[#1]
Maverick was a great film.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked it but it felt like Lockheed commercial in many parts
View Quote

When the Darkstar broke up I was half expecting a little logo in the corner.

"This part of the movie was brought to you by Lockheed-Martin. We never forget who we work for."
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
2nd best movie since COVID.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It has grossed 1.5 billion dollars.

How much have you made out of your home movies OP ?
View Quote

How much has Taylor Swift made? You seriously bringing up the gross dollars=quality argument? Seriously?

And simply being non woke doesn’t mean a movie is great. It’s great to see when it happens, but a non woke movie can still simply be a bad movie. OP is right on this one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The first one sucked too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I think a big reason it was so well received is that audiences have been watching their beloved franchises be slaughtered over the past few years, and to have something that bucks that trend, even if it's kinda meh, is refreshing to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
It was a movie and it was entertaining.  And I'd say they did a good job for a sequel made so long after the original considering most sequels are a let down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think that is Cruise’s own P51.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know, it’s a movie.

But

WTF?

1. Navy Capt has his own P51? What did he do? Bitcoin at $1?

2. The mission itself is totally Luke and the Death Star.

3. Probably the most famous pilot in the Navy and the youngsters don’t know who he is when they throw him out of the bar.

4. Plane jacking the old Tomcat? LOFL.

5. Myles Teller needs more acting lessons.

Overall I can give only one thumb up and a solid meh.

View Quote

The tomcat scene was totally too convenient but at the same sime it was epic! It merged the 2 movies together and with mavericks experience in that plane made it a far fetched scenario that he could dogfight his way out of there
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I know, it’s a movie.

But

WTF?

3. Probably the most famous pilot in the Navy and the youngsters don’t know who he is when they throw him out of the bar.

View Quote

Completely agree with OP.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think a big reason it was so well received is that audiences have been watching their beloved franchises be slaughtered over the past few years, and to have something that bucks that trend, even if it's kinda meh, is refreshing to a lot of people.
View Quote

One of the most solid and spot-on replies to OP.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The tomcat scene was totally too convenient but at the same sime it was epic! It merged the 2 movies together and with mavericks experience in that plane made it a far fetched scenario that he could dogfight his way out of there
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, it’s a movie.

But

WTF?

And this.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn near every movie that does the “gotta hit this target in well defended zone” is a version of the Death Star trench run.  So is this one.  It’s completely silly and still I enjoyed watching it.  

I agree however.  Standing alone as a movie.  Its good but not GREAT bu any means.  However obviously people liked watching it because the thing is a juggernaut of earnings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
How Top Gun Maverick Should Have Ended

I really like the design of the angel wings. Probably easier to draw than feathery wings to boot.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, I watched it for the first time this past weekend. I thought it started out somewhat corny and reminiscent of the corniness of the original Top Gun.

However, I will say it aged well and got better as the the movie progressed. While there were a few parts that pushed my "suspension of disbelief" quotient - especially some of the aeronautical feats and cockpit activities - I will say that it was a overall pretty decent movie to watch.

I paid $6 on Prime video to watch it but I wouldn't have paid anymore than that.  Good but not great.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought it sucked, it was a complete rip off of the first one, and the acting was bad. Apparently I (we) are in the minority, which shows how retarded the World has become.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
GD: Make us non-woke movies where America kicks ass and takes names!
Tom Cruise: Ok, here ya' go
GD: bUt iTs NoT rEaLiStIc EnOuGh

I swear to fucking god some of you have to be the most miserable fucking people on the face of the Earth
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The first one sucked too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't think the film was all that great either but I think the filmmakers were going for maximum fun factor here. Unrealistic to steal the F14? Sure, but I know why they wrote that in, so we could see Maverick in an F14. I'm willing to forgive filmmakers for things like this because they're producing an entertainment product, not a documentary.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd agree with that also.  People wanted a feel good, positive flashback to the original that they enjoyed so many years ago.  When I saw it at the theater, there were people that actually cheered when the original Top Gun music first started playing.

I'll also say I think that the clip of Tom Crusie talking to the audience before the movie started was cool too.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn near every movie that does the “gotta hit this target in well defended zone” is a version of the Death Star trench run.  So is this one.  It’s completely silly and still I enjoyed watching it.  

I agree however.  Standing alone as a movie.  Its good but not GREAT bu any means.  However obviously people liked watching it because the thing is a juggernaut of earnings.
View Quote

Even the Death Star trench run concept was borrowed from a previous movie, which borrowed it from another movie previous to it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Even the Death Star trench run concept was borrowed from a previous movie, which borrowed it from another movie previous to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because guess what! If you have something that you know an enemy wants to blow up, it behooves you to defend it.

People will be making movies about attacking well defended targets, probably as long as movies are made. It makes for an exciting sequence of events.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
If only we could just enjoy an awesome movie that doesn't socially wreck everything.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#25]
ghey
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Well in all honesty the original wasn't a great movie either. But it was and still is a lot of fun and it's a classic from a time when most movies were fun. We'll almost never see 80's style action or comedy movies again.

