BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Then you have no competence to be directing a fire department of ANY size.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard that our local FD will not going into a house if there is ammo cooking off.

Can any FD confirm that type of policy?
If I was running a small, stretched thin dept, I might embrace that
Then you have no competence to be directing a fire department of ANY size.
Oh tell me more about how you embrace risk reduction Chief.

A 3 man engine on scene with 2nd due more than 10 mins out  and ammo cooking off?  Yeah maybe i would say defensive mode.

But you go ahead and do you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Can I just ask? Are they 100% sure this guy wasn't sniped by someone in the area of the fire.

We had a police officer killed here in Tallahassee that way. Crazy asshole set fire to his house,  deputy arrived and was ambushed and murdered.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Did he get hit with the bullet or the case?

When I was in the Navy, we had an AO lose an eye from a hot case from a cooked off round hitting him in the eye.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This, as many rounds have been tossed in fire and just popped and traveled a few inches or even blew out the primer or side of the case and the bullet remained seated in the brass, I’d suspect that the round cooked off inside of the chamber of a firearm, or it could be some complete fluke, it doesn’t take much velocity when you’re talking a small but relatively heavy object to damage an eye.
View Quote
If you read the article linked, the fire fighter suffered a through and through gunshot wound to the head - in through the face, out the side of the head.  It definitely cooked off in a weapon, no other explanation.  Makes me wonder about the loaded guns I have around the house, and in safes.  Never really considered this risk before.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It is amazing the amount of ignorance even on this firearm site.

There is NO danger from ammo cooking off unless it is in a firearm chamber.

Look at the posted video.
View Quote
It's amazing how people are willing to trust blindly to a single video, and ignore the existence of other possibilities.

*IF* the ammo is uncontained, single rounds, of common centerfire pistol or rifle calibers...sure...not much risk. But what about .50 BMG or other larger DD rounds?

https://youtu.be/vJ9jOGde4ws

That accurately replicates what would happen if a .50 were up against a wall or cabinet when it went off.

Take it a step further, and assume that debris or other hard objects have fallen onto or around the cartridge. Anything that can act to contain the pressure is going to increase the velocity of whichever part (bullet or casing) is free to ballistically depart.

About a decade ago while working at a local range I was asked to go empty the big jug of dud and damaged live rounds, and burn them with the rest of the junk pile. We poured them out with the normal garbage for the burn pit, and lit it. Within a few minutes they started popping off as you'd expect..but every once in a while stuff would depart at a high rate of speed. Metal buildings 25-50 yards away were pinging with stuff hitting them, and we decided to take cover after something moving fast enough to whiz passed between my head and the other guy with me, before pinging off the vehicle behind us.

Had one of those hit an eye, it would quite possibly have taken it out.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If my home was on fire, I would have to in good conscience warn the arriving firemen of the location and approximate round count of my ammo fort.
View Quote
qft
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lots of info missing from article... Was he performing interior attack......yard breathing...etc,etc,etc.. What?

I've been to a ton of fires where ammo was cooking off..... Sound of shit in garages and under kitchen sinks was louder and scarier and would cause me more harm than unchambered ammo.

The heat alone would cause primer to pop but most brass, shotgun shells etc that ive seen have been melted masses....
View Quote
This^

I’ve been to lots of fires with ammo cooking off. Firecrackers . The brass usually bursts .This house a few weeks back gd thousands of rounds.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

What Happens When Ammo Burns? Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter | SAAMI.org
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's amazing how people are willing to trust blindly to a single video, and ignore the existence of other possibilities.

*IF* the ammo is uncontained, single rounds, of common centerfire pistol or rifle calibers...sure...not much risk. But what about .50 BMG or other larger DD rounds?

That accurately replicates what would happen if a .50 were up against a wall or cabinet when it went off.

Take it a step further, and assume that debris or other hard objects have fallen onto or around the cartridge. Anything that can act to contain the pressure is going to increase the velocity of whichever part (bullet or casing) is free to ballistically depart.

About a decade ago while working at a local range I was asked to go empty the big jug of dud and damaged live rounds, and burn them with the rest of the junk pile. We poured them out with the normal garbage for the burn pit, and lit it. Within a few minutes they started popping off as you'd expect..but every once in a while stuff would depart at a high rate of speed. Metal buildings 25-50 yards away were pinging with stuff hitting them, and we decided to take cover after something moving fast enough to whiz passed between my head and the other guy with me, before pinging off the vehicle behind us.

View Quote
The setup they had in that video does not accurately replicate detonation of an unchambered round. The fixture they held the cartridge in effectively served as a breechface - allowing expansion of the propellant gases to accelerate the projectile past the case neck.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
but everyone in the GD has been saying for years that rounds that cook off can never hurt anyone.
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Act as if all guns are loaded at all times.

