Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2019 3:28:09 PM EDT
Since Fantasy has been done, list your favorite Sci-Fi authors.

John Scalzi - Old Mans War, The Interdependency, etc - Good author, just a bit of a SJW bent sometimes that makes me frown when reading, but not enough for me to stop reading. Military sci-fi in Old Man's War, just sci-fi in his other stuff.
Marko Kloos - Straight up military sci-fi. Excellent books. (Frontlines, Palladium Wars)
Timohty Zhan - Cobra, Quadrail, Icarus Hunt, etc)
Pierce Brown - Probably one of my favorite series, Red Rising.
James SA Cory - GRRM's assistant + another guy outshining GRRM. The Expanse. Not much of a fan of the TV series, but the books are great.
Richard K Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs, 13 - great stuff. Again, the show pales in comparison.
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
Hugh Howey - Wool, Molly Fyde - Wool is classic. A modern classic.
Dani and Eytan Kollin - The Unincorporated Man series
Joe Halderman - the Forever War
Sara King - The Zero series (although it starts to get cheesey in the add-on books)
Rachel Bach - Paradox series
Dennis E Taylor - The Bobiverse - sounds dumb, but it's actually great
John Steakley - Armor
Heinlen - I mean, come on.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:04:43 PM EDT
[#1]
ROGER ZELAZNY
Phip K Dick
David Drake
Piers Anthony
Friz Lieber
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Been working my way through the "zones of thought" books by Vernor Vinge.

Plus, T Zhan is also know for some very cool Star Wars books
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Heinlein, Niven, Zelazsny, Pohl, Asimov, Pournelle, Stirling, Vinge, Wells, Weber, Chalker, Tolkein, Silverberg.

ETA: +Dick, Drake, Morgan, Cheryh, Lackey, Williamson, Stephenson, Gibson, Sterling, Pratchett, Anthony

ETA2: ++Gaiman

ETA3: +Lem, Burroughs, Bujold, Farmer, Flint, Card, Crichton, Foster, Donaldson, Forstchen, Verne, Bradley, Adams, Bear, Anderson, Aspirin, Hamilton
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heinlein, Niven, Zelazsny, Pohl, Asimov, Pournelle, Stirling, Vinge, Wells, Weber, Chalker, Tolkein, Silverberg.

ETA: +Dick, Drake, Morgan, Cheryh, Lackey, Williamson, Stephenson, Gibson, Sterling, Pratchett, Anthony

ETA2: ++Gaiman
View Quote
mmm, forgot Williamson. Father of Cyberpunk.

Stephenson isn't one of my favs. He has some good stuff (Snow Crash) and some impenetrable gibberish.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
James SA Cory - GRRM's assistant + another guy outshining GRRM. The Expanse. Not much of a fan of the TV series, but the books are great.
View Quote
Lulz.  It's "Corey".

James S. A. Corey is the pen name used by collaborators Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, authors of the science fiction series The Expanse. The first and last name are taken from Abraham's and Franck's middle names, respectively, and S. A. are the initials of Abraham's daughter.
View Quote
Looks like Franck is the "GRRM's assistant" one.

Also, IIRC they're friends with Walter Jon Williams, who is quite possibly our greatest living author.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Surprised that no one has mentioned Becky Chambers, one of this year's Hugo winners.  Her "Wayfarers" series is extremely comfy.

Martha Wells' "Murderbot Diaries" also won a Hugo and is a lot of fun;  there's a fifth book coming out late next year.  A security cyborg hacks its governor module so that it no longer has to obey orders, and promptly starts watching soap operas.

Robert Kroese will be considered one of our finest authors in another couple of decades.

Walter Jon Williams already is.

Also quite enamored of the writing of E William Brown.  The second book in his "Perilous Waif" series is supposed to be released "real soon now".  The appendix to PW gave a good explanation of why and how he did his worldbuilding.  After thinking about it a good long while, I disagree with his reasoning on AI;  I think we will be able to build serious genius-level AI in only a few more generations.
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Terry Brooks

These 3 had me hooked...
The Sword of Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m listening to Marko Kloos’s Frontlines series on my commute.
I also like John Ringo’s Posleen War series.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
PKD
I. Asimov
F. Herbert
R. Heinlein
V. Vinge
L. Niven
G. Wolfe
A.C. Clarke
D. Simmons
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Isaac Asimov
Robert Heinlein
David Weber
John Ringo
Orson Scott Card
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Too many to list. Definitely my favorite genre.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 1:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
William Gibson - Neuromancer, among many others

