Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2022 11:18:28 AM EDT
Down 22% so far today. 4a2b imminent and furloughs likely in the future.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
In before FedEx is nationalized....to save our democracyTM
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Too big to fail?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Fed Ex CEO just in the last few days declared a recession and they laid off 1000's. I'm inclined to believe him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]
FedEx is fucked. Way to much volume goes by air that should be ground. New CEO has no familial attachment to the airline like Fred did. You'll see more and more volume switched to ground. Expect 4a2b to be implemented for the airline and accelerated aircraft retirements.

FedEx must make peace with their pissed off ground contractors and the new Teamsters president has his sights on organizing FedEx once the UPS contract is finished.

FedEx needs a seamless delivery system like UPS has.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Down 22% so far today. 4a2b imminent and furloughs likely in the future.
View Quote
My entire watch list is in the red, 3% down or more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My entire watch list is in the red, 3% down or more.

View Quote

FedEx is down way more than 3%.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe they could try not sucking so bad at ground delivery.  Their service has gone down in quality year after year.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
what is 4a2b?
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Bezos gonna buy up FedEx and turn Memphis into Paris on the Mississippi.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
what is 4a2b?
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bezos gonna buy up FedEx and turn Memphis into Paris on the Mississippi.  
View Quote

They already have a pyramid like in France!

Link Posted: 9/16/2022 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what is 4a2b?
View Quote

It's a provision in the pilot contract were in lieu of furloughing pilots, the company constructs schedules that pay less for the same amount of work. Basically, taking a pay cut to keep from furloughing pilots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]
the two companies with the same name and service has got to be killing them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
the company constructs schedules that pay less for the same amount of work.
View Quote

Reducing BLG doesn't mean "pay less for the same amount of work".
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's a provision in the pilot contract were in lieu of furloughing pilots, the company constructs schedules that pay less for the same amount of work. Basically, taking a pay cut to keep from furloughing pilots.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what is 4a2b?

Huh, that’s a hell of a lot nicer.  Usually, the airlines just eat their young.  

But you said, Furloughs in addition to that too?   Not good.   Prayers out for the Jr. guys.  Btdt. Not fun.  Still have a touch of ptsd.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Huh, that’s a hell of a lot nicer.  Usually, the airlines just eat their young.  

But you said, Furloughs in addition to that too?   Not good.   Prayers out for the Jr. guys.  Btdt. Not fun.  Still have a touch of ptsd.  
View Quote

The company hasn't said anything about either 4.a.2.b. or furloughs, no.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
The service has been garbage since I moved. Ground might as well be a guy driving down the street throwing packages out the window. Express is much better.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]
FedEx Ground is an absolute disaster. Packages constantly being beat to shit. Short of help because everyone else either pays the same or more for less work and stress. Beater contractor trucks unlike UPS, basically ex rental trucks pressed into service and not set up for running packages.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
This must be a regional problem. I continue to get stellar service from Brown, Blue and White, both ground and express.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FedEx Ground is an absolute disaster. Packages constantly being beat to shit. Short of help because everyone else either pays the same or more for less work and stress. Beater contractor trucks unlike UPS, basically ex rental trucks pressed into service and not set up for running packages.
View Quote

When I flew for AMF on the UPS Feeder side, we unloaded into U-Haul and other rental trucks fairly regularly.  However, after I posted this, I remembered that these trucks were used more for getting the overnight packages to the sort facilities.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed, FedEx sucks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When I flew for AMF on the UPS Feeder side, we unloaded into U-Haul and other rental trucks fairly regularly.  However, after I posted this, I remembered that these trucks were used more for getting the overnight packages to the sort facilities.
https://i.postimg.cc/pL3ZmxfP/IMG-05-XX-67.jpg
View Quote

SBP?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

SBP?
View Quote

Sure enough!
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/pL3ZmxfP/IMG-05-XX-67.jpg
View Quote

There was an AMF Metro that crashed with a load of dogs, ex-DHL. Loaded many a box on that aircraft. All made it out safe.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There was an AMF Metro that crashed with a load of dogs, ex-DHL. Loaded many a box on that aircraft. All made it out safe.
View Quote

Yeah I used to fly charters, some in that tail #, and I know both the pilots.  I’m refraining from commenting on that event though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Took a trip in the car recently.   Saw very few FedEx trucks.  Saw a ton of Amazon trucks.  I presume Amazon is now disrupting the shipping industry in the same way it did the retail industry.  Wish I'd have thought this through before buying FedEx last year.  What I read in the WSJ suggests that investors have cooled on FedEx mostly because of its dim future growth outlook.