2. Always keep firearms pointed in a safe direction.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:12:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't have a problem with the firefighters letting it go.  They have no idea what else is in the area.  Plenty of posts from people with "loaded" firearms around the house so they have it/them handy.  Or "It comes off the belt and goes in the "safe." etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:18:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
but everyone in the GD has been saying for years that rounds that cook off can never hurt anyone.
View Quote
Because SAAMI and FFs say the same thing.

As already noted, it's loaded guns that are dangerous, because then the explosion is directed, rather than just have the brass case blow out.

This kind of thing happens in neighborhoods where people use ovens as a place to hide their guns and as a cheap option for home heating.  Every winter somebody has rounds going through their house because of it.  It's the ammo + chamber in the gun, not ammo alone.

ETA: Firefighter PPE is pretty durable stuff, too.  Homes are full of things that will explode under heat.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Read the article.  The way it reads, the only real solution to protect our firefighters is to never, ever store ammunition in your home.  Even in firearms.

If it saves just one fireman's eye, it is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've heard stories of departments watching houses burn down after they were told about an ammo fort.
View Quote
They won’t do a penetration attack here if they know you have ammo or they hear it cooking off. They will sit on the street and spray your house. If you live close to your neighbor, they will spray their house too. Things may have changed now that I live in an area with a professional FD and not a Vol FD.

I’m still wondering why the dumb bitch that built this house didn’t put a smoke (wired) alarm in the fricken laundry room.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Was he wearing proper ppe?

If it was a chambered round, he'd have more than an eye injury.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 4:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Spray paint cans and other compressed flammables are FAR more dangerous during interior fire attack than even a garage shelf full of small arms ammo. Especially if that ammo is stored in military ammo cans (shocker).

Had a 3 bay garage fire (cause: car fire) with about 2 large shelves full of ammo popping off a couple years back. Was quite the show for the gawkers out front but a 2.5" crosslay through the side door took care of that pretty quick.

Scariest gun related thing during a fire was actually during overhaul when we found a big ass gun safe hidden on the 2nd floor above us that was a tad overweight for the floor to safely support under normal conditions. Was working below that big bitch for quite a bit during attack.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]
this happened in my state.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A 3 man engine on scene with 2nd due more than 10 mins out  and ammo cooking off?  Yeah maybe i would say defensive mode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In a situation like that, you'd be hard pressed to defend an aggressive interior attack even if ammo wasn't cooking off inside.

Quoted:
I've been to a ton of fires where ammo was cooking off..... Sound of shit in garages and under kitchen sinks was louder and scarier and would cause me more harm than unchambered ammo.
Had a job in an auto parts store once. We were slipping and sliding down the aisles. Shit was exploding all over the place. Not to mention, our gear was a fucking mess by the time it was out.
Heavy, heavy fire condition. Good engine job.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
My guess is it was a piece of brass. Ammo pops like popcorn when burned but has no real velocity and many times the bullet stays seats as the case erupts.

I've seen tests where they burned a pallet of ammo surrounded by dry wall and none of it penetrated completely through even drywall when burned.

But sometimes it in the test it did have case "shrapnel" nearly make it through the drywall and if hit in the naked eye is could be dangerous. Had he worn some sort of eye protection though he would have been fine.

Aerosol cans paint, oven cleaner, etc in pressurized can are more dangerous than small arms ammo when burned.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In a situation like that, you'd be hard pressed to defend an aggressive interior attack even if ammo wasn't cooking off inside.

Had a job in an auto parts store once. We were slipping and sliding down the aisles. Shit was exploding all over the place. Not to mention, our gear was a fucking mess by the time it was out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Exactly my point.  Internet commandos or Chiefs shouldn't make blanket statements about all size departments.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:39:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As already noted, it's loaded guns that are dangerous, because then the explosion is directed, rather than just have the brass case blow out.

This kind of thing happens in neighborhoods where people use ovens as a place to hide their guns and as a cheap option for home heating.  Every winter somebody has rounds going through their house because of it.  It's the ammo + chamber in the gun, not ammo alone.

ETA: Firefighter PPE is pretty durable stuff, too.  Homes are full of things that will explode under heat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local FFs I know told me about the guns in the oven thing.  It hadn't occurred to me but then I remembered I'm not trying to heat my house with an oven and hide guns from LE...yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd still like to know what assignment this guys was doing when hit. Interior attack? Performing salvage and over haul? Or performing task exterior of the structure?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Accident happened while on the job? Wouldn't he be fully covered and not need a GoFundMe?

