Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2020 3:11:59 AM EDT
What’s your favorite barbell?

I’ve been stuck on the Rogue power bar and Rogue deadlift bar for quite some time.

I just tried an Elitefts iron cowboy bar and ended up buying one.  Time will tell if I like it more or less.

What else is out there that I am missing?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 3:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
For me it depends on the lift

OHP Black Widow multi grip bar or some no name power bar
BP Black widow multi grip bar
DL Crepinsek Trap Bar
SQ Duffalo bar or Crepinsek SSB to give my elbows and shoulders a break
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ohio deadlift bar for deads.

Ohio bar for everything else.

I don't do Olympic lifts anymore  though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I only have used a cheap Dick's bar, and two Texas Power Bars.

So based on that paltry sample size, Texas Power Bar is my favorite. One I use only for floor work because the knurling is much sharper, the other lives in the rack full time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Mastodon for squat
Eleiko PL bar for bench
Texas deadlift bar for DL
EliteFTS Yoke SSB for specialty bar (haven’t used the Transformer)

Texas squat bar whips too much for me to be super comfortable with it. Texas power bar has the same issue when benching. Rogue DL bar is too stiff

I have a feeling I’d love the stainless Rogue Ohio Power Bar but I’ve never used one
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I only have a Rogue Ohio bar, and I'm very happy with it.  The black finish is wearing thru at the contact point with the steel on my rack, but I chalk that up to my usage.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I only have a Rogue Ohio bar, and I'm very happy with it.  The black finish is wearing thru at the contact point with the steel on my rack, but I chalk that up to my usage.
View Quote

IMO the Ohio bar is a great do it all bar at a great price point.

I have my Elieko for weightlifting, and it's my favorite but it's also overkill for most.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using Rogue Ohio Power Bar out here. Pretty much the first time I've been able to consistently use a certain bar.
I would be very happy to have this bar in my own gym, they stand up well even to the abuse that a 24hr deployment gym deals with.

Basically no bar whip, at least at the weights I work with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Kabuki duffalo and power bar.  Knurl is unique aggressive but smooth and tacky

American Barbell as well stainless needle bearing for olympic lifts and cleans
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I have my Elieko for weightlifting, and it's my favorite but it's also overkill for most.
View Quote

They way people treat the $800 Elieko weightlifting bars at my gym They're also always taking them from the squat racks to bench with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They way people treat the $800 Elieko weightlifting bars at my gym They're also always taking them from the squat racks to bench with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is stashed in the corner and is only used for oly and squats lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine is stashed in the corner and is only used for oly and squats lol
View Quote
I was under the impression that you wanted more whip for Oly and deads and little to none for squatting and pressing?

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that you wanted more whip for Oly and deads and little to none for squatting and pressing?

View Quote

You can catch the bounce out of the hole squatting.  I'd bet benching big weight with a whippy bar could be a real hazard, but I wouldn't know about that.  

I mostly use a Rogue Olympic Training bar, but have their Ohio too.  It ain't no Eleiko or Uesaka but not bad for a cheaper bushing bar.

For a good all around powerlifting bar look into the B&R, OP.  29mm, no whip and the knurl feels great with no finish, does need some love or it'll rust pretty quick depending on climate.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I do like the B&R. I love the knurling and the feel of the bare steel. It's a fine knurl but still sharp enough to be sticky.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#14]
just bought a stainless Ohio power bar for my home gym. haven't used it yet since I'm still waiting on my rml 390.  it seems really nice especially since at my gym i have to check each bar for being bent before i use it.  one time i forgot and had the bar almost roll off my back while sqautting
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:33:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mastodon for squat
Eleiko PL bar for bench
Texas deadlift bar for DL
EliteFTS Yoke SSB for specialty bar (haven’t used the Transformer)

Texas squat bar whips too much for me to be super comfortable with it. Texas power bar has the same issue when benching. Rogue DL bar is too stiff

I have a feeling I’d love the stainless Rogue Ohio Power Bar but I’ve never used one
View Quote

My Ohio Deadlift bends much.  Too much to use it for anything but deads.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't stand too much whip in squats.  If you don't catch the bounce right it will pin you back down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can't stand too much whip in squats.  If you don't catch the bounce right it will pin you back down
View Quote
hence my impression

I mean at sub maximal weights, I could see you playing with the whip to pull you out of the hole.

But don't fuck up the timing
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Vintage Bob Hise era Mav-Rik Olympic bar, next would be the Eleiko's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
hence my impression

I mean at sub maximal weights, I could see you playing with the whip to pull you out of the hole.

View Quote

Also if you don't go perfectly vertical it may push you back or forward.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:30:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

What else are you trying to do with it? Lol
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What else are you trying to do with it? Lol
View Quote

I tried bench and squat with it just to see what it was like, awful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#22]
not gona lie, it would make me feel good for bar whip to be an issue with my benching.

Lemme borrow that deadlift bar
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
not gona lie, it would make me feel good for bar whip to be an issue with my benching.

