Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2021 12:21:17 PM EDT
I am one of those die hards that still own and use a 35mm (Nikon F2).  I have been sending my film out for processing, but have recently started developing my own film ( I worked in photo labs for over 14 years back in the 80's). So now the problem is having them printed, the closest "wet lab" is over 400 miles away.

My question is on film scanners, and I've been looking at this one-

Plustek scanner

Has anyone used one?  Or is there a better one out there?
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo bought in the early 2000s.  She's still scannin'.  Medium Format.  35mm positives or negatives.  Rarely color.  Ilford HP5+, FP4+, and Tri-X.  Am like you, will eventually need a new scanner.  It will be compatibility with my computer OS that puts the Epson out to pasture.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered the scanner, it should be here Saturday.  I will post a review soon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the 8200i. I really enjoy using it.
nice and crisp scans, good color.  B&W comes out awesome.

sample scan taken with an Olympus Stylus 120, Tri-X, HC110 (B)
Saturn 5 F1 Engines by Chris B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
This is precisely the post I was going to make here.

I need a scanner that can handle negatives and slides.
35mm and 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" medium format from my Hasselblad. If it can handle 4" x 5" too, even better.
My budget would be $750-$1000.
Leaning towards flatbeds, but will consider others.
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the scanner set up and did some initial test scans... all seems good to go.  I'll have some prints made of the scans by tomorrow and see how they come out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I believe we have a winner!  I scanned some sample negs, normal / over exposed / under exposed and the results were great.  I used the multiple exposure setting on dark images and scanned all at 4000dpi.

Back from Walgreens and the scanned images were actually better than the original prints from the lab. $399 delivered and it will pay for itself quickly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am one of those die hards that still own and use a 35mm (Nikon F2).  I have been sending my film out for processing, but have recently started developing my own film ( I worked in photo labs for over 14 years back in the 80's). So now the problem is having them printed, the closest "wet lab" is over 400 miles away.

My question is on film scanners, and I've been looking at this one-

Plustek scanner

Has anyone used one?  Or is there a better one out there?
View Quote

I have one. It works fine.
The software provided with it is total crap though, and to get its full functionality you have to buy the full version (which is still crap).

I suggest getting VueScan (https://www.hamrick.com), it is much better software.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suggest getting VueScan (https://www.hamrick.com), it is much better software.
View Quote

I've been using VueScan since 2002.  It works for me, and he updates it so frequently, that I get tired of downloading all the updates.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have one. It works fine.
The software provided with it is total crap though, and to get its full functionality you have to buy the full version (which is still crap).

View Quote

I haven't had any problem with the software, but I only use it to scan and then finish them in Photoshop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top