Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 4:24:53 PM EDT
Fire and Blood is a prequel to the Game of Thrones.  It is set 300 years before game of thrones.
Has any body read it?  I am reluctant to spend $1600 for a Kindle book.

Fire and Blood.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fire and Blood is a prequel to the Game of Thrones.  It is set 300 years before game of thrones.
Has any body read it?  I am reluctant to spend $1600 for a Kindle book.

Fire and Blood.
View Quote
Looks like you might be missing a decimal point. Unless I missed something.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That fat fuck will never finish GoT.

Dumb and Dumber’s ending will be canon.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Your right $16.00
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Your right $16.00
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your right $16.00
Too many digits if you're rounding.  $16 or $15.99!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sigh.
View Quote
That kinda thing really turned me off of reading them. Hard to stay invested in something with a huge break between each book. The Gentlemen Bastards series and Name of the Wind books are the same. Really hard to want to read the next one when both of the authors have basically abandoned the series.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That kinda thing really turned me off of reading them. Hard to stay invested in something with a huge break between each book. The Gentlemen Bastards series and Name of the Wind books are the same. Really hard to want to read the next one when both of the authors have basically abandoned the series.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh.
The drastic falloff in writing quality after the third  didn’t help either.  AFFC and ADWD were pretty awful compared to the first three, and took almost a dozen years to produce.  The last two books have about a third of a good book worth of content (mostly the Arya chapters), and the rest is mostly trash and filler.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I read the first book then all the complaints and decided not to read anymore.  Seemed like it could have been a good world.

The parts I remember were really about the dragon woman.

This thread confirms I made the right choice.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read the first book then all the complaints and decided not to read anymore.  Seemed like it could have been a good world.

View Quote
I would disagree. I would give the 2nd and 3rd a read before I wrote the series off.

The 4th and 5th books tend to drag and there are a lot of repeative words, "nuncle", "words are wind", "much and more" but overall I enjoyed them. While not light reading, they are much more readable than a Le Carre novel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
First three books are brilliant. Next two are pretty awful. I like the dunk&egg stuff, but it’s mostly fluff. This latest book is dry as white toast, and lacking any of the charm of his good stuff.

Martin had three great books in him, but wrote himself into a corner, sold his soul to HBO, and has been in the shitter ever since.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just popped into the library today to get an audio book for my next work week in the car and saw Fire and Blood and snagged it. You could always ask the library to get it for you, or perhaps it's already checked out if you live in a bigger area.

Quoted:

Sigh.
View Quote
I check GRRM's blog about every month or two for any news about the latest book and there never is. There was a rumor that was being reported early last year that it was already at the printers but he addressed that and said it was absolutely false. I made a comment once on another blog when it was reported that the release would be a while. I said something to the effect that I hopes he finishes it before he dies, didn't even mean it in an offensive way, just truly hoping. Somebody replied to my comment and bashed me to no end. I actually think it was GRRM himself. I have read that he gets really pissed when people mention this concept that he may croak before he finishes it. MEANWHILE, what his blog is actually filled with is news about how his long time writer friends that have just passed away (yet he refuses to admit it could happen to him)! There's also news about him going to EVERY convention (sci-fi/writer's/fantasy/awards/etc) which basically tells me that he's not writing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#12]
@Grizz272 I'm two discs in and it is interesting. It reads like a history book so you're not getting super detailed accounts of each event but the highlights of them. I'm just getting into the 2nd and 3rd generation of Targearens (from the Aegon the Conqueror) and things are starting to get a little more detailed. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you're still on the fence.

I actually just finished a Western Civ audio lecture and it kind of seems like that, but more detailed since there's only 300ish years to cover verses 2500.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Grizz272 I'm two discs in and it is interesting. It reads like a history book so you're not getting super detailed accounts of each event but the highlights of them. I'm just getting into the 2nd and 3rd generation of Targearens (from the Aegon the Conqueror) and things are starting to get a little more detailed. Just thought I'd give you a heads up in case you're still on the fence.

I actually just finished a Western Civ audio lecture and it kind of seems like that, but more detailed since there's only 300ish years to cover verses 2500.
View Quote
Conclusion from the book:
1. We were told that the Targs mingle greatness and madness (may have been the case for Aegon I and his wives) . This book changes it to “mingles madness and total retardation”, which holds for later generations and breeds true.
2. Given #1, Dany and her brother were chips off the old block.
3. Old Valyria must have had smarter dragon riders than the Targs. Too bad they didn’t come instead.

ETA: if anything made the dry-as-toast book worth it, it was Balerion (the Black MFing Dread) doing Balerion things.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm almost half way through it, reading twenty to fifty pages and taking a break for a few days or weeks. Book is not written first person like the others. This is a narrative written by a maester or grand maester and is very dry and slow moving so far. Big badass dragon is best character so far.
Link Posted: 8/14/2019 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think Rothfuss just takes forever between books, I know he is working on it.
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top