Maybe the silver lining will be that FedEx is a take-over target for Amazon.  Whatever, I'm on the dark side of this trade for now!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#27]
My Rep told me things re going to get lean in 2023 when I talked with her back in September. Layoffs , planes being taken out of service , new fees for rural areas , and some routes being minimized.

Fun
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:52:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Mail being pulled from planes won't help either.
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]
There is an equal parts chance that things are actually substantially worse than Raj is making it out to be, or that things are substantially better but they're making it look bad for any one of a couple of corporate agendas.

Either way, it isn't Amazon that's causing headwinds for the company -- it is self-induced decisions combined with a zombie economy that is already dead but still walking and talking as if it were a normal human. UPS isn't reporting the same doom and gloom.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There is an equal parts chance that things are actually substantially worse than Raj is making it out to be, or that things are substantially better but they're making it look bad for any one of a couple of corporate agendas.

Either way, it isn't Amazon that's causing headwinds for the company -- it is self-induced decisions combined with a zombie economy that is already dead but still walking and talking as if it were a normal human. UPS isn't reporting the same doom and gloom.
View Quote

You also have to realize FedEx is an airline while UPS is a trucking company who bought an airline...
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dead on accurate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

100% agreement. I don't know what the yields are, but friends are reporting full or paying loads nearly everywhere, including lots of Haz and point to point and US to overseas international, both traditional money makers.

Additionally, Raj may or may not be the permanent CEO...Fedex is at its heart a small, family owned Mid South business. Fred likely has an agenda with regards to Raj. Raj wants wins to keep the activist shareholders from standing on his balls and being able to report his genius is resulting in awesomeness.

You could fill a Wiki category on "failed Fedex management initiatives" starting with ZapMail and ending with TNT, that account for literally billions in wasted effort.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Heard from a buddy that a TA has been reached. Any details out yet?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is FedEx still a single source for usps …
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Fed Ex CEO just in the last few days declared a recession and they laid off 1000's. I'm inclined to believe him.
View Quote

Baloney!  The economy is stronger than ever now that orange man is out of office
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Heard from a buddy that a TA has been reached. Any details out yet?
View Quote

No details yet; not even leaks to the pilot group.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I'm seeing it looks like a big give back to the company and those at over 25 years with them.  All I see are pretty negative reviews.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

From what I'm seeing it looks like a big give back to the company and those at over 25 years with them.  All I see are pretty negative reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess now wasn’t the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, it was for the majority of the union reps who voted to send it to the pilots...which is sad, considering what is in there.

It is certainly interesting times for the purple pilot group. In the past this has been a highly fractured and non-unified group, with many "independent contractors" happy to represent their own interests in both their daily choices as well as their voting. The 2015 contract was ratified with only 57% of pilots voting yes. Even up through the insanity of COVID ops this mentality persisted, with many pilots still addictively suckling from the open-time-teat while the contract became amenable.

But...something seems to have switched in the group in the last 9-12 months. Seeds of discontent with the company strong enough to actually cause some unity were fermenting as people realized that their work during COVID wasn't ever going to be requited with anything but more "thank you" memos from company leadership. The topic that seems to have really coalesced things lately, though, is scope...thanks to the company's stated goals in their latest corporate re-structuring scheme to utilize subcontracting to reduce costs.

Suddenly people realized that the 2015 contract had scope language large enough to fly the Queen Mary through sideways, and started to see evidence of the company was already taking advantage of that very generous and vague language.

The evidence of this change in the water is the results of the recent strike authorization vote.