Ans yes, it would have had to be a loaded gun cooking off and not a box of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Interior attack...SCBA mask.
View Quote
I don't know that jurisduction, but we don't go interior on trailers.  But yeah, even fighting it from outside the dude should be masked up.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Loose ammo in a structure fire is mostly a non event to firefighters in proper PPE.  I have used this video many times training our people and new guys at the academy on ammo fires.

Now a round in a chamber, no different than pulling the trigger.  The fact that it went all the way through his head, had to be in the chamber of a firearm IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c
View Quote
TFL
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was he wearing proper ppe?

If it was a chambered round, he'd have more than an eye injury.
View Quote
Did you read the article?  The bullet struck him on one side of the head and went completely through the other side resulting in a skull fracture and damage to his hearing.

According to an update on a GoFundMe account, Walker-Pugh was hit by the ammo at the corner of his eye and traveled through his head, exiting behind his ear. It also caused a fractured skull and brain bleed
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Getting hurt but loose ammo cooking off may be a freak thing, but it can definitely happen. I picked up a kid a few years ago that lost an eye to a .22 round in a fire in his yard. The case hit his eye just about perfectly and wrecked it. A hit anywhere else would probably have just been a bruise.
View Quote
The heat from the case due to the fire probably caused most of the damage to the eye over the actual impact.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Loose ammo in a structure fire is mostly a non event to firefighters in proper PPE.  I have used this video many times training our people and new guys at the academy on ammo fires.

Now a round in a chamber, no different than pulling the trigger.  The fact that it went all the way through his head, had to be in the chamber of a firearm IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c
View Quote
Yup. That's a great video and have shared it with many. The concern isn't stored/loose ammunition or even loaded magazines in firearms, it's if there are any firearms stored with a round chambered.

All firearms should be stored with a hammer down on an empty chamber.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know that jurisduction, but we don't go interior on trailers.  But yeah, even fighting it from outside the dude should be masked up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interior attack...SCBA mask.
Room- contents or working fire in one area we'll go in.... Fully involved or a large precentage of it involved, exterior attack. Exterior we're on air as well.

These newer constructed mobile homes hold up really well to fire... I guess design change, code and material of construction has changed through the years. Fuckers will hold a ton of heat too....

Gone are the days of 'they burn really quick'...

Anyone else in rural areas notice this on newer mobile homes?
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Cleared all my loaded weapons one night when I woke up thinking I might be smelling smoke.  Went out into the hall and could detect a tiny bit of haze.  Went outside and sure enough there's the FD, turns out 1st floor unit had their HVAC smoke out.  Not sure if there was ever no-shit flames, but it was enough to get smoke all the way up to me on the 3rd floor.  In casual talk with one of the firefighters who went into my unit to check, mentioned that I thought I might have smelled real smoke (as opposed to someone burned their dinner) so I went ahead and checked all my firearm chambers clear, to which he grinned and said "very much appreciated".  Didn't say anything about the loose ammo being a problem, though I didn't ask.

The CCW class instructor talked about the fire department just letting your house burn down if you didn't store your ammo in a fireproof safe, or at least a metal ammo can.  After thinking about it myself for a bit, I mentally called bullshit knowing that a bullet needs a barrel to accelerate it.  I live in an apartment, I don't have room for that many ammo cans.  Or the patience to break open that many cases and move the ammo over.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Well we should probably ban ammo now
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:16:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:17:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Cleared all my loaded weapons one night when I woke up thinking I might be smelling smoke.  Went out into the hall and could detect a tiny bit of haze.  Went outside and sure enough there's the FD, turns out 1st floor unit had their HVAC smoke out.  Not sure if there was ever no-shit flames, but it was enough to get smoke all the way up to me on the 3rd floor.  In casual talk with one of the firefighters who went into my unit to check, mentioned that I thought I might have smelled real smoke (as opposed to someone burned their dinner) so I went ahead and checked all my firearm chambers clear, to which he grinned and said "very much appreciated".  Didn't say anything about the loose ammo being a problem, though I didn't ask.