Neil Stephenson - Snowcrash + others
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
The Mercenary - Jerry Pournelle. Everyone should read these. Retief - Keith Lamaur the original comedy sci-fi
David Webbers The Stars at War I & II. Finest space armada writing ever.
H Beam Piper
MR Forbes
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Asimov, et al.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Besides what's already listed:

James P. Hogan
Douglas Adams
Grant Naylor
E. E. 'Doc' Smith
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Marko has talent for story telling

The expanse series is awesome
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Richard K Morgan The Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.
Link Posted: 9/29/2019 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Brian Niemeier author of the Soul Cycle series and Combat Frame XSeed

Nick Cole co-writer of Galaxy's Edge and Soda Pop Soldier

John C. Wright author of Superluminary and The Count to the Eschaton Sequence

Yakov Merkin author of Galaxy Ascendent

Jon Del Arroz author of The Stars Entwined, Justified, and the Rislandia series

B.V. Larson author of Starship Liberator, Undying Mercenaries, Rebel Fleet, etc

Richard Fox author of Ember War and Exiled Fleet

Scott Bartlett author of After the Galaxy, Spacers, Ixan Prophecies, etc
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Richard K Morgan The Takeshi Kovacs trilogy, Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, and Woken Furies.
View Quote
Did you like the show on Netflix? I watched one episode and didn't want to go on. They changed so much it was basically "inspired" by the books, but completely different.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Did you like the show on Netflix? I watched one episode and didn't want to go on. They changed so much it was basically "inspired" by the books, but completely different.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did watch the entire Netflix series and enjoyed it but it had been about two years since I had read or listened to the originals.  I thought it was good and the basic story arc of Altered Carbon survives relatively intact but they changes so many of the supporting characters I am not sure how they will possibly use the stories from Broken Angel and especially Woken Furies in the next season.  They basically combined Virginia Vidaura and Nadia Makita into the same character and that did not outright brake the Altered Carbon story arc too badly but it utterly destroys the story arc of Woken Furies and many of the underlying libertarian leaning politics in the series in general.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm two books into a six-part series called The 28th Gate. It's starting to get good

Christopher C. Dimond
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Frank Robinson (I met him, and he was a great guy, no longer with us though). I did acquire an original manuscript of his...still on typing paper as submitted to his publisher.  It is in a box that is about a ream of paper.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They really mangled the side characters and meta story. There are elements of the TV series that work, and many that do not. I’m glad I watched it, but in terms of the quality of the books it was “meh”.

The books are pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Frank Robinson (I met him, and he was a great guy, no longer with us though). I did acquire an original manuscript of his...still on typing paper as submitted to his publisher.  It is in a box that is about a ream of paper.
View Quote
I used to work on sf/fantasy paper manuscripts.  I copyedited some of the authors in this thread.  Books typically ran 225-600 pages, double-spaced.

Was your copy marked up or clean?  Were there differences in the text from the published book?  I'd guess clean, with the marked-up copy that everyone touched through production squirrelled away in the publisher's file cabinets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Another interestIng read:

The Unincorporated Man, by Eytan and Dani Kollin

The sequels aren’t as interesting, but it’s a great concept.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Another interestIng read:

The Unincorporated Man, by Eytan and Dani Kollin

The sequels aren’t as interesting, but it’s a great concept.
View Quote
Ooh, yeah, I read that and at least one sequel. It was pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 1:10:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Larry Correia
Rick Partlow
John Ringo
Michael Z Williamson
CJ Carella
BV Larson
Jay Allen
Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Evan Currie
Mark E Cooper
Marko Kloos
John Scalzi
Weston Ochse
Taylor Anderson
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I used to read a lot of sci fi, but it’s been a while.  Most were forgettable.
David Brin was one of my favorite Sci-fi authors.  Stuff like his uplift war stories.
Surprised no love here for his writings.

I’ve read a few Ben Bova books.  I really liked his books about the first expeditions to Mars
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

mmm, forgot Williamson. Father of Cyberpunk.

Stephenson isn't one of my favs. He has some good stuff (Snow Crash) and some impenetrable gibberish.
View Quote
I thought William Gibson was father of cyberpunk

What did Stephenson write that was impenetrable gibberish?
Link Posted: 10/4/2019 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Brin is an ass, that's why...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to read a lot of sci fi, but it's been a while.  Most were forgettable.
David Brin was one of my favorite Sci-fi authors.  Stuff like his uplift war stories.
Surprised no love here for his writings.

