Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2019 1:06:27 PM EDT
Background-

42 years old, 6'1", 230 lbs.
I strength train 3-5 days a week and try to run 1-2 days a week but have been slacking lately. Once upon a time, I was a Green Belt Instructor in MCMAP but that was 15 years ago.

We started with stretching and a light warm-up to get a nice sweat going. Fairly standard and nothing too outlandish.

Instruction for me this class centered on the full guard and scissor sweep from full guard. I enjoyed the mental aspect of each technique and the different combinations of submissions or sweeps from each position. We drilled these and I received constant correction to my technique along the way. I had to fight the temptation to Mongo my way into positions and instead focus on technique.

We finished with sparring. Being a no-stripe white belt, the name of the game was survival. Try to maintain guard or get back to guard if I lost it. My partner was a purple belt, 6'2", 250. I fully went into the sparring expecting to get choked out numerous times but I was able to stall him in my guard and scrambled well when I felt him beginning to pass. I was able to gain side control after the scramble but was swept when I tried to mount. We ended up with him in side control and finally finishing me with an Americana. Dude was HEAVY. Not just his weight but how he was able to use it to completely neutralize me in side control. Completely smothered me. Great cardio workout and I can already feel which muscles do the majority of the work (core and legs).

Overall a great experience and I can't wait for the next class. Until then, it's Youtube videos and Yoga.

I'm sure that I'm not the only white belt murder victim here. Share your stories, tips or general experience on your BJJ journey so I can get my osmosis on.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Working with a higher belt that knows how to effectively use pressure is...challenging. I trained with one of my Krav Maga instructors who was a striped blue belt at the time in BJJ. He was only about 225 until he was in side control, then he became about 500.

Learn how to belly breathe, don't try to muscle through, concentrate on technique vs strength. If you try to power through everyone you will run out of gas and make mistakes....ask me how I know
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's cute because you think you got anything he didnt let you have. Haha have fun and try not to let your ego make you use all your strength because then you will end up injured.
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
It can be tough getting back in to martial arts as a white belt, when you've already been a green belt, holding back is the hardest part.

Sounds like you had a fun first class, wanting to jump right back in like that is normal.

It's only natural to want to test your sparring partner, after all he's testing you.

Good for you for getting back in to it.

My latest story...just this last Wednesday.

My younger brother was in town this weekend visting from FL, I got him  interested in Jui Jitsu about 15 years ago, apparently someone out there taught him right.

I let him get me in a rear naked choke, I had to tap out of, I was heading off to the twilight zone.

Once I learned he had some good training, I didn't let him get a hold of me again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It can be tough getting back in to martial arts as a white belt, when you've already been a green belt, holding back is the hardest part.

Sounds like you had a fun first class, wanting to jump right back in like that is normal.

It's only natural to want to test your sparring partner, after all he's testing you.

Good for you for getting back in to it.

My latest story...just this last Wednesday.

My younger brother was in town this weekend visting from FL, I got him  interested in Jui Jitsu about 15 years ago, apparently someone out there taught him right.

I let him get me in a rear naked choke, I had to tap out of, I was heading off to the twilight zone.

Once I learned he had some good training, I didn't let him get a hold of me again.
View Quote
I realized quickly how much I had forgotten! I think my age and time away from training has allowed me to be a blank slate and I am treating this like I have no prior experience. I am in sponge mode and having fun. Four classes since the first one and I am hooked. I may have to find another gym due to my work schedule changing.

Any thoughts on what to look for or avoid as I search for a home gym that has a better schedule? I like the gym I am currently at because classes are so small and I get a ton of individual instruction plus my current work schedule jives with their class schedule.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I just started my 6 year old daughter in BJJ because she wanted to learn "karate"

Ive considered joining on the family plan for a few months but I travel for work and would miss many of the classes.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's cute because you think you got anything he didnt let you have. Haha have fun and try not to let your ego make you use all your strength because then you will end up injured.
View Quote
Exactly. I wasn't going to say it.
"Mongo" was my only weapon the first few months. Now it's my go to when I'm being dominated.
Rener Gracie has some very good videos about beginning GBJJ. I picked the first one that came up, but there's more and they're worth watching.
Surviving the First 6 Months of Sparring (Gracie Breakdown)
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
This is Why You Roll Worse against White Belts in BJJ
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Focus on survival positions and escapes.

Learn to shrimp and umpa out of mount, you will need to chain them together.

Focus on side control escapes, you will get stuck there more than mount. Learn to recover guard from side control and how to get to a knee tap / turnover.

Learn headlock escapes, standing and on the ground. Learn kesa gatame and knee on belly escapes.

I’m a blue with 3 stripes.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I realized quickly how much I had forgotten! I think my age and time away from training has allowed me to be a blank slate and I am treating this like I have no prior experience. I am in sponge mode and having fun. Four classes since the first one and I am hooked. I may have to find another gym due to my work schedule changing.

Any thoughts on what to look for or avoid as I search for a home gym that has a better schedule? I like the gym I am currently at because classes are so small and I get a ton of individual instruction plus my current work schedule jives with their class schedule.
View Quote
Man, if that class is working with your schedule try and stick with that.

If you're getting individual instruction that much, it's a win for you.

Starting off in a small class is the best thing you can do, especially if you're getting back in to it.

How's the progress going?

I started off with Kajukenpo/Jui Jitsu in a class of 3, myself and 2 ladies.

2 of us were able to get our black belts within 3 years due to the one on one training.

Before anyone chimes in with 3 years is short for a BB, train 4 days a week and every other Saturday then tell me.

I'm eager to hear your progress.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]
It's only gay if you make eye contact
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Never done a martial art, mid 30s soft desk jockey, but seriously considering going to a beginner BJJ class.

Very intimidated! I’m sure actually driving over and going the first time is the hardest part.

Great info here though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Background-

42 years old, 6'1", 230 lbs.
I strength train 3-5 days a week and try to run 1-2 days a week but have been slacking lately. Once upon a time, I was a Green Belt Instructor in MCMAP but that was 15 years ago.

We started with stretching and a light warm-up to get a nice sweat going. Fairly standard and nothing too outlandish.

Instruction for me this class centered on the full guard and scissor sweep from full guard. I enjoyed the mental aspect of each technique and the different combinations of submissions or sweeps from each position. We drilled these and I received constant correction to my technique along the way. I had to fight the temptation to Mongo my way into positions and instead focus on technique.

We finished with sparring. Being a no-stripe white belt, the name of the game was survival. Try to maintain guard or get back to guard if I lost it. My partner was a purple belt, 6'2", 250. I fully went into the sparring expecting to get choked out numerous times but I was able to stall him in my guard and scrambled well when I felt him beginning to pass. I was able to gain side control after the scramble but was swept when I tried to mount. We ended up with him in side control and finally finishing me with an Americana. Dude was HEAVY. Not just his weight but how he was able to use it to completely neutralize me in side control. Completely smothered me. Great cardio workout and I can already feel which muscles do the majority of the work (core and legs).

Overall a great experience and I can't wait for the next class. Until then, it's Youtube videos and Yoga.

I'm sure that I'm not the only white belt murder victim here. Share your stories, tips or general experience on your BJJ journey so I can get my osmosis on.
View Quote
@Pig-Pen

ARFCOM BJJ Thread

What school are you attending, not location but branding wise?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top