Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/6/2020 11:08:43 AM EDT
How do you find a reputable breeder and still not break the bank for a family dog?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe consider a rescue GSD?  We picked up ours end of January and I think it was around $250 to the rescue organization for her.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
My son just bought his first GSD lives in St. Louis suburbs.  He found an old dog trainer I think that breeds dogs for Police use.  I'm glad he brought a puppy because he needs to learn about his dog with his fiance.  Rescue dogs are great to have but, they do come with some baggage.  If you can deal with their problems and help them(the dog) learn a new life that's great.  I can do that now but, when I was young I couldn't do it I tried.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they can have some baggage.  Shortly after we got her, I was undressing and pulled my belt out of my pants and she zipped off to a corner and cowered.

She came crate-trained and housebroken and other than the expected accidents until she figured out what was what, haven't had any big issues with her. The rescue thought she might have been used for breeding and then dumped/escaped and when picked up off the street last November was in pretty bad shape.  In January she was up to 62lbs and now is around 65 which is probably where we'll keep her. Petite girl for a GSD.

The funniest thing was she apparently had never seen stairs--our house is built along a hill and is filled with stairs. That might have been a take-her-back issue, but a daughter brought her dog over and showed her how to go up and down them. No issues since then.

Super-smart dog. Bonus, I lost some weight. :)
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do you find a reputable breeder and still not break the bank for a family dog?
View Quote

We are looking at doing the same in Virginia in about 4 weeks.  When the chemotherapy is over.  I cannot wait!!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Watch the pound for a gsd/golden mix.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We have two GSD we got from a GSD/Malinois specific rescue.  One is a phenomenal dog, and the other is overall pretty good, but she has major anxiety issues.  I'm pretty upset that the rescue tried to hide that from us when we adopted her from them.  

As family dogs they are both about as good as you could ask for.  They're great with our kids, and other people who come to the house.  They're pretty protective without being overly aggressive.

We can walk them individually with no problems.  If we walk them together our female gets anxious around other dogs, and our male gets protective of her.

One positive thing about rescues is being able to get a more mature dog.  GSD puppies can be absolute handfuls.

Here's our boy a few years ago with my youngest daughter(who just turned 5 last month)

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty upset that the rescue tried to hide that from us when we adopted her from them.  
View Quote

Rescues can be hit or miss depending on who's running them and involved with it.  Ours was up front about everything (heartworm positive which we knew from the get-go) and we had 30 days to decide if we wanted to keep her.

I suspect with the economy hosed, there's going to be a lot of dogs available from people who couldn't afford them any more.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Rescues can be hit or miss depending on who's running them and involved with it.  Ours was up front about everything (heartworm positive which we knew from the get-go) and we had 30 days to decide if we wanted to keep her.

I suspect with the economy hosed, there's going to be a lot of dogs available from people who couldn't afford them any more.  
View Quote

Yea, we got both dogs from the same rescue.  Awesome experience with the first dog, horrible experience with the second.  I think the second time around they had too many dogs and were just trying to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
In for more GSD pics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 4:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Ours was abandoned on our road a couple of years ago, along with a brown lab mix.  We took the GSD mix, neighbor took the lab mix.  Not sure who dumped him or why, but the GSD is the Best Dog Ever, and has become a wonderful addition to our family.  He hovers over our young girls like he knows it is his job.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In for more GSD pics.
View Quote

Here you go. Dakota, female, around 3 years old (we guess). Tends to walk around everywhere carrying a toy-- including going outside for business. She has a big stuffed lamb that occasionally makes the trip outside for some reason. House sometimes looks like a muppet massacre. She's starting to get territorial with the house/yard and warns if someone she doesn't recognize shows up.

Her Hotness was a little leery about getting a GSD since she apparently had a run-in with one as a little girl, but I'm not the one buying all the toys and treats.

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Here you go. Dakota, female, around 3 years old (we guess). Tends to walk around everywhere carrying a toy-- including going outside for business. She has a big stuffed lamb that occasionally makes the trip outside for some reason. House sometimes looks like a muppet massacre. She's starting to get territorial with the house/yard and warns if someone she doesn't recognize shows up.

