Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2023 12:14:11 PM EDT
I'm almost done with a 48 hour fast for spiritual reasons, a lot of prayer, a lot of spiritual humility, etc.   An aspect of this fast is self punishment if I'm being honest, as a way of doing penance through denying indulgence and nourishment, but with a lot of prayer to Jesus for help and joy.  In a way I feel as though I don't deserve to eat and may go longer or just eat light this evening.  It's still Easter and I shouldn't fast but it was needed, I prayed a lot leading up to it to ask for forgiveness for fasting during Easter.

I won't get into all the personal reasons, and I'm not really even sure why I'm posting this.  Maybe just to start a fasting discussion, I think we discussed it in the Lent thread.

If you don't fast, you should, it does incredible things for you spiritually to deny yourself something by willpower.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
“…….An aspect of this fast is self punishment if I'm being honest, as a way of doing penance …

Self punishment/ penance is the wrong concept.
See:

Ephesians 2:8
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm almost done with a 48 hour fast for spiritual reasons, a lot of prayer, a lot of spiritual humility, etc.   An aspect of this fast is self punishment if I'm being honest, as a way of doing penance through denying indulgence and nourishment, but with a lot of prayer to Jesus for help and joy.  In a way I feel as though I don't deserve to eat and may go longer or just eat light this evening.  It's still Easter and I shouldn't fast but it was needed, I prayed a lot leading up to it to ask for forgiveness for fasting during Easter.

I won't get into all the personal reasons, and I'm not really even sure why I'm posting this.  Maybe just to start a fasting discussion, I think we discussed it in the Lent thread.

If you don't fast, you should, it does incredible things for you spiritually to deny yourself something by willpower.
View Quote

That's very commendable, gullskjegg. Indeed, it is a form of penance that goes back many centuries. It's great you have included prayer and reading in its regard. Otherwise, I suppose it is a physical exercise. Having said that, you of course want to make sure physically you're body is able to handle the 48 hour regime. And as you know, per the Gospel, throw some oil on your face and be outwardly cheerful so as not appear to be fasting to people you come in contact with. Thanks very much for sharing this with us, very edifying.

My experience with fasting was for the (western) Church Lent of 1975. I ate nothing on Wednesday and Fridays during that Lent. I was just shy of turning 20 and fasted two full days a week because I was trying to make the momentous decision (to me) as to whether to quit the band I'd played in since I was 15 and go to a seminary-college program, or keep playing. I knew I would by going to seminary probably lose my girlfriend of several years (I did) and quit the main goal of my life to be a professional musician back to when I was in 8th grade.

By the end of the fast (Easter) I had a clear vision of the path forward, including what parish and seminary to attend. I have never regretted taking that path. It also resulted in me (during the MDiv program) meeting my wife and meeting some great, great friends and obtaining two degrees. But back then for an Episcopalian bar band guitar player in NE Ohio, it was pretty scary!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
“…….An aspect of this fast is self punishment if I'm being honest, as a way of doing penance …

See:

View Quote

I guess I'm missing what you are getting at unless you just mean that I'm already saved and owe no penance?

That's a very long discussion (that will undoubtedly turn into an arfcom dumpsterfire, lol), but I am not fasting to be saved: I am fasting for forgiveness, for clarity, to show myself strength against satan through abstinence, reverence for our Lord, the list goes on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's very commendable, gullskjegg. Indeed, it is a form of penance that goes back many centuries. It's great you have included prayer and reading in its regard. Otherwise, I suppose it is a physical exercise. Having said that, you of course want to make sure physically you're body is able to handle the 48 hour regime. And as you know, per the Gospel, throw some oil on your face and be outwardly cheerful so as not appear to be fasting to people you come in contact with. Thanks very much for sharing this with us, very edifying.

My experience with fasting was the (western) Church Lent of 1975. I ate nothing on Wednesday and Fridays during that Lent. I was just shy of turning 20 and fasted two full days a week because I was trying to make the momentous decision (to me) as to whether to quit the band I'd played in since I was 15 and go to a seminary-college program, or keep playing. I knew I would by going to seminary probably lose my girlfriend of several years (I did) and quit the main goal of my life to be a professional musician back to when I was in 8th grade.

By the end of the fast (Easter) I had a clear vision of the path forward, including what parish and seminary to attend. I have never regretted taking that path. It also resulted in me (during the MDiv program) meeting my wife and meeting some great, great friends and obtaining two degrees. But back, then for an Episcopalian bar band guitar player in NE Ohio, it was pretty scary!
View Quote

Man, what a great story!  It's truly amazing isn't it?  It's amazing what happens by God through prayer.

Yes I'm capable, I've done 72 hours water only and went on with life, I hold up well and even worked out yesterday and today.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Man, what a great story!  It's truly amazing isn't it?  It's amazing what happens by God through prayer.

Yes I'm capable, I've done 72 hours water only and went on with life, I hold up well and even worked out yesterday and today.
View Quote

We fast minimum once a month.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We fast minimum once a month.
View Quote

Good to hear!

I was getting into more short fastings more frequently until Easter. After Pentecost I will get back into it.  Once per week, if not twice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I cannot remember if I mentioned it in your older thread, but Dr. Jay Richards' Eat, Fast, Feast is a very good book on the topic.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I've gone ten days with only water and didn't notice anything spiritual.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do like fasting as a means of training your body that the mind is in control and training the mind that it should be in control of the body. I’ve done a few, and they are generally rewarding.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cannot remember if I mentioned it in your older thread, but Dr. Jay Richards' Eat, Fast, Feast is a very good book on the topic.
View Quote

Thanks, brother, I listened to him on Gordons show the other day and plan on getting the book.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

See:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

See:

I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified

How do people expect to resist major temptations if they don't practice on minor temptations?

"Gonna run a marathon, but all that training hurts. I'll just show up and wait for miracles to happen"

Lost on many Catholics is the ancient practice of fasting/abstaining on the eve of major feast days.  Explains a lot of what I saw in the airport this past week.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 11:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I continuously fast on Wed and Fridays. I have since Covid started.
I'll fast from social media or screen time to add prayer time and visits to the Blessed Sacrament in reparation.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I guess I'm missing what you are getting at unless you just mean that I'm already saved and owe no penance?

That's a very long discussion (that will undoubtedly turn into an arfcom dumpsterfire, lol), but I am not fasting to be saved: I am fasting for forgiveness, for clarity, to show myself strength against satan through abstinence, reverence for our Lord, the list goes on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See:

Letting your flesh know who is in control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top