Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2020 1:05:31 AM EDT
Long story short, last year I put in an order for a custom Shop Stratocaster.
having never ordered a custom guitar before I thought I was being clear in what I wanted... maple neck and fretboard.
exactly as it came off the line in 1957.

every '50s Strat I have ever seen was a honey tinted, maple neck.

my sales guy emailed me pictures today as my guitar arrived 3 months early and WTF.
The neck is white. White?

seems "I" said "no tint" and so it has a clear nitro lacquer coating.
So my question is, anybody have an idea on how fast modern nitro finishes age and begins to yellow?

I'm angry with myself for not being better educated on what I was ordering but I'm more heartbroken because it's 95% And I want to love it
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Bummer it isn't what you expected.  I bet it wouldn't be that hard to send the neck back and have it tinted.  After all it's a Stratacaster and the neck pops right off.

No idea what the cost but no harm asking.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently read that the nitro that is used today isn't the same as what was used in the 50s and 60s and that it doesn't age as fast or as dark as the original nitro did. What I read said Fender has an aging toner that they can put on the neck before spraying the nitro to get that honey/amber look.

I have no personal experience, just something I read recently while shopping for a new guitar. I'm sure someone here has some real world experience and will chime in.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently read that the nitro that is used today isn't the same as what was used in the 50s and 60s and that it doesn't age as fast or as dark as the original nitro did. What I read said Fender has an aging toner that they can put on the neck before spraying the nitro to get that honey/amber look.

I have no personal experience, just something I read recently while shopping for a new guitar. I'm sure someone here has some real world experience and will chime in.
View Quote
That's along the lines of what I've read too but I could have sworn I saw somewhere that it just slows down the process a little.

I've talked to the salesman again and he said it's yellower then the first photos due to studio lighting used to photograph it.
so maybe it's just a lighter yellow?
ill know more this afternoon.

eta: and he is going to see if Fender will swap the neck for a tinted one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
A whole lotta UV radiation is what you seek.

Playing in smoky bars only adds to the effect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A whole lotta UV radiation is what you seek.

Playing in smoky bars only adds to the effect.
View Quote
One of the things I read said that a lot of the aging on the vintage guitars came from years of being played in smoke filled bars and concert halls.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys.

I haven't seen it yet but it seems the first set of photos were taken under bright LED lights and made it look lighter then it is.
The sales guy said he went and looked at it and while its not the "vintage yellow" its not white either.. more like a light yellow(ish).
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Get them to replace it with a tinted neck.  It is no skin off their nose and they have dozens of necks on the line ready to go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Worst case scenario, go to Reranch and get a can of tinted nitro and do it yourself.  Partscasters are so easy, you'll never buy a factory guitar again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Figured this thread is worthless without pics.

I appreciate the suggestions of replacing the neck or doing it myself. If it were an American standard or Mexican I would.
This neck is hand lapped to the exact feel of a 56 and 1/2.
I'm not gonna mess with it too much.
here's a photo that's had most of the white light filter that's supposedly a much better representation of how it looks to the eye. (The neck the color red is a little too dark).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#10]
That's nice! As much as I like the vintage tint on the necks, I'd have no problem playing the hell out of that and letting it age naturally.

Edited to add...It might not be the vintage tint color, but I think nitro must give them a little bit darker tint than the poly does.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's nice! As much as I like the vintage tint on the necks, I'd have no problem playing the hell out of that and letting it age naturally.

Edited to add...It might not be the vintage tint color, but I think nitro must give them a little bit darker tint than the poly does.
View Quote
Yeah. It seems to be a little darker then the first photos I saw and it is nitro so hopefully it's 1: yellow and 2: darkens fairly quick.

At first it looked like a poly coat  - let me grab on of the first photos they sent.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's one of the first photos they sent me and what caused my heartburn

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! I'd just roll with it. It's a beautiful guitar and it'll start to yellow before you know it. Heck, the binding on my Epiphone Les Paul, which was made in Korea so it has a poly finish, started yellowing a bit about 3 years after I had it. Nothing drastic, but more than you'd think something with a poly finish would.

So, I'd keep it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothing like a red Stratacaster,  I like your style.  This one I bought years ago.  At first I hated the sound.  Changed the PUPs for the 69 Custom Shop Abigail wound set and Shazam.  it IS the pinnacle of Strats for me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice! I'd just roll with it. It's a beautiful guitar and it'll start to yellow before you know it. Heck, the binding on my Epiphone Les Paul, which was made in Korea so it has a poly finish, started yellowing a bit about 3 years after I had it. Nothing drastic, but more than you'd think something with a poly finish would.

So, I'd keep it.
View Quote
Agreed. I know it's not my guitar and I understand that a Custom Shop should be exactly what you want, hence paying the premium to go that route... but I think it looks great. My first guitar ever was a red Squire, so red Strats hold a special place in my heart.

Looks like you ordered it through SW... how long did it take from order submitted until it was done?
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Agreed. I know it's not my guitar and I understand that a Custom Shop should be exactly what you want, hence paying the premium to go that route... but I think it looks great. My first guitar ever was a red Squire, so red Strats hold a special place in my heart.

