Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2020 4:11:24 PM EDT
Just curious if anyone else’s department has instituted such a policy.  Policy is masks at all times inside unless you are in your room or eating, including while in the rig.  I’m not arguing that it’s not the chief’s right to do so.  Just curious if anyone has a similar policy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
We have to.  

I was on a large ground cover fire last week and the Forest Service has to wear them all the time too. (according to those guys)
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Mask, eyewear, and gloves on all calls. Practice good hygiene. Decon the apparatus and equipment after every confirmed or suspected COVID call. No one on my department has got it (yet, and hopefully won't). We are also a fire based EMS service, so both fire apparatus and ambulances, so our exposure is increased.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
We do not.  Clean twice a day, spread dinner out a little farther/by company so as not to have all 10 at the same table. No masks in rig, only on medicals or in buildings that require them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I was shooting the shit with my chief yesterday, and I’m pretty sure there was pressure from somewhere to put the restriction in place.  They said they had agreed to two weeks of masks, so we’ll see if that changes soon.  Had to stop an argument between two employees over masks yesterday, too.  One guy started it by claiming he was social distancing and hence didn’t need one, the other guy said “if I have to wear one, so do you”.  Yay.

Yesterday, I passed out in a recliner in the day room while wearing a surgical mask (didn’t mean to, I sat down for a few minutes and was out a short while later).  I got woken up by my Apple watch telling me my heart rate was under 40 for 10 minutes.  I naturally have a low resting heart rate, but I’ve never had it go that low before.  I’m almost positive it’s because of the mask.  Guess I’ll be spending more time isolated in my room where I don’t need one so I don’t brady out again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#5]
We have for a few weeks now. Whole county is. But we are a hot spot and every dept/agency has multiple positive employees.

From what I can tell the masks go on when a Chief or captain is around. They come off at 5pm or whenever admin isn’t around.

It is what it is.

Edit: full PPE on all calls. Full apparatus and personnel Decon every suspected covid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
we are supposed to use masks anytime we are in the station, engine or in public.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
We didnt have to wear them in the station. Last week Ohio came out with a travel advisory for certain states.I just got back from SC and since its on the list I may have to wear a mask 24/7 while at work
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
In station. Issued face covering to be worn.

On runs. N95, goggles and gloves.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We didnt have to wear them in the station. Last week Ohio came out with a travel advisory for certain states.I just got back from SC and since its on the list I may have to wear a mask 24/7 while at work
View Quote

I got back from the UK in June. Funeral.

FD had me quarantine for 14 days. Admin detail So I didn’t burn vacation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what the hospitals are seeing in terms of an uptick in respiratory infections like pleurisy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
All the time at the station, in the bays, in the apparatus, and in the public.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Someone told me that Little Rock fire is doing that, but I don't know for sure. My dept wouldn't even think about something that stupid.  Masks on all calls, though it's relaxed out doors. Full PPE on suspected covid calls. And the stations are restricted to fire/ems/le only.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 1:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm retired but the department has a 24-7 mask rule. Social distancing in the station. to and from calls. If they are cooking, the cook has to wear gloves and mask. I think FP and Pub Ed is suspended, hydrant inspections are drive bys. We use to flow, clear and recap hydrants as necessary. Those are some long days to be closed up in the station.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#15]
No masks in the station.  We are not set up for it, as we have a common bay for sleeping.

We did suspend all tours, visitors, inspections, and public outreach.

Full ppe on calls.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Another for Not in the stations and not in the truck

But if we go ANYWHERE in public we wear a neck gaiter
And N95 on calls
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]
only on calls or out in public so far. hope it stays that way
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Just saw this.
We closed our buildings to the public and family members in April.
We began wearing cloth masks in the station in June, unless you were in a room by yourself or eating. We distance at mealtimes. Mandatory masks on the rigs and medics, all times. On any patient encounter, minimum of eye pro, gloves, surgical mask but if any flu symptoms, etc, mandatory N95's. Covid calls, mandatory full plastic gowns also.
My eye pro immediately fogs up. Then I find myself having to cheat my mask down a bit to clear the fog, or give up and tilt my eye pro upwards to my forehead. It gets real fun when I have to read something and need my cheater glasses too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top