Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2018 10:31:20 AM EDT
I trust this is the right place to ask, I have an uncle who was killed 2/13/1968 in Hue. I was 9 months old. I have searched to no avail trying to find an account of the situation of his death. I have his 1st cavalry patch , and my father, his brother has only told me he was a 50cal gunner infantry. I specifically would like to find his COs report on the battle or a recount of the day it happened,  i hope to someday be able to go to vietnam  to go to where it happened,  any help would be appreciated

Seller Fi
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Go here:

National Records Archive

and request a copy of his military records.  That would be the best starting point.

Do it under your fathers name who is his brother.  It will be simpler that way.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd try starting with a general history of his unit's combat records.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, once more down the rabbit hole!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Start off with www.VirtualWall.org.  Plug in his name.  His basic info will come up and give some idea how he died.  Then you're going to have to dig deep into the archives for After Action and Casualty Reports from his unit.  More often than not all that will be said is PFC Snuffy KIA at a grid reference.  Won't be much detail due to the amount of casualities and action going on and the company or battalion clerks were too busy typing up radio logs, AAR's and morning reports to go into much detail.

One other bet would be after you find out what unit he was with, see if theres a veteran association of his unit and start asking around there.  I came across my uncles unit page and there was an amazing amount of detail put up by the vets.  If those vets don't know about your uncle they could point you in the right direction.

Vietnam Vets are getting to the age where they may be more inclined to talk and hopefully someone will let you guys know what happened.  Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Wish you much success on your journey! Thankful for the sacrifice made by your family!
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the info to all, I really wish I had been older to meet my uncle who died, if he was anything like my father , I am sure the world would have been better with him than without. Every time it was time to "get some" he is always in the back of my mind
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Update: I've been able to narrow his last battle to sometime around the battle of T T wood, have found lots of info on that so I'll keep updating
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Hue was a Marine battle, not sure how many cavalry soldiers would have been present.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hue was a Marine battle, not sure how many cavalry soldiers would have been present.
View Quote
This way my impression as well.
Then again, it was a long time before I realised the Army did most of the fighting in the PTO of WW2, not the USMC, so I could very well be wrong about the Imperial City.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
psst...

On 1 February, III Marine Amphibious Force (III MAF) Commander General Robert Cushman alerted the 1st Cavalry Division commander, Major General John J. Tolson, to be ready to deploy his 3rd Brigade into a sector west of Hu?. By 22:15 that night, Tolson's command had asked III MAF to coordinate with I Corps and Task Force X-Ray its designated area of operations in the Hu? sector. Tolson's plan called for an air assault by two battalions of the 3rd Brigade northwest of Hu?. The 2nd Battalion, 12th Cavalry was to arrive in the landing zone first, followed by the 5th Battalion, 7th Cavalry to be inserted near PK-17.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting about the above post.  I learn more every day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

psst...
View Quote
Thanks, I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Update: I've been able to narrow his last battle to sometime around the battle of T T wood, have found lots of info on that so I'll keep updating
View Quote
Was he married at the time?  If so, any chance your Aunt would have kept any of his documents?  I have a ton of records, orders, and citations for service members on my mother's side, my great-grandmother had 5 siblings serving during WWII and a lot of their kids served in Korea, Vietnam, and even Desert Storm.  One of the brothers put together a genealogy book on our families history about 20 years ago, and had a ton of records printed in the book.  If you do manage to get anything regarding your uncle's service, its worth saving and passing on the story to the generations after you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top