and tele for that.  It's where it should be and out of the way of strumming.  LOL.
View Quote

No, currently working on un-fucking my LP that I thought it would be a good idea to modify. BUT, I've got my eye on a '72 Tele Custom that is something of a bargain. I just really want that twang, and Keith Richards..well, you know.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK it doesn't look like a LP.  In fact it looks odd and some can't get past that.  But if you want a truly versatile and flat out playing guitar hard to beat a Parker Fly.  Most have split hum buckers with coil tap and built in fishman piezo.  All the Flys are set neck and weigh about 5 lbs.  I won't blame ya if you can't get past that style though.

Link Posted: 6/1/2020 3:44:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Get both the Strat and the Tele.  You buy one,  you’ll always want the other.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Get both the Strat and the Tele.  You buy one,  you'll always want the other.
View Quote
After having two strats (which I no longer own), a TexMex and a USA SRV Sig, I no longer have any desire to own another. I really want to own all the Telecasters though .  My Tele with a overwound neck pickup gets so close to that fat position 4 of Strat tone anyway.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Different animals. You need to know the sound you are looking for.

To me a strat always sounds like a strat (assuming you don't use a super hot rodded pickup combo). There is no setting on a tele that emulates position 2 and position 4 on a strat 5 way switch IMO.

A tele can sound like almost anything. The front pickup can honk and you can drive the rear PUP hard. Think Led Zepplin I, or listen to Winery Dogs. In fact I recently built a Richie Kotchen-esque tele with a Dimarzio Chopper in the rear and a TwangKing in the front (using a 4 way switch). Incredibly flexible tones available. As an earlier post noted, tone is also contingent on the signal chain. PUPs->Pedals->Amp combinations will determine your final amount of 'Fenderish' chime.

Go play a bunch of different models and brands. The neck profile and radius are very individual and personal and are quite variable among real Fenders and their clones
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Rick money is not available unfortunately.
View Quote

True unless used and still $$$

buy a Strat, I have 5, but i'm really a tele guy

look for a used G&L tribute
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top