Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2020 2:23:17 PM EDT
Made it to the final interview for a local Sheriff's Dept. for a deputy position.  My understanding thus far is that the nature of these interviews varies greatly so dress nice and be ready for anything.  In the mean time research everything about the county and department I can.

Any advice beyond that?

This is the final stage in their process aside from a medical and psych eval.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Be sure not to tell them the real reason you want the job (Like good pay and security). You have to bullshit them and tell them you care and want to help people
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Power (boring) tie, White shirt, and a suit as close to the color of their uniforms as possible.  Make sure it is all pressed and pleated and make sure you shoes are clean and shined.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Power (boring) tie, White shirt, and a suit as close to the color of their uniforms as possible.  Make sure it is all pressed and pleated and make sure you shoes are clean and shined.
View Quote
Fresh haircut, trimmed nails.  Also consider this may have a non LE reviewer, perhaps a SJW CRB member, and a HR person asking you some off the wall bullshit.  Don't get tripped up.

Know the actual Sheriff's politics, while also considering they may not be the same as the staff in front of you.  Gotta have a neutral balance.

Have them repeat the question, especially if it sounds like bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Good for you ! I remember your earlier posts on WI LEO job search.  Be able to carry on a conversation about yourself, goals etc.  Keep it simple.  As a sheriff, he will probably do most of the talking!!!  Which county???
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good for you ! I remember your earlier posts on WI LEO job search.  Be able to carry on a conversation about yourself, goals etc.  Keep it simple.  As a sheriff, he will probably do most of the talking!!!  Which county???
View Quote
OP may not even meet the Sheriff. Very unlikely unless a small department.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The email states it is with the Sheriff and admin staff fwiw.  It is one of the bigger departments though so we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Do they look at your social media? Will they see your Mr. Towely who has gotten high with bloodshot eyes?
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do they look at your social media? Will they see your Mr. Towely who has gotten high with bloodshot eyes?
View Quote
Background is complete so at this point that's likely all been and done.  Didn't ask anything social media wise during the background interview, just personal references and and employment history.

Ironically enough I've never even touched a pot needle.  Don't mind the bloodshot eyes, he's just tired.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good luck buddy, I hope you get it.

Patrol or jail?
View Quote
Patrol
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
In for a follow up to see what they ask and how it goes...
I've always been interested in LE, but never knew much about it.

Did you have to get POST certified or will they send you for that IF hired?

What are your qualifications?

Good luck!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In for a follow up to see what they ask and how it goes...
I've always been interested in LE, but never knew much about it.

Did you have to get POST certified or will they send you for that IF hired?

What are your qualifications?

Good luck!!!
View Quote
The process varies from state to state so you will have to check with the state you're applying in.  Some states require departments to sponsor their candidates through an academy and don't even allow people to self sponsor.  In other words, they HAVE to send you to an academy but you cannot choose to get certified ahead of time to make yourself more attractive.

In Wisconsin they can choose to sponsor but are not required to.  This department does sponsor new hires.  Oddly enough I'm scheduled to start at a local academy(self sponsored) that will graduate right around the time the academy they would send me to starts.  I'll be 1/4 of the way through the academy by the time I complete the psych and medical so I'm not sure exactly how they are going to handle that.

I've got experience as an EMT, correctional officer, and military(USMC) but my work history is all over the board so that experience comes with a caveat.  These days more than ever a clean(ish) record and ability to communicate and interview well count more than ever.  Sure there are a lot of departments that put a ton of weight into experience in related fields but that's not always the case.  As long as you can interview well, haven't made any horrible decision in your past, and can articulate why you want to be and would be a good LEO there's bound to be a spot for you.

Some good advice is to apply any and everywhere but pick your top 3-5 departments and research them heavily.  I applied for every opening in the state that I saw didn't require you to be certified and did a quick search on all of them but the departments I really wanted to get on a dug a lot deeper.

Don't get discouraged either, some departments are looking for specific things you aren't going to have.  This department is one of the first one's I interviewed for.  The other two I interviewed for that week didn't go any further than the first interview.

Also make sure you do some volunteer work...  they love asking about that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Dont do it.

Law Enforcement is not what it used to be.

Find a better career.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dont do it.

Law Enforcement is not what it used to be.

Find a better career.
View Quote
I'm too old and fat to do it now, but I'm just really interested in how it works.

I say I'm too old and fat, but if you look at my towns local sheriffs dept dept, I don't think there is a single one that could pass any sort of fitness test.
Not trying to knock them though, from what I have seen, heard and experienced they are all a good group of folks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Well hopefully you won't have any contracts put out on you this time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Good luck man. I just passed my oral, psych, and medical. Waiting to hear back with an offer hopefully.

I studied hard core for the oral using earnyourbadge.com.  After I answered their first question, their eyes lit up, said "you studied didn't you" then sent me on my way with a pass right then and there. Best advice ever from arfcom
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it was good experience at least...

Just heard today it's a no-go.  Still on the list but they start a new hiring cycle as soon as the current list is finalized so the lists get retired very quickly.

Started the academy today though and from what I know most recruits either have an offer in hand when they graduate or are well on their way through the hiring process of the department they end up getting hired on.  Going more than 6 months past graduation date without an offer is very rare.  So in due time I'll find my place.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well it was good experience at least...

Just heard today it's a no-go.  Still on the list but they start a new hiring cycle as soon as the current list is finalized so the lists get retired very quickly.

Started the academy today though and from what I know most recruits either have an offer in hand when they graduate or are well on their way through the hiring process of the department they end up getting hired on.  Going more than 6 months past graduation date without an offer is very rare.  So in due time I'll find my place.
View Quote
Sounds like you didn't let it get you down...which is good.  Sometimes you don't get picked the first time around.  Just the way it is.  It's happened to me too.  I still ended up where I wanted to be.  It just took me another year and a half to get there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top