The CCW class instructor talked about the fire department just letting your house burn down if you didn't store your ammo in a fireproof safe, or at least a metal ammo can.  After thinking about it myself for a bit, I mentally called bullshit knowing that a bullet needs a barrel to accelerate it.  I live in an apartment, I don't have room for that many ammo cans.  Or the patience to break open that many cases and move the ammo over.
View Quote
That's ridiculous. In my entire career as a firefighter I have not given one single fuck about ammo in someone's house. I don't think we've ever even discussed it. There are certainly many things to be concerned about, but ammo generally isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If my home was on fire, I would have to in good conscience warn the arriving firemen of the location and approximate round count of my ammo fort.
View Quote
I did. Then I was off to the hospital, and the poor FFs had to lug it all out, and then unload it at our little three man PD evidence room, where it filled it completely.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not maybe, it had to be.  It has nowhere near the velocity to do anywhere near the kind of damage described in the article.  Not even .50BMG.  
View Quote
Not entirely true. While most ammo will cook off and provide little velocity for the projectile, I’ve personally witnessed a section of 5-6 linked .50 BMG rounds fall off the top of an MRAP, land on gravel, and send a bullet 6” into a hesco barrier filled with sand from about 20’. That would have been lethal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

What Happens When Ammo Burns? Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter | SAAMI.org
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:27:03 AM EDT
[#39]
The brass can sting if it hits you.
The coals sting when thrown on your hand.

No chamber not much force.

Edit my experience was 5.56
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I've heard stories of departments watching houses burn down after they were told about an ammo fort.
View Quote
I'd be surprised if this were true
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does this happen often?  I figured the round needed to be chambered to have any real velocity.

wow....
View Quote
This should explain everything anyone needs to know about ammo and fires

Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I heard that our local FD will not going into a house if there is ammo cooking off.

Can any FD confirm that type of policy?
View Quote
Good, if my house was in a blaze, let it burn I don't want FFs on my property
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh tell me more about how you embrace risk reduction Chief.

But you go ahead and do you.
View Quote
The ammo cooking off has nothing to do with going defensive . You need a pump operator,  that leaves you with 2 to stretch a line in and in order to do so you're gonna need 2 outside so they had to wait for the second due company before conducting an interior attack . NFPA mandated

edit : NFPA 1500, 2 in 2 out rule . They would be 1 man short
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Room- contents or working fire in one area we'll go in.... Fully involved or a large precentage of it involved, exterior attack. Exterior we're on air as well.

These newer constructed mobile homes hold up really well to fire... I guess design change, code and material of construction has changed through the years. Fuckers will hold a ton of heat too....

Gone are the days of 'they burn really quick'...

Anyone else in rural areas notice this on newer mobile homes?
View Quote
Noticed that myself a while back.  Some of the homes in my area are double and triple wides on permanent foundations.  Came home from work, neighbor's place up the road had smoke pouring out, FF on the scene.  I drove over, and spoke to the owner.  He was home, and one of those Glade plug-in air fresheners had gone nuclear, and started the fire in one of the kid's rooms.  Once the fire was out, and the house cleared of smoke, we went in.  Fire had been contained to the one room, smoke damage was the biggest culprit.  Now, here's what's really amazing.  His homeowner's insurance had the restoration company out the next day.  After a couple of weeks of them working, you couldn't even tell there had been a fire in the place.  No smoke odor at all.

Yes, fire codes have changed a lot since the early Airstream days.  They have also gotten to the point that if dropped on a permanent foundation, you can't tell them from a stick-build except for the HUD tag on the butt end.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
All the things you reported whizzing by were NOT projectiles.  They were pieces of the brass cases.  The projectile is WAY to heavy to be launched any distance in an unconfined detonation.  The small slivers of brass, however, WILL travel some distance.

The small slivers of brass ALSO lack the ballistic characteristics to completely penetrate a human skull through and through, as was reported in the article from the OP.   If the fireman was REALLY injured/killed by a through and through projectile impact, it had to come from a cartridge in a firearm, and not from loose rounds, even if the rounds were buried in some fire damage debris.

Physics (and strength of materials) is what dictates this behavior.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#46]
bullshit    small arms ammo is harmless laying in a fire

I have literally burned thousands of old rounds.    have stood over burn barrels burning hundreds of rounds

this is a myth  something else did that to him or it was loaded in a rifle and cooked off
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not maybe, it had to be.  It has nowhere near the velocity to do anywhere near the kind of damage described in the article.  Not even .50BMG.  
View Quote
This.

As boy scouts, we always used to throw ammo in the campfire for entertainment.    It never failed to separate the newbies and sissies real fast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This.

As boy scouts, we always used to throw ammo in the campfire for entertainment.    It never failed to separate the newbies and sissies real fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

"Someone" threw a .22 into grandpa's burn barrel thinking it would make grandpa jump next time he burned trash

"Someone" also got their ass beat with a belt after it managed to shoot grandma through the foot and they couldn't hide their guilty face.

I still feel bad.
No idea how it did it, just really bad luck, but there are no absolutes.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to sound like a dick, but that would be one beautiful detonation
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep

I would get out all I could and just tell them to let it burn. No need in endangering someone's well being over stuff.

I would just go rent a place until I get the insurance check and build another home.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top