So, you're 100% correct (or maybe 99% correct, given the strike vote results) that now is not the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well, it was for the majority of the union reps who voted to send it to the pilots...which is sad, considering what is in there.

It is certainly interesting times for the purple pilot group. In the past this has been a highly fractured and non-unified group, with many "independent contractors" happy to represent their own interests in both their daily choices as well as their voting. The 2015 contract was ratified with only 57% of pilots voting yes. Even up through the insanity of COVID ops this mentality persisted, with many pilots still addictively suckling from the open-time-teat while the contract became amenable.

But...something seems to have switched in the group in the last 9-12 months. Seeds of discontent with the company strong enough to actually cause some unity were fermenting as people realized that their work during COVID wasn't ever going to be requited with anything but more "thank you" memos from company leadership. The topic that seems to have really coalesced things lately, though, is scope...thanks to the company's stated goals in their latest corporate re-structuring scheme to utilize subcontracting to reduce costs.

Suddenly people realized that the 2015 contract had scope language large enough to fly the Queen Mary through sideways, and started to see evidence of the company was already taking advantage of that very generous and vague language.

The evidence of this change in the water is the results of the recent strike authorization vote.

So, you're 100% correct (or maybe 99% correct, given the strike vote results) that now is not the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still haven't figured out that subbing out work is what is costing them?  are they intentionally blind?
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They still haven't figured out that subbing out work is what is costing them?  are they intentionally blind?
View Quote

Two things at the root of it:

- DE Shaw Group board members who care about short-term returns
https://capital.com/fedex-activist-investor-fdx-stock-price-de-shaw

- The McKinsey mind virus
https://www.celonis.com/blog/fedex-plots-new-strategy-to-optimize-supply-chain-network-processes/

This is no longer the Fred Smith FedEx. A once-great corporation in self-inflicted decline.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Which is fascinating, because during COVID it was the fact that Fedex was an integrated whole that allowed it to make record profits during that time.

Indeed, by many reports, it was that frenetic pace that really put a hurt on the Hubs.

Anyway, my bronet Intel is that this TA is going down in flames. If that place is in decline, a mercy killing via a strike might be the best thing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s about to get way worse. They’re screwed!

John Dietrich CFO

https://www.reuters.com/article/fedex-cfo/fedex-appoints-new-cfo-idUSL4N3933BC
Link Posted: 7/17/2023 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is no longer the Fred Smith FedEx. A once-great corporation in self-inflicted decline.
View Quote

I think this is key.  He gave the pilot group what they wanted without a lot of hassle.  The pilot group is now facing a management group focused on the bottom line and not the happiness of the pilot group.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Stock price headed down this morning on a "no" vote on the pilot's tentative agreement.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think this is key.  He gave the pilot group what they wanted without a lot of hassle.  The pilot group is now facing a management group focused on the bottom line and not the happiness of the pilot group.
View Quote

Fred penned the famous "with or without you" letter to the pilots.

I think the fundamental difference is in how Fred correctly viewed the value proposition of the company and how a coterie of people are trying to gang fuck that for their and not the company's benefit.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Well the Left did install the most pro-union emperor in history. Biden has their back!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It’s about to get way worse. They’re screwed!

John Dietrich CFO

https://www.reuters.com/article/fedex-cfo/fedex-appoints-new-cfo-idUSL4N3933BC
View Quote

I was reading a little bit earlier on what the rank and file thought of this.  Dietrich is being called todays Frank Lorenzo.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But...something seems to have switched in the group in the last 9-12 months.
Seeds of discontent with the company strong enough to actually cause some unity were fermenting as people realized that their work during COVID wasn't ever going to be requited with anything but more "thank you" memos from company leadership. The topic that seems to have really coalesced things lately, though, is scope...thanks to the company's stated goals in their latest corporate re-structuring scheme to utilize subcontracting to reduce costs.

View Quote

Interesting to re-visit what I wrote just a month ago.

With this TA being voted down by just 53%, apparently the highly fractured pilot group still exists...but the hiring boom of the last 7 years has handed the majority of the voting power over to a more junior seniority block and demographic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top