Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2018 6:49:51 AM EDT
I didn't do a search - honestly I wasn't sure what to search for. My father just passes and I inherited all of his guns. I don't know if they are all in his name or not. I'm assuming they are but a few I know were my grandfathers who passed many years ago. I guess my question is now what? Do I have them all transfered into my name, and if so who do I contact? All of my guns are in either my name or my wife's and I do have a trust, not that matters on this. I just am not sure if I have to do something, or anything at all, since he was my father. Thank Y'all for any help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#1]
IANAL but If there is no gun registration in Texas, which I’m pretty sure there isn’t, you don’t need to do anything.  If you want them owned by your trust do the standard assignment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#2]
you mean Dad left you YOUR Guns..that were in his house..
if you're in Tejas. there is NO registration, State mandated transfers of private property beyond real estate..

sorry for your loss. enjoy your new toys, thank Dad for leaving you something tangible..
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Even in this non-free state we don't have to transfer them from father son, it is a gift to have some guns without the gov knowing where they are.

AR's and assault weapons are different here. Take them and enjoy the freedom arms you have.
As long as they have not been reported stolen -ever, your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#4]
OP:  I inhereted my dads guns in 2011; he passed away in MD.

Some of them once belonged to my grandfather.

Simply go retrieve the firearms; they are yours now.

That is - assuming their are no issues with the will or your siblings.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
don't do anything
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm very sorry for your loss.

I teach the gun law in a communist state and inheritance is one aspect that I cover. Here is the citation for Federal law on inheritance.

No FFLs required, even across state lines. [18 USC 44 S. 922 (a)(3)(A) & 922 (a)(5)(A)]

In essence nothing is required by Fed Law as long as you were named in a will or inherited by virtue of intestate laws where your Father passed away.

I can't imagine TX state laws require anything either, but you can always check that out yourself on your state's website.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#9]
1st, definitely very sorry for your loss...

How many guns are we talking?

Are there any NFA items or C&R or anything out of the norm??

If just normal stuff, I'd think you just pack it up, while remembering the good times with your Pop and bring them home.

I'd be investing in another Gun safe to store the new collection in...
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone else has the right response, so I'll just say I'm sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you guys again and not only for the help but the condolences. It has been a LONG year and trying to handle his estate has been hard but I'm finally able, I THINK, to have my head above water.
Since I'm not a criminal and as most of you said there is no law on it, I'll just keep them as are then. I never sell guns but he and I had a very different style on what we wanted. The # of guns, I'd have to look at the spreadsheet I put together. Mostly older things - heck I had one 870 in the house that he gave me when I was about 10 years old. Now I have upwards of 5. He just loved them. I moved on to different, more modern shotguns for hunting. He bought what he liked as do I.
My step-mother told me the other day, as I was moving some of the weapons from the house, that he said I would be jealous of "that one". It's a simple Ruger Ranch Rifle .223. Hell he knew I had pistols in the same cal. and WAY more weapons of that type. He never once even shot it before he died......

Anyway - thank Y'all again. This place always is a big help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Lost my Dad Friday

Sorry for your loss brother
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:02:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lost my Dad Friday

Sorry for your loss brother
View Quote
I saw your post in GD and responded with condolences and I feel your pain my Friend. Stay positive, know we're praying for you and yours and if you ever need to talk let me know. It's hard and I still want to pick up the phone and call him and ask him a question and then it kicks in, he's gone. I inherited so much including our ranch and trying to deal with.....everything but stay positive and people say it'll get easier. Just know you have someone like me who can relate, talk with and hopefully help.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I didn't do a search - honestly I wasn't sure what to search for. My father just passes and I inherited all of his guns. I don't know if they are all in his name orhttps://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?a=tquote&b=1&f=6&t=2158106&tl=Father-Passed-Weapon-Inheretance&r=-1&page=1 not. I'm assuming they are but a few I know were my grandfathers who passed many years ago. I guess my question is now what? Do I have them all transfered into my name, and if so who do I contact? All of my guns are in either my name or my wife's and I do have a trust, not that matters on this. I just am not sure if I have to do something, or anything at all, since he was my father. Thank Y'all for any help.
View Quote
What does "in his name" mean?
Does HIS state have registration?
Tx does not as far as I know.
So what do you mean that "transfered into my name"?
What does "All of my guns are in either my name or my wife's" mean in a state without registration?

The executor of the state can hand you YOUR guns under Federal Law.
They are already YOURS at the  moment he died under Federal Law.
That is why BATFE has the 'exception' under Federal Rules for inherited firearms transfers across state lines.
No FFL required.
The executor hands them to you.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry for your loss.

As others have said you don't have to do anything, there is no "transfer" unless you're talking about some sort of NFA item.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#16]
There are a very few states, like NJ, that require an FFL to handle the transfer of firearms from the estate to the heir even if the heir is out of state (stupid law).  If the OP's father was also in TX or if he was in a more free state than NJ then likely nothing is required other than for the OP to take the guns.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a very few states, like NJ, that require an FFL to handle the transfer of firearms from the estate to the heir even if the heir is out of state (stupid law).  If the OP's father was also in TX or if he was in a more free state than NJ then likely nothing is required other than for the OP to take the guns.
View Quote
Good point.
You have to obey state (and local) laws if there are any that apply.

You would think they would be glad to just let the guns get out of their state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I didn't do a search - honestly I wasn't sure what to search for. My father just passes and I inherited all of his guns. I don't know if they are all in his name or not. I'm assuming they are but a few I know were my grandfathers who passed many years ago. I guess my question is now what? Do I have them all transfered into my name, and if so who do I contact? All of my guns are in either my name or my wife's and I do have a trust, not that matters on this. I just am not sure if I have to do something, or anything at all, since he was my father. Thank Y'all for any help.
View Quote
Sorry for your loss.

Texas does not have any form of gun registration, so they are yours, with nothing further needed. if any are NFA, those will need to xfer to you on F5 to meet Fed requirements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top