Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 1:44:05 PM EDT
Those that came before us were some tough folks. I can see why most were old by age 40.

Really cool series centered on castle construction,  but also snippets of everyday life.

[youtube]playlist?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g[/youtube]

Edit/ youtube linkage ain't working....huhm?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Trying again...

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Nevermind.

Edit/  another go...

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL72jhKwankOiwI5zt6lC3eQtsQDxOaN_g

And another...

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
A playlist doesn’t work like an individual video.

Just pick the first video in the playlist and use the link for only that video.

Are We Still Able To Build Medieval Castles? | Secrets Of The Castle | Timeline
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A playlist doesn’t work like an individual video.

Just pick the first video in the playlist and use the link for only that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydoRAbpWfCU
View Quote

Thanky, kindly. Was not aware.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Still interesting though.  It just crazy to think that your whole life could be just doing one job on one building project....and even several generations on things like cathedrals.
Women must have been pretty damn strong from all of that grinding of grain daily....
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
the lady in that vid,   Ruth something (Damn work computer only lets me see seconds of stuff on youtube) has done a number of series ,

we watched Victorian Farm a few months ago,  
she and 2 other scholartypes lived on a a farm as if it was in the 1880's or so for a year,

they have one on Edwardian times and also Tudor as well,

interesting  and enlightening  on what the avg peasant had to do and go thru just to survive,
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the lady in that vid,   Ruth something (Damn work computer only lets me see seconds of stuff on youtube) has done a number of series ,

we watched Victorian Farm a few months ago,  
she and 2 other scholartypes lived on a a farm as if it was in the 1880's or so for a year,

they have one on Edwardian times and also Tudor as well,

interesting  and enlightening  on what the avg peasant had to do and go thru just to survive,
View Quote

Ruth Goodman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Farm
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That stuff fascinates me, but every time I see a movie about that era, I think of the smell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That stuff fascinates me, but every time I see a movie about that era, I think of the smell.
View Quote

I would agree. The Ren Festival where they sell tiny $75 pewter dragon statues certainly is romanticized.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:13:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the series that this group produces. I just watched Edwardian and Wartime Farm. The UK puts out some very good documentary type shows.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love the series that this group produces. I just watched Edwardian and Wartime Farm. The UK puts out some very good documentary type shows.
View Quote

Yep, they did one on the farmers during the WWII era, and how they were encouraged & helped to farm every square inch of arable land.  The women went out & gauged trees & cut them down for rifle stocks & such.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

That new castle has shit ports on the towers. Basically, the house lord's turd just falls to a cess pit three stories down. Can you even imagine being a peasant in charge of the cess pit? You look up every morning, look up to see the King's nuts and asshole and await the bombardment?

"Oi 'ate it when His Loordship eats tha plum puddin' the night before....Oi'm on a ladda, scrubbin' tha wolls if'n the wind gets to blowing to 'ard."

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That new castle has shit ports on the towers. Basically, the house lord's turd just falls to a cess pit three stories down. Can you even imagine being a peasant in charge of the cess pit? You look up every morning, look up to see the King's nuts and asshole and await the bombardment?

"Oi 'ate it when His Loordship eats tha plum puddin' the night before....Oi'm on a ladda, scrubbin' tha wolls if'n the wind gets to blowing to 'ard."

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat, thanks OP.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbpNP0NHQu4

There was a lot of wokeness i did not like about GOT, but other perspectives, like that duty Sam suffered, were like smelly chocolate icing on that cake.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Good stuff OP.

Tagged.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They took whore's baths and changed their undergarments daily, used fresh flowers and herbs, brushed their teeth, used perfume when available, swam, bathed once a week or some, and even washed their clothes.

They would have smelled like people smell without deodorant, but the stench you imagine wasn't near as bad as one would be lead to believe. We know because people like Ruth Goodman have lived like the Medieval and Renaissance people did for periods just to see how it was.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The most coveted position in Medieval England was the Groom of the Stool. It was a member of the nobility who literally wiped the king's ass for him. He was closer to the king than anyone else and had the king's ear.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#20]
There are some books I can't recommend enough:

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer
The Time Traveler's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer
How to Be a Tudor by Ruth Goodman
How to Behave Badly in Elizabethan England by Ruth Goodman
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The most coveted position in Medieval England was the Groom of the Stool. It was a member of the nobility who literally wiped the king's ass for him. He was closer to the king than anyone else and had the king's ear.
View Quote
the more you know...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I believe that's the absolute history crew on youtube.  They have a lot of cool series like that.  The castle one is probably the best, but they have several others worth watching.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the more you know...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the more you know...

Seriously. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_of_the_Stool
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Another series I liked, Terry Jones Medieval lives.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Tagging
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Added to the list, thank you Sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Added to the list, thank you Sir.

One of the Ruth Goodman BBC shows was on life on a Tudor Monastery Farm (obviously what life was like before Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries) and there was companion book with it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Shadiversity, Jason Kingsley, and Lindybeige be like

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
"My people were slaves!"
"What the fuck do you think serfs were?"
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I just watched 2 hours of this and I am entertained .  I’ll watch more of this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:10:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks. I'd love those in audio book. My only book reading time of late is audio books during commutes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:14:59 AM EDT
[#32]
If you liked that, Amazon has a really good series on knights you'd probably like, let me find it.

https://www.amazon.com/For-Fame-and-Honour/dp/B07P9KFG8Z

It covers the history and social milieu knights were in, but also technical analysis of their weapons and armor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I own some books, Everyone an Eyewitness. Anecdotal stuff to the period. Excellent reads from contemporary sources. Fascinating stuff really.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Neat! I'm currently reading the book Pillars of the Earth, which is about cathedral building in early 12th century England, so this is a pretty cool companion to it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#35]
While you history buffs are here, I cannot leave this thread without recommending a book.

I sub to Smarter Everyday on YouTube. In an ad blurb at the end of a video he recommended this book: Salt:A World History.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2715.Salt

He basically said: "This book about salt may sound lame, but when I started it, I could not put it down."

I audio booked it and agree that it is one of the most fascinating historical books I've ever enjoyed. Being from the 20th Century, I had no idea just how important a commodity simple salt was in all the preceding history of man.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:39:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While you history buffs are here, I cannot leave this thread without recommending a book.

I sub to Smarter Everyday on YouTube. In an ad blurb at the end of a video he recommended this book: Salt:A World History.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2715.Salt

He basically said: "This book about salt may sound lame, but when I started it, I could not put it down."

I audio booked it and agree that it is one of the most fascinating historical books I've ever enjoyed. Being from the 20th Century, I had no idea just how important a commodity simple salt was in all the preceding history of man.
View Quote
The salt must flow.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Very good series, worth watching
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I just finished episode 1 and I'm hooked. One of the coolest shows I've seen in a long time.

Thanks, OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top