Looks like you ordered it through SW... how long did it take from order submitted until it was done?
View Quote
This is what I was going for. This is my 57 vintage reissue that was stolen.
I wouldn't be worried as much but the part of the story I left out was.. this is supposed to be a replica of David Gilmour's red strat.

Attachment Attached File

I had one but it was stolen so after a go around with Cancer my wife wanted me to order another one because that one was so special to me.

they are installing my EMG pickups and then shipping it out.

From time placing the order, till getting the photos was 5 months or so.
Im thinking we put the final order in, in late August or early September.
now, I didn't specify a certain builder or anything like that. But the guys at Sweetwater we're great. I worked with my main guy and another when putting the order in.
they were happy that I didn't relic it. Seems every one relics them and They rarely see a prestine one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Forgot to mention those are some sexy strats in the pics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One of the things I read said that a lot of the aging on the vintage guitars came from years of being played in smoke filled bars and concert halls.
View Quote
I remember reading, years ago in some guitar rag; the guitarist from Kix would buy cartons of cigarettes for the sole purpose of smokig his guitars in a shed.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I hear the darker tinted necks sound better than the lighter ones.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#20]
my plan is to wait until its here and see how it looks.
If it's not what I'm looking for my plan is to contact the custom shop and see what options I may have.

IF its close (as in yellow(ish) but not dark enough.. I'll just leave it and let it darken nationally.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
You're probably thinking of baked maple vs regular maple. The biggest thing baked maple does, besides good looks, is make the neck more stable due to it being more rigid.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're probably thinking of baked maple vs regular maple. The biggest thing baked maple does, besides good looks, is make the neck more stable due to ot being more rigid.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're probably thinking of baked maple vs regular maple. The biggest thing baked maple does, besides good looks, is make the neck more stable due to ot being more rigid.
Is there really a sonic difference with the roasted necks?

I'm considering one for a Tele that I'm going to have them build...
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a 52 reissue Telly. The neck was pretty light 10 years ago. Now it
Is getting pretty dark and look kool next to the butterscotch.  I have played it in bars but ya can’t smoke there any more. I think mine got dark in the sun coming thru my windows as it sits on a stand between gigs, next to my chair. It looks awsome.

Oh, I gotta mention, I’ve seen a lot of Fenders in the music stores with really pale necks over the years. But I haven’t seen any with “white” necks that have been used a few years. I think they just darken or yellow rather quickly. Not to worry.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not that I know of. Like I said it just makes the neck more stable and gives it a different look.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Since we're posting red strats....here's one that's about 30 years old, and was a clear nitro when new, I lightly sanded and re-stained with a bit of amber/darker wood tone around '93. It's aged a bit and is showing as a darker yellow (especially the back of the neck). Goes nice with the aged plastics and controls (which don't show it in this pic, but are getting really yellow).

Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Waiting for pics (not the SW pic) of OP's guitar.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I put a new Fender 2015 neck on my 80 precision.  You should find it ages rapidly at first, color-wise, then slows down.

Just don't leave it in the case, but on a stand or hanger.  Let it absorb all the natural, sunlight that it can.

A guitar that comes from the factory aged, or relic'd, hasn't earned its stripes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#28]
OP the new Fender American Ultra series have a faux aged neck.  Personally, I don't care for this, give me new wood look and let it age naturally.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#29]
After several shipping delays it finally arrived the other day but I've been busy with work.
It doesn't look bad but lighter then I wanted.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think it looks bad with that candy red paint, but I understand the frustration of not getting it exactly the way you wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't think it looks bad with that candy red paint, but I understand the frustration of not getting it exactly the way you wanted it.
View Quote
Yeah. Overall I'm very happy with it.

spec for spec it's an "early" 1957. So it's got the smaller fret board radius with no string tree.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree with the shop guys.  I'm glad to see a custom shop guitar that didn't involve a grinder after painting.  Beautiful guitar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I agree with the shop guys.  I'm glad to see a custom shop guitar that didn't involve a grinder after painting.  Beautiful guitar.
View Quote
Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's one of the first photos they sent me and what caused my heartburn

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313055/8A110616-2449-4FBC-9F30-867F5EEB74BA_jpe-1276502.JPG
View Quote
That's beautiful, man.  I used to have a mid-90's made-in-Japan Strat that looked exactly like that, that is basically what I learned on thru high school and college.  I stupidly sold it for almost nothing when times were tough.  I've regretted it ever since.  I did, however, get a Baja Tele last week that I'm really loving that is making up for it:

Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like how the finish would have been, straight off the line in  the '50s.

I love the pre-CBS Strat look, so I bought a Classic Player 60s Lacquer Strat, which approximates finding a NOS Strat that's sat in the closet for 60 years. I love the tint on the neck.

As an aside, it's hard for me to ever imagine buying a non-lacquer finish guitar or bass again. I love seeing the wear, scratches, and dents that are showing up from honest wear.

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After several shipping delays it finally arrived the other day but I've been busy with work.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_0100_jpeg-1292183.JPG
View Quote
Looks good to me... for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Looks good to me... for what that's worth.
View Quote
Thanks,

Its starting to grow on me.. I think it will be interesting to see how it ages naturally.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313055/IMG_0100_jpeg-1292183.JPG
View Quote
Looks good to me. With those PU's it looks a LOT like the Strat Plus I used to have in the 90's. Neck was about that color, too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top