I've read a few Ben Bova books.  I really liked his books about the first expeditions to Mars
Brin is an ass, that's why...
He may be a consummate dickhead, but he’s still a good author.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct, I don't know why I typed Williamson. I think my mind was saying William GIBSON and my fingers just got a garbled transmission.

Anathem. Cryptonomicon
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Correct, I don't know why I typed Williamson. I think my mind was saying William GIBSON and my fingers just got a garbled transmission.

Anathem. Cryptonomicon
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anathem. Cryptonomicon
Burning Chrome (short story) and neuromancer are 100x the book of those two.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Anathem. Cryptonomicon
View Quote
Kind of figured that's what happened.

I dont consider anathem or cryptonomicon science fiction though, more historical fiction I guess kind of like the big u and zodiac from before Stephenson hit big with snow crash. I liked cryptonomicon for what it is.

I've read quite a bit of scifi starting with Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and including William Gibson's entire catalog and snow crash stands above all others in my own book
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Walter Jon Williams
Larry Niven
Clifford D Simak
SM Stirling
Robert Heinlein
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#37]
The ones that come to mind most recently that stayed with me are written by Dan Simmons.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Peter F Hamilton.

The Commonwealth Series is some of the most entertaining Sci Fi I have read.  Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained were incredible.

NOT a fan of the Confederacy series, however.

Big fan of Larry Niven.  I think most of his short stories, Known Space series, and Integral Trees (and the Smoke Ring ) are my favorites.

Charles Sheffield's stuff can be pretty darn good.  Some, not so much.  Wish he was still around.

Robert Silverberg is another favorite.  His treatment of the Gilgamesh Epic was fantastic.  My favorite short story, for some reason is "Hawksbill Station"  or, as I like to call it, "Gulag  Pre-Cambrian"
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Peter F Hamilton.

The Commonwealth Series is some of the most entertaining Sci Fi I have read.  Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained were incredible.
View Quote
I love Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, though I think there's a bit too much of an obsession with sex for most of the characters.
I mean, everyone likes sex, but a lot of the characters in those books seem absolutely consumed by it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2019 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Early on it was writers like Ray Bradbury and Philip K Dick.  After college it was William Gibson and Bruce Sterling
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I love Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, though I think there's a bit too much of an obsession with sex for most of the characters.
I mean, everyone likes sex, but a lot of the characters in those books seem absolutely consumed by it.
View Quote
The Confederacy series is even WORSE!!!!

If you go back and read the very first Commonwealth novel, Misspent Youth, the sexual obsession is, at least, explained as part of their rejuvenation process, which makes sense.

The Confederacy is just gross for the sake of it, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2019 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I liked the netflix show, but that's because I hadn't read the books. I started the first book, but it didn't grab me enough to binge it. Maybe I'll get back to it someday.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#43]
The best opening line I've read is:  "The Galaxy is a Dumpster Fire. A hot, stinking, dumpster fire." Ok, that's 2 opening lines but, they go so well together.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I may have missed it, but surprised John Varley wasn’t mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I may have missed it, but surprised John Varley wasn’t mentioned.
View Quote

He has been.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Fritz Lieber was a great one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Ian Douglas, Star Carrier Series and a few others.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Dan Abnett. Writes for the Warhammer universe.

The Eisenhorn books are outstanding, as are his other Black Library offerings.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Most of the ones I like have already been listed, but Benjamin Wallace is one of my faves, his Post-Apocalyptic Nomadic Warrior series is hilarious .
Michael Crichton
David Drake
Timothy Zahn- if his Star Wars books had been what they based the sequel movies on, they would have beaten the original series.

Someone that was a bit of an also ran writer during the Golden Era of sci-fi (Heinlein, Asimov, etc.) was H Beam Piper, his Lone Star Planet is probably my favorite. He was a big gun nut too, wrote a noir detective novella called Murder in the Gun Room.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Glen Cook, The Dragon Never Sleeps, SF, not a Fantasy book.

Obligated to mention Mickey Zucker Reichert, Three I Robot prequel novels. She was specifically chosen by Asimov’s widow and daughter. Pat Rogers advised throughout series on Police procedure.

I’m obligated because Author is my wife. She’s published a couple dozen fantasy novels as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top