Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2020 6:02:35 PM EDT
Just watched the crew capsule abort test on Youtube. Nobody is saying anything, or admitting it was an in-flight termination (the polite term for command self-destruct system activation), but it clearly was that.

Anybody know why, or why they didn't do one of their cool landings of the first stage?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion prior to the launch was that once the capsule was pulled away, that aerodynamic stress on the unprotected nose of the rocket would likely cause it to disintegrate in flight. A normal stage separation would not happen in that manner, or at that low of an altitude resulting in that much aerodynamic stress.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I know they were saying it might break up, from aerodynamic instability, but I'm not sure that's what happened. It's also capable of self destruct. Watching the video, it didn't get all wobbly, but was undoubtedly unstable. I think the cpu might have self destruct, as per SOP. If it was able to be recovered, highly improbable, the frame most likely saw stresses that wouldn't pass it for future flights.

FYI, there's specific tax deductions for R&D. So, not a huge loss. Us nerds love when rockets explode.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
They clearly terminated it. I guess they wanted to make sure all the pieces were small.

They never talk publicly about the termination systems, or when they are used. But they always have the "button", even on manned flights.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:08:57 PM EDT
[#4]
They didn't want all that unspent fuel going into the ocean.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#5]
They didn't terminate it. Aerodynamic forces broke it apart. I've seen several pics and videos showing quite a yaw before it broke up. Also a termination signal would also split open the second stage tanks and there is plenty of photos of it intact all the way to the water.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Sure looked like a termination to me. Exactly like the Challenger SRB termination, in fact.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#7]
It was clearly a termination
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Too be fair a termination is just a forced structural failure and would look nearly identical. Breached pressurized fuel tanks failing catastrophically in both cases.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sure looked like a termination to me. Exactly like the Challenger SRB termination, in fact.
View Quote
The SRB's continued flight and burned out after the tank exploded. They were not terminated.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The SRB's continued flight and burned out after the tank exploded. They were not terminated.
View Quote
https://apnews.com/fd63c0b59c0f6801f2b852f7dc2dc161
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://apnews.com/fd63c0b59c0f6801f2b852f7dc2dc161
I was wrong.

https://youtu.be/MNAge4-cckc

At the 7 minute mark in this video.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
According to Elon, it broke apart and didn’t terminate. I’m inclined to believe them since the 2nd stage was intact and you can see the top of the 1st stage bulkhead on the LOX take I believe still attached to the interstate. If it was FTSed, the 2nd stage would have been destroyed too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, @deltaheavy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top