I thought TG:M did a great job carrying on the spirit of the original.  Realistic? Nope. Who cares? Pass the popcorn and enjoy the show.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If only we could just enjoy an awesome movie that doesn't socially wreck everything.
View Quote

Curmudgeons gonna curmudgeon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol.  Did you even see it in the fucking theater brooooo?  If not you don't get it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#29]
It was a fun blockbuster movie, must see in the theater. I know I won’t enjoy it nearly as much at home.

It isn’t The Godfather or Citizen Kane but I loved it, it hit all the points it should have. It is great for what it is.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it just for the flying and Jennifer Gardner.

Compared to most shit today it was good. Jennifer Gardner pushed it in to great.

Navy pilot should have had a F4 or F6. But I guess they couldn't find a two seat version for Jennifer Gardner to ride in.

View Quote

We must have watched different movies, cuz she wasn't in it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sounds like Bros would be more up OP’s alley.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

GD gotta be GD.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#34]
I liked it but it wasn't really a "movie".

It was a Boomer memory lane movie to feel nostalgic.

But they hit it out of the park for a movie in that category.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
More than anything what I was wondering, how the hell Tom Cruise still a captain and still in the Navy like 30 fucking years later?  The excuse in the movie is Maverick's been a bad boy, but like, seriously?

Meh, whatever.  Enjoy it for what it is, a fun movie to watch.
View Quote

Isn't a captain in the navy the equivalent of a Colonel in the Army?  The squids have funny ranks, it always used to confuse me when I saw them overseas.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I liked it but it wasn't really a "movie".

It was a Boomer memory lane movie to feel nostalgic.

But they hit it out of the park for a movie in that category.
View Quote

It was totally more Gen-X, dude.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Isn't a captain in the navy the equivalent of a Colonel in the Army?  The squids have funny ranks, it always used to confuse me when I saw them overseas.
View Quote

Be me- walking with another HM1(E-6) at Camp Geiger, Camp Lejeune.
A bunch of "new" Marines are in the field at the School of Infantry digging fighting holes.
Overhear the following conversation.
Marine 1- "Who are those guys?"
Marine 2 - "They are Navy Corpsman."
Marine 1 - "What rank are they?"
Marine 2 - "I dunno, but I think they are Petty Officers."
Marine 1 - "So that means we have to salute them, right?"
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.redd.it/tgi2mw4cdze11.png

A bunch of "new" Marines are in the field at the School of Infantry digging fighting holes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.redd.it/tgi2mw4cdze11.png

But did you drink the water?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:50:44 PM EDT
[#39]
A Navy Captain is the rank equivalent of a full bird Colonel.

That plus continuous hazardous duty pay since before 1986, im sure a fella could scrape together enough coin for a P-51.

Especially if he wrenched on it himself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I have some bad news for those complaining about the "realism" of Top Gun II.

The following movies were not realistic either:

Harry Potter
Stars Wars
Back to the Future
Men in Black
Event Horizon (A perennial GD favorite)
Mission Impossible

I'm sorry to break it to you but some movies are just an escape from reality for a while to see some fun stuff on the big screen.  

And for those of you furiously pounding out a response to the effect of, "aLL tHoSe mOvieS SuCK aNd uR a TarD LoL".  They may suck but they all have one thing in common, they are MOVIES, they weren't made to be realistic but just to entertain.  

A lot of you are wrapped way too tightly and seem miserable.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the reminder to watch
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:01:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have some bad news for those complaining about the "realism" of Top Gun II.

The following movies were not realistic either:

Harry Potter
Stars Wars
Back to the Future
Men in Black
Event Horizon (A perennial GD favorite)
Mission Impossible

View Quote

You hope.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I enjoyed it just for the flying and Jennifer Gardner.

Compared to most shit today it was good. Jennifer Gardner pushed it in to great.

Navy pilot should have had a F4 or F6. But I guess they couldn't find a two seat version for Jennifer Gardner to ride in.
View Quote

You mean Jennifer Anniston?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:23:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Woke enough that even spectacle wearing simps can be fighter jockeys.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:44:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Woke enough that even spectacle wearing simps can be fighter jockeys.

https://s3.birthmoviesdeath.com/images/made/Maverick-4_1200_1801_s.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:46:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Fun movie, but not a "good" movie. 80s nostalgia and the fact that it has minimal wokeness are the only reasons people like it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#47]
First they bastardized the Maverick car by naming a truck after it.
Now they bastardized James Garner?

Is there any originality left in this world?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
1. It wasn't woke

2. It was true to the original and to the characters

3. It was entertaining enough and had enough realism for me to give the fake stuff a pass

4. Made the US Military look cool

5. It wasn't woke

ETA

6. Jennifer Connelly
View Quote

Pretty much this.  Fun enough to get a pass on the stretched stuff.  I was even able to stop hearing "batshit insane" for some of the time Cruise was on the screen.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Crazy overrated and cheesy. And they did do a Star Wars.

Pitch meeting did a hilarious vid on it:
Top Gun: Maverick Pitch Meeting
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:02:24 AM EDT
[#50]
My biggest gripes were the tomahawks blasting past the formation, and the fact that no effort was made to take out the air-defense systems.  Other than that, its a really fun movie.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top