Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2022 12:32:53 PM EDT
Is there any issue with this? My yard has alot of small holes in it. Garden soil is so much cheaper than top soil. Can I fill holes with it? Below is what I'm looking at using.
This
SKU# 300457596
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
OST.. considering this as well
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I put it on my Garden since my ground is mostly clay.
Don't see why it wouldn't grow grass just fine but I usually get a bulk truck load delivered for stuff like that. Probably lower quality, but still as good or better than my clay.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't see why it wouldn't grow grass just fine but I usually get a bulk truck load delivered for stuff like that. Probably lower quality, but still as good or better than my clay.
View Quote

The issue is I don't need a ton. So 20-30 bags of this is much cheaper for me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of garden soil is loaded with rough tree compost fragments. You can do it but it will take time for it to break down into good soil.

This is the stuff in the sku # you posted. I just put this around some grass plugs last weekendAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Will be fine. Buy quality seed such as Barrenbrug. Top dress lightly with mushroom manure.  Keep watered.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of garden soil is loaded with rough tree compost fragments. You can do it but it will take time for it to break down into good soil.

This is the stuff in the sku # you posted. I just put this around some grass plugs last weekendhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/20220413_125542_jpg-2347711.JPG
View Quote

So would you suggest paying more for lawn soil or would you fill small holes with it? @Banditman
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is the stuff in the sku # you posted. I just put this around some grass plugs last weekendhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/20220413_125542_jpg-2347711.JPG
View Quote

The stuff I bought just looked like dirt, I got it at local hardware store not HD.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:30:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You can probably get a truckload of topsoil for 200bucks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go in with neighbors.  Pay driver a 20 to split the load between yards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Sand is what you want. Soil will compress down again and you’ll have the divot again.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Garden soil will lump up when it's dry. Usually it used in a garden where you till it into the other dirt or work it with some peat moss before filling.

Better off with top soil but if it's sifted make sure you save some to refill after it settles from rain.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Go to a real garden center.
Ones with nurseries and that do their own mulching and composting.

The one here, its like $20 for a half yard of top soil. Fill dirt is $15
$30 for half yard of compost or garden bed blend
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sand.
View Quote
Yep, sand is all you need and will fill the holes much better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
The shredded wood garden soil also tends to float away in a heavy rain.

It might not stay in the low spots.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#17]
It won't work long term.  You'll have to get real dirt\clay and compact and harley rake it to actually fix it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:53:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sand is what you want. Soil will compress down again and you’ll have the divot again.
View Quote

That’s what golf courses use.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Make a mix of 1-part sand and 1-part top soil.

Sand alone won’t be a good place for your grass seeds to take hold.  

The top soil alone will be full of mulch and may float away / wash out with heavy rain.

The sand and topsoil mix will be dense enough to stay put with enough organic material to grow healthy grass.

Disclaimer:  I’ll be trying this experiment later this week when my topsoil is delivered.  Need to get the sand later this morning. Now that I’m typing this out, it may not be 1:1 … I may try 2 or 3 parts dirt to 1 part sand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
1 yard of top soil at my local garden store is $35.  Made two trips last week.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
If you have Bermuda grass use sand. Masonry sand is the best no rocks. The Bermuda will grow in the bare spots. You could add a little topsoil to the top. Topsoil breaks down and you will have another hole if that’s all you use.  If you have Zoysia and centipede pretty much the same.  You will need to fertilize as well.
Please do not listen to those who say to seed your yard. You live in the South and have warm season grass. Lawn Forum Warm Season Grass
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#22]
YouTube algorithm got me the other day - I don’t even have a lawn

HOW TO Level your LAWN FLAT. Topdressing
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I mix up topsoil, sand, and composted cow manure -- all from bags -- in a wheelbarrow and use that.  I screen the manure first to pull out any chunks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3ZSOsllSw
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3ZSOsllSw
View Quote

Thank the Lord that guy is not my neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sand alone won’t be a good place for your grass seeds to take hold.  

The top soil alone will be full of mulch and may float away / wash out with heavy rain.

The sand and topsoil mix will be dense enough to stay put with enough organic material to grow healthy grass.

Disclaimer:  I’ll be trying this experiment later this week when my topsoil is delivered.  Need to get the sand later this morning. Now that I’m typing this out, it may not be 1:1 … I may try 2 or 3 parts dirt to 1 part sand.
View Quote

This is what I always do and it works well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sand alone won't be a good place for your grass seeds to take hold.  

Disclaimer:  I'll be trying this experiment later this week when my topsoil is delivered.  Need to get the sand later this morning. Now that I'm typing this out, it may not be 1:1  I may try 2 or 3 parts dirt to 1 part sand.
View Quote
I mix ~1.5 bags of play sand to 1 bigass bag of potting soil for my leveling mix.  Hard to describe it but I go by the way it looks before tossing it on the lawn, raking out, and using a pushbroom to work it in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:06:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't get any last year but maybe 3 years ago I got 1 yard in my pickup which just about filled the bed, and it was $40.  That was for "the good stuff" which had some fertilizer mixed into it.

Go to wherever people buy bulk mulch.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

$100 delivery fee up to 13 yards and $31 a yard around here

The closest place to me sells it’s for $39 a yard. So when I need small amounts I get a yard at a time. If it’s enough dirt for me to take 4 plus trips I just pay for delivery.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Fills in voids and grass grows back through it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top