Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2023 6:11:48 PM EDT
What do you all like squeeze-type grip strengthener / forearm exerciser thing?  I have a Flexbar and finger spreader thingies.  

Looking for a squeeze type thing specifically.

I see there's donut types, metal ones, plastic ones.

What's the one to get?

Will probably keep one at my desk and one in my car.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What do you all like squeeze-type grip strengthener / forearm exerciser thing?  I have a Flexbar and finger spreader thingies.  

What's the one to get?

Thanks!

View Quote

I use captains of crush grippers. They're the only ones that seem to actually get you stronger through progressive overload, as they're actually really hard to close all the way. The #1 (140 lbs) will humble you if you've never actually tried one. Getting the Trainer is a good idea, as not warming up prior to using one of the heavier ones could lead to tendonitis. They do tear up your hands though, as the knurling is pretty aggressive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You absolutely want an adjustable one that you can steadily tune to your grip strength. The fixed ones are always either too light or too strong.

This is the best one I've used, excellent range of resistance and tuneability, good ergos. Made in Korea.

https://www.amazon.com/GD-GRIP-Pro-70-Adjustable-Strengthener/dp/B009B59OPW

Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the captains of crush grippers all the way up to the 2.5. The best I've ever done was the 1.5 with my right hand. Use a fuck load of chalk or they'll tear up your hands.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Snap On, MAC, Klein, Channel Lock Craftsman, and other hand tools did the trick for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Snap On, MAC, Klein, Channel Lock Craftsman, and other hand tools did the trick for me.
View Quote

This man knows, pipe wrenches and drill stem on a geotech drill rig for years in my younger days did it for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rubber rings.

Effective, they don’t wear out and they don’t tear up your skin.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_0184-2841511.jpg

View Quote

I have a set of the rubber donuts. I have had them for years and they are great.  Mine are not that big about 2.5in in diameter. They have varying degrees of resistance through the three. Overall they are great.  I Use them as a fidget toy working finger dexterity and then hand strength.  Easy to use sitting at your desk or driving in the car.  The are cheap and durable.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I do dead hangs
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I use captains of crush grippers. They're the only ones that seem to actually get you stronger through progressive overload, as they're actually really hard to close all the way. The #1 (140 lbs) will humble you if you've never actually tried one. Getting the Trainer is a good idea, as not warming up prior to using one of the heavier ones could lead to tendonitis. They do tear up your hands though, as the knurling is pretty aggressive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the one to get?

Thanks!

@bigx5murf gets it. CoC are the standard. I’ve got a trainer and level 1 that I’ve used for years. I’ve been a serious gym rat my whole life. As age and injuries have added up, I mostly exercise/lift to keep what I have and stay hard to kill and functionally fit. Those 2 grippers have been plenty to keep my grip strength where it needs to be.

The rubber rings will get the job done, but they’re not serious tools for progressive overload and if the CoC grippers are hard on your skin, consider that a plus. Soft hands are a feminine trait.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want better grip get the CoC. Get one of the 3 packs for a better deal.  100 - 150 - 200 is a good start.  I have the 250 that most people can’t even move where I work.  I plan on getting the 300 soon.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 2:02:57 PM EDT
[#11]
CoC #2 is pretty much all I use.

A few sets 3 times a week to keep the strength up, short of that, not much else.

Mechanic here, so my grip is already nuts just from work. Everyone calls me the human visegrip and I laugh because I've met guys that make my grip look like that of a small child.. I've been humbled a few times by some seriously strong guys.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I use CoC (Captain of Crush). I have the 1, 2, and 2.5. I can only close the 2.5 with my right. Started with the 1 and worked with that then moved on to the 2. I worked at a mechanic shop and most those guys had a hard time with the 1, surprisingly. So if you don’t have much hand strength to start with I’d get the trainer.

For reference, when I started I could double overhand 315 on dead with no chalk, and I could not close the #2 until I worked with the #1 for a couple months.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top