Her Hotness was a little leery about getting a GSD since she apparently had a run-in with one as a little girl, but I'm not the one buying all the toys and treats.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106650/Attach0-1354351.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106650/20200402_082215-1354350.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106650/20200402_074304-1354349.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106650/20200214_110120-1354348.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106650/20200125_200353-1354347.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Our two:

Link Posted: 4/6/2020 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
My girls grew up with black lab that was surplus sheriff department equipment purchased at auction...apparently the drug dog didn't feel like sniffing for drugs anymore. Best dog we've ever had, but I think this GSD is going to end up in the running.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We are looking at doing the same in Virginia in about 4 weeks.  When the chemotherapy is over.  I cannot wait!!!!
View Quote

We adopted two from Virginia German Shepherd Rescue and were pleased with both.  They are up front if a dog has issues and will work to make sure a dog is a good fit.  https://www.vgsr.org/
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Since the day I was born there has been a GSD in my life, they are very smart, very loyal dogs  This is our current boy Sig, he's 130lbs of Germanic fluff. We adopted him from a lady who didn't have the time or space for him 7 years ago.  

He knows his commands in German (I taught him), he is never more than a few steps behind you, if we take him into town and bring him into pet friendly stores, he's the most well manered dog, little kids love to come and pet him and give him love and he loves every second of it, but if someone was  to break into my house he will make them regret their decisions.

Now for pics

Out helping me arround the ranch

Watering birds in a snow storm

Oh and he thinks he's a lap dog
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I've had GSDs most of my adult life.  I love the breed and the dogs.  All have been rescues or given to me except the first one.  Maybe I've been lucky.  Some have had issues but nothing that couldn't be worked through or compensated for.  They are family oriented and if you are their people they would die for you.  
These are my boys, Odie and Cooper.  Odie came from a GSD/Pit Bull specific rescue.  Cooper from a neighbor that was looking to put him down because he was "too big" and had been re-homed too many times.  Both are great buddys that make me smile every day.

Attachment Attached File

Odie
Attachment Attached File

Cooper
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I bough a 8 week old GSD from a great breeder in Dry Ridge, KY.  They are traditional (flat back) large dogs with papers...$500.00, fifty bucks off with my referral.  She’s been a really great family dog as they are low/medium drive, follows my four kids everywhere.  Message for info.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Ask if parents were hip & elbow tested, worth considering.
Link to GSD pups in PA, puppyfind:
https://www.puppyfind.com/for_sale/?breed_id=54&order_by=rand&back=%2Fsearch%2F%3Fsubmit%3D1%26str%3DGerman%2BShepherd%2BDog%26page%3D1&sid=53bnl7hs6uudt9o39s2ih342i3&country=248&state=PA

My GSD, he turns 2 this month.
(totally not spoiled)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:31:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I have some GSD/Mal pups, both parents are AKC dogs but in OK.  The parents are my farm dogs that have 45 acres to patrol.  I have been exercising and socializing daily.  They mostly lean Mal energy.  I let my dogs bread to add two to my pack.  Probably better person protection but have no problems with my Mal at all.  He just revs real high.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 1:20:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cooper from a neighbor that was looking to put him down because he was "too big" and had been re-homed too many times.
View Quote

Jesus...I grew up on a farm and have had to put down animals. All for sound reasons. But for being "too big" and re-homed too many times. No sure those folks should have animals.

Good on you for saving that dog. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Short answer, you don't.  

A well bred and health tested dog is going to be expensive.  Good food for it is going to be expensive.  Professional training is going to be expensive.

If you can't afford it, save til you can.  No such thing as a good deal on the wrong dog, and most rescue dogs are rescues for a reason.  Sorry, I know that's going to rustle a lot of jimmies, but you don't want 80+lbs of someone else's mistakes in genetics or training around your family.  

There are too many very good gsd breeders out there to play into the "rescue dogs are best dogs" bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#24]
What  do you consider expensive?
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What  do you consider expensive?
View Quote

Perspective: the initial cost of the pup, even if you spend 2k for it, kind of pales to the total cost of food, flea & tick and vet expenses for the next decade.

My GSD (pictured in initial reply) came from a backyard breeder I found on puppy find. He was $800 two years ago, but I would not have been adverse to spending 2k.
Most all GSD breeders I found pictured the dogs standing with their back sloped, it was just a turn off for me. If it wasn't the sloped back stance it was dogs kept in kennels.
I found a breeder with pics of the parent dogs in their home and car not a kennel. My GSD did not have parents that were hip & elbow tested and I hope it's not an issue in the future.

Anyway, although expensive is subjective, I'd encourage you to spend a little extra up front (if needed) to get the "right" dog for you. A few hundred dollars difference for the pup up front will be insignificant compared to long term ownership cost.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top