Lemme borrow that deadlift bar
View Quote

Pick up only.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

The TX DL bar definitely has more whip.
I used to get pissed at my old gym when people would squat and bench with it.  Stupid.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
hence my impression

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't stand too much whip in squats.  If you don't catch the bounce right it will pin you back down
hence my impression

I guess it just depends on the person. I've done maxes with my Elieko and it's fine for me. Most weightlifters seem to squat with the same bars they clean and snatch with too.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm just going to be poor with my Cap OB-86PB. It's held up fine for 4 years of heavyish lifting for me. Knurling is pretty good, no whip with 500lbs and has taken a few drops with your issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I tried bench and squat with it just to see what it was like, awful.
View Quote

Yeah, that sounds like a bad time

I do rows with my DL bar without issue. Good knurling and a little bit smaller diameter doesn’t tire my grip out as fast
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah, that sounds like a bad time

I do rows with my DL bar without issue. Good knurling and a little bit smaller diameter doesn’t tire my grip out as fast
View Quote

By the time I get to rows my hands are too raw from deadlifts. The ohio deadlift bar knurl is extreme.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm just going to be poor with my Cap OB-86PB. It's held up fine for 4 years of heavyish lifting for me. Knurling is pretty good, no whip with 500lbs and has taken a few drops with your issue.
View Quote

Those actually get really good reviews.

I almost bought one as a backup bar before I got my second TBP.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I use my Ohio bar move than the others.

I also have this Titan bar that I paid $130 for. It's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:41:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Boneyard Ohio Bar and Titan’s Safety Squat bar since both shoulders non-lifting related injuries.
I just can’t articulate far enough to do squats with a straight bar anymore.

Disclaimer:I’m not a knuckle dragging silverback monster like most of the guys here.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Ohio Power Bar.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I just upgraded to an e-coat Ohio Power bar and REALLY like it so far, but I came from no name bars at the YMCAS and a Dick's starter set bar for my home gym, and don't have a lot of lifts in with new one.  

I also just got a Rep Fitness trap bar for deadlifts and farmer carries.  Too new and no prior use to compare.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Update after just a few weeks of use.

The build quality on the FTS is much lower than the Rogue.  The zinc is already coming off and the machining where the collar meets the bushing doesn’t match on both ends.  Still an enjoyable bar.  

Now I kind of want to try a Kabuki bar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I have noticed I go for the chalk A LOT less often now that I am using the Ohio e-coat power bar.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have noticed I go for the chalk A LOT less often now that I am using the Ohio e-coat power bar.
View Quote

@GLOCKshooter
Have you used their other power bars?

I have heard that the ecoat specifically greatly reduced the knurling as it is much thicker than the zinc or cerakote finishes.  
Just curious as it has a much better life expectancy than the zinc.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I have not used other Ohio bars.  I do like the knurling, and find it more aggressive than all the bullshit bars I have been using up til now.  

My Dick's starter bar has a fake chrome finish that was one of the main reasons I spent some coin on another bar.  Aside from flaking off and just getting generally disgusting, it pretty much filled in whatever knurling was cut into the bar.  I don't push enough weight to bend it, which is most people's complaint about cheap bars.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:38:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Good knurling is it's own sadistic pleasure.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I picked up an Ameican Barbell stainless bar a few months back and it's my favorite bar. What I love about it is the knurling. It's not a cheesegrinder knurling but an almost "fine" grain knurl.

I am not that happy with my EliteFTS SSB. The finish is peeling off and the sleeves are too small for most collars. Want to sell it and get the Titan SSB which has great reviews.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#41]
I have the Rogue Ohio stainless. It flexed too much doing squats so I got the Ohio power bar with e coat. Really happy with both.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a cerakoted Rogue Ohio Power Bar that has been surprisingly durable.  The front of my rack has a few 1" bolts that I use in place of J hooks and despite lots of bashing the cerakote has been fine.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I lined my J hooks with adhesive backed felt furniture pad.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I lined my J hooks with adhesive backed felt furniture pad.
View Quote

I'm surprised the knurling doesn't shred that felt.

I've been meaning to put something like this in my j-hooks for a long time. They have shallow grooves ground into them now. The bar seems to be fairing better than the hooks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm surprised the knurling doesn't shred that felt.

I've been meaning to put something like this in my j-hooks for a long time. They have shallow grooves ground into them now. The bar seems to be fairing better than the hooks.
View Quote

Got a thin cutting board you're okay sacrificing?

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#46]
I think I picked that link up from someone that used the stuff over at the Starting Strength forum. It would be super easy with the adhesive already there. I was initially thinking of tapping holes in the hooks and using something a bit thicker with CSK screws.

It's been 7 years now and I still haven't done either though because I'm pretty lazy. If I had one of those fancy cerakote bars I might be more motivated.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Just received a stainless Ohio Power bar and I really like the knurling on it. It's grippy without being overly sharp/aggressive.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just received a stainless Ohio Power bar and I really like the knurling on it. It's grippy without being overly sharp/aggressive.
View Quote

been using mine for the last couple weeks it's so nice to have a bar that grips your back during squats  lol it helps for shrugs to
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:14:22 AM EDT
[#49]
wait till you get a callous on your back...then you have arrived!  (not saying you haven't arrived already, I have no idea )

I have an Ohio Power Bar...all I will add is a good bar is absolutely worth the money.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 5:35:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
wait till you get a callous on your back...then you have arrived!  (not saying you haven't arrived already, I have no idea )

I have an Ohio Power Bar...all I will add is a good bar is absolutely worth the money.
View Quote

don't think I've gotten there yet lol.  i have stopped bruising there though.  i try and squat a few times a week from 315 to 450 depending on the mood.  my hands have a few layers of leather though but i also do construction.

im trying to get my numbers back up after having torn both my distal bicep tendons within a year of each other so my progress hasn't been the best lately
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top