Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
I typically use a Merkur safety razor to shave my head.  It came with an included blade that seemed to give me 4 or 5 weekly shaves.  Pretty good as well.

I picked up a 10 pack of Feather blades and tried one yesterday.  I had a bad experience.  Seemed not to shave very well.  To the point that 20 minutes into it, I kind of gave up.  Not an overall smooth shave wit ha lot of stubble left.  I have read that these are the best blades available.

So, was it the blade?  Or do you think I just had a bad day?  I use the Colonel Conk Bay Rum...

Any recommendations would be great, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
There are fakes out there. Where did you buy it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have tried them all. I use feather now exclusively. Maybe a bad batch?

This is what I ordered on Amazon.

Feather
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Found your problem. I had some I got there too that I had to throw out. Get thel from a reputable dealer. Also amazon will say you cant return them do the online chat and accuse them of selling fakes and you will get a refund. If you look carefully there are reviews saying they are fakes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Give Derby blades a try.  They seem to be good for me, most are really sharp but not all are perfect as every so often one seems slightly dull - not sure if it's the blade or I let my face go too long in between shaves.  But for the price I'll use Derby all day long. Same setup as you, Merkur and Col. Conk Bay Rum.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I use Feathers in an old Gillette adjustable (Slim and Fat Boy).  They are good but sharp! and seem to dull fast.  When my 16 year old son was ready for DE shaves I tried some Derby's which are less sharp but the edge lasts 2 extra shaves for me. They are perfect for him.

I'd suggest trying another batch of feathers, and also some others like Derby.  Also consider using an adjustable razor which lets you change the blade angle to your skin.  Everyone's skin and hair toughness varies, and finding the right razor/blade/lather/technique is as much an art as a science.

Stick with it--once you find what works well, you will be amazed at the good quality of shave and a cheap price you can have compared to cartridge razors.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Feathers are weird. I've been DE shaving off and on (mostly on) for almost 20 years. I've struggled with Feathers the entire time until recently. They've always been too harsh for me. Never could understand how so many people thought they were the best blades ever.

The other day I was having a subpar shave with my RazoRock Game Changer .68 and my usual Astra SP blade. Decided to try a Feather since I hadn't used one for years. I'll be damned if I didn't get an outstanding shave.

In other words, give them another try. DE shaving is so personal, with so many variables, it might take you a bit to find what works best for you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Feather blades are my favorite blades.  They are the sharpest out there and I always get a great shave out of them.  I always get mine from Italian Barber's Black Friday sale.  I think they are usually on sale for $19.99 for 100.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 7:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pedaler] [#10]
I've tried them.   I get one "okay" head/face shave and then they are crap for me.  I'm done with them.  

Blades are very personal.  The best blade varies with the razor, your face, and shaving style. Try a bunch!   Also, your style will evolve over time.....never stop changing it up every now and then.  

For my Merkur 34C my go to is Lord Platinum.   I'll also use in the Merkur and other razors Personna Israeli reds, Vokshod, and Derby Extras.  Typically in old Gillettes it's Derby in the Techs and Vokshod in the TTOs.  I've tried a bunch of others, but have narrowed it down to those for bulk purchases.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I find that Derby or those Russian blades work the best for me in my razor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#12]
For $7 per 100 you are going to have a hard time beating these Astras.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QY8QXM/

Feathers are overpriced for what you get.  Currently $35 per 100 on Amazon, when I bought them I paid $23 per 100 and that was too much.

I have also had good luck with Personna and Derby.

Derby’s look to be about $10 per 100 on Amazon.  Personna seem overpriced now at $20 per 100.

Also Shark for $10 per 100 have worked well for me too.

At the low prices I don’t push a blade too hard and I only use them for 2 shaves.  At less than $0.05 per shave I don’t see a reason to go further.

The Feathers couldn’t be extended to additional shaves so not worth the extra cost when compared to the cheaper options.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 10:29:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats an awesome price on those Astra blades.  I may have to order them for that price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Feather makes good blades. I prefer Kai as they are a bit more polished in the edges and a smoother shave with more aggressive razors like my wolfman 1.25 and timeless bronze.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hooooon] [#15]
I use feather blades in my travel razor, which is a Leaf.  They work very well, though I’m probably going to swap out the Leaf for an adjustable DE safety razor.  No complaints about the blades, just don’t feel like the Leaf gives me the best control, and I have had one issue with blade slippage in the past.  Gashed my neck pretty good.  Not sure if that was my screw up or theirs.  Prior to that I’ve been very pleased with the Leaf.  Very easy to use for shaving my head, which is about all I use razors for at the moment.

