Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2019 1:23:39 PM EDT
Thanks to the info on this site, I had my first DE shave today. Merkur 34C, Merkur blade that came with it until I get some samples. Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandlewood soap and a cheap Perfecto Badger brush.
I'll admit I was a little scared I would cut the heck out of my face, but it went pretty well. No cuts and pretty close shave. Not a fan of the sandlewood scent, so I'll have to research some more scents.
Link Posted: 11/9/2019 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thanks to the info on this site, I had my first DE shave today. Merkur 34C, Merkur blade that came with it until I get some samples. Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandlewood soap and a cheap Perfecto Badger brush.
I'll admit I was a little scared I would cut the heck out of my face, but it went pretty well. No cuts and pretty close shave. Not a fan of the sandlewood scent, so I'll have to research some more scents.
View Quote
Yeah, I agree with you on the Sandlewood. Although I wouldn't give up on TOBS. They make some decent soap.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Taylor of old bond street makes some great scents.  I like their coconut, pink grapefruit and lemon scents.

The 34C is my go to razor.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I agree with you on the Sandlewood. Although I wouldn't give up on TOBS. They make some decent soap.
View Quote
Agree, good stuff.  The lavender is good (subtle) and I like the grapefruit a lot.
Link Posted: 11/12/2019 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the party.

Definitely get some samplers!!   You'll be amazed at the difference the blade makes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I also recommend some blade samplers. When I started wet shaving, I got a little "trigger happy" and bought 100 packs from blades that were good for beginners. Now I don't use them; If you want a few tucks, just let me know. I'll send you a few.

I also recommend different brand soap samples. The ones from Stirling last for more than 5 shaves and they are great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:20:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Threw lots of money at various DE razors and blades, including a nice Merkur or two.   Funny how things evolve, though, with experience.

Settled on a early 1900s open comb silver plated Gillette as my all time favorite.  Aggressive as hell, and I run either Astra (blue or green) and Feather blades.  Feather, most recently.  Gave $2 for the Gillette at a antique market.

Before evolving to a very aggressive razor, my favorite was a Shick double edge called the Krona.  Cheap and cheerful, very mild.  Still use it now and then.

All my expensive razors just sit.  The open comb is my every-day razor.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also recommend some blade samplers. When I started wet shaving, I got a little "trigger happy" and bought 100 packs from blades that were good for beginners. Now I don't use them; If you want a few tucks, just let me know. I'll send you a few.

I also recommend different brand soap samples. The ones from Stirling last for more than 5 shaves and they are great.
View Quote
Thanks for the offer, but Fish223 sent me a bunch of samples.
I tried the Astra Blue and thought it was similar to the Merkur blade that came with the razor. Had my 2nd shave with the Feather today and I think that is my favorite so far. No cuts with any of them so far.
Also the Taylor Sandlewood is starting to grow on me. I will be ordering some different soap samples shortly, I wanted to make sure DE was for me before I started spending even more money. Not sure what soap I will try next. So many to choose from.
Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome!

I've been shaving with a DE razor for a year next month, and I wish I had started using one years ago.  I get a much better shave than I ever got with the modern whatzit razors.

My go to razor is a 1937 vintage Gillette.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been DE shaving for about 5 years now.  I've settled on Gillette adjustables at #5 (I usually alternate monthly between a Fat Boy ($35) and a Slim ($20), both from ebay and cleaned up with scrubbing bubbles).  I use Feather blades, have settled on ARKO soap, and a cheap badger brush and shaving mug from Amazon.

2 lathers and passes--seldom get cut or weepers. Overall, I really enjoy the process of shaving now.

Your mileage may vary.    Check Badger and Blade forums.  https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/forums/
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
So far the Shark blades seem to work best for me.
I got a silver tip brush and shave mug  from Parker for Christmas and art of Shave lavender shave cream that I really like.
Very happy I switched to DE.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let the razor do the work. Don't apply much pressure. Make short, light, strokes.

For a better shave, buy a vintage Gillette. By "vintage" I mean something 100 + years old.  Gillette made their best razors first. And, it was before their SJW stance.

My daily razor is a 1916 Single Ring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice OP, I have a Merkur 34C too and love it.  For soap try Proraso (the tube kind) - costs around $10, lasts roughly 5 months and feels/smells great.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandlewood soap...
View Quote
I found that soap lacked lubricity even after going through an entire bar of it over a few months.

My latest soap is a Lucky Franc’s Sandalwood (I actually like Sandalwood scent) that seems to far superior in facilitating the “glide” of the razor over my skin.

I’ve also had good performance with the Proraso soap out of both the plastic bowl and tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top