I occasionally will use a feather in my home razor, which is a Merkur Progress long handle.  Gives me a very nice shave on setting 2-2.5 with two passes.  The blades typically last about 2-3 shaves, which isn’t bad for shaving your head.  I don’t use them super often just because I’ve only been wet shaving about 6 months, and the feathers don’t tend to leave a lot of room for error in technique.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:53:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#16]
I love the Personna blue meds. They are the best I have found for me. Some reason I did not care for the feather.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By banana-clip:
Thats an awesome price on those Astra blades.  I may have to order them for that price.
View Quote

Be aware that they're not sold by Amazon but by a 3rd party reseller.

I buy my bulk blades from Maggard.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Originally Posted By banana-clip:

You have to be careful of everything that ships from Amazon now (even the items sold by Amazon) because they comingle their stock with stock that third party sellers send to them to store and ship from Amazon's warehouses (fulfilled by Amazon). There is no telling whose merchandise the Amazon warehouse workers will grab when they go to fill orders, it might be a third party sellers' merchandise (be it real or counterfeit). So, always inspect what Amazon sends you and be on the lookout for fakes. Most of the time I've gotten what I believe is the real deal but there have been a few occasions that Amazon has me sent counterfeits (I don't think I've had it happen on razor blades as of yet though).
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered via that link to Amazon.  If they aren’t real, the facsimile is perfect and they shave just like my other Astra green blades.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 11:13:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered the Astras as well.  I have one Feather left to go in the pack.

What I gathered is that the Feather's aren't as bad as I thought.  There were two issues I learned about them.  

One, they only give me one good shave.  The second is ok, but not great.  The third is just to finish up the blade (This is for my head only).

Two, The angle it prefers, at least with my razor (Merkur), is much shallower than those Merkur blades.
I also got more shaves with the Merkurs..

We'll see what the Astras are like.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:34:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Italian Barber has Feathers 100 packs for $19.99 in their Black Friday Sale going on right now.

They also have good deals on a bunch of other bulk pack razor blades including:

100 Vi-John Super Platinum Coated Stainless DE Blades - $3.99

200 Vi-John Super Stainless DE Blades - $7.99

100 Treet New Steel Double Edge Blades - $3.99

100 Treet Silver Double Edge Blades - $3.99

100 Derby Extra DE Blades - $5.99

100 Rapira Super Stainless DE Blade - $5.99

100 Rapira Swedish Supersteel Blades - $6.99

100 Rapira Platinum Lux DE Blades - $7.99

100 Voskhod Teflon Coated DE Blades - $6.99

100 Ladas Super Stainless DE Blade - $6.99

100 Tiger Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades - $6.99

100 Tatra Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades -$6.99

100 Gillette Nacet Stainless Double Edge Razor Blades - $9.99

100 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Double Edge Blades (Green Pack - Russian made) - $12.49

and of course as mentioned above
100 Feather New Hi-Stainless DE Blades - $19.99
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 4:41:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TARHEEL_85:

You have to be careful of everything that ships from Amazon now (even the items sold by Amazon) because they comingle their stock with stock that third party sellers send to them to store and ship from Amazon's warehouses (fulfilled by Amazon). There is no telling whose merchandise the Amazon warehouse workers will grab when they go to fill orders, it might be a third party sellers' merchandise (be it real or counterfeit). So, always inspect what Amazon sends you and be on the lookout for fakes. Most of the time I've gotten what I believe is the real deal but there have been a few occasions that Amazon has me sent counterfeits (I don't think I've had it happen on razor blades as of yet though).
View Quote

I don’t do DE shaving. But it’s refreshing to see someone else who’s made this connection about amazon. If it’s shipped by Amazon, you’re rolling the dice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:57:08 PM EDT
[#23]
When I switched to DE I bought a variety pack of razors.  I tried Feather last because I heard it was way too sharp, but turned out I had no problem with it and it gave best shave.

But everybody's different.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I love the Personna blue meds. They are the best I have found for me. Some reason I did not care for the feather.
https://connaughtshaving.com/_wp_generated/wp9d79dd44_05_06.jpg
View Quote
I bought a 100 pack of these. I also love the feathers, but these are pretty damn good and so flippen cheap.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By pite0007:
Give Derby blades a try.  They seem to be good for me, most are really sharp but not all are perfect as every so often one seems slightly dull - not sure if it's the blade or I let my face go too long in between shaves.  But for the price I'll use Derby all day long. Same setup as you, Merkur and Col. Conk Bay Rum.
View Quote
I tried one of those sample packs with 10 or so different brands, Derby and Vokshod (or however you spell it) worked the best for me.

Every year or two I'll try Feathers again because people love them, but for my face and my razor they just don't perform as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top