Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 5:44:14 PM EDT
I submitted my pre-order on 2/18, more than a week after they opened up general pre-orders,
with a delivery date expected to be late in 2021.

I just got a note from Starlink that they're shipping mine in the next 72 hours, so less than 7 weeks after ordering.

This may be connected to my living in BFE, but I'm pretty far south of their current service area and there's nothing that should give me priority handling outside of being in an obvious no-internet zone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You're south of me. I haven't seen an email yet, buy maybe soon.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
You lucky SOB!!!! I'm so jealous. What is your latitude?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm impressed. I watched their guys hand-assemble each antenna and individually test each unit. They must have scaled up a lot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You lucky SOB!!!! I'm so jealous. What is your latitude?
View Quote

34.5N.

I'm in the mountain forest area south of Prescott, there's only two cell towers with line-of-sight and they're 7 miles away, I'm doing OK with my hacked together LTE setup but this should be a big improvement.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Order placed 3-13.
Sw PA.  Haven't heard anything yet
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

34.5N.

I'm in the mountain forest area south of Prescott, there's only two cell towers with line-of-sight and they're 7 miles away, I'm doing OK with my hacked together LTE setup but this should be a big improvement.
View Quote
I'm 34.7N and have heard nothing.  Signed up 2/20
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm typing this on mine.  Just got it setup today.  So far it works very well
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool!  I'm at 39.5N.  I've heard nothing yet but maybe not much longer.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

34.5N.

View Quote

Let us know how it works for you.  According to the  Starlink satellite coverage map that area is only at around 75% coverage during the day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Let us know how it works for you.  According to the  Starlink satellite coverage map that area is only at around 75% coverage during the day.
View Quote

That's one reason why I was so surprised it was shipping.

I suspect I will be setting up my linux-based router box to switch between starlink and LTE connections for a while.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I need an rv plan. Currently they don't allow travel more than 10ish miles from service address I need to be able to go anywhere in the conus
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm 34.7N and have heard nothing.  Signed up 2/20
View Quote

34.8N here. Now I’ve got my hopes up for an early delivery!

ETA: Estimated Starlink Coverage Map

I’m at 77.4% coverage using 35 degrees. If I drop to 25 degrees (which is clear with a roof mount) coverage goes up to 99.5%

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

34.8N here. Now I’ve got my hopes up for an early delivery!

ETA: Estimated Starlink Coverage Map

I’m at 77.4% coverage using 35 degrees. If I drop to 25 degrees (which is clear with a roof mount) coverage goes up to 99.5%

View Quote

I was checking out the starlink subreddit, and it does look like a number of lower-latitude folks in AZ all got pinged today, lowest latitude looks like 33.7N. A bunch of 34.X people reported in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the advantage to Starlink?  Just a quick search of their website shows that it's 150Mbps for $100/month.  Assume it's only for rural areas?
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What's the advantage to Starlink?  Just a quick search of their website shows that it's 150Mbps for $100/month.  Assume it's only for rural areas?
View Quote

The advantage is for folks that have not much else.  What I have now in rural NV is DSL with about 6Mbps down and .5-.6 Mbps up.  Starlink would be awesome.  If I had fiber or cable available I would not consider Starlink.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Performance competitive with all but the fastest fiber ISPs in big cities in the middle of nowhere.

Where I'm at, my choice is the other satellite providers (Viasat and Hughes) which provide really shitty service, have low data caps and slow speeds, the local telco's DSL -- currently delivering 256Kbps (yes, barely faster than a dial-up modem), and data over cellular (LTE, thank god.)

I pay $200/mo for two 100GB data plans on LTE, and have two long-distance yagi antennas to hit a tower 7 miles away; I switch routers every two weeks to balance. I'm not complaining because it works, has been reliable (once I got with the right provider), and is pretty fast (currently 29Mbps down, 10Mbps up.) We can watch one streaming movie a night and will come close but not go over the caps.

For $100, Starlink will offer (for now) no data cap, 300Mbps (literally 10X faster than LTE, 20X faster than Hughesnet, and more than 1000X faster than the local DSL.)  The 100/150Mbps reports were the initial constellation, Starlink just boosted the performance by shrinking the cell sizes earlier this year.

More importantly they can do this almost anywhere in the US. If you're doing any kind of telework that's internet dependent, Starlink has opened up where you can live to just about anywhere. I don't think people have realized yet how much Starlink is going to change things -- we'll probably see more people moving to rural areas just due to this alone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Tagged for Speedtest results.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Performance competitive with all but the fastest fiber ISPs in big cities in the middle of nowhere.

Where I'm at, my choice is the other satellite providers (Viasat and Hughes) which provide really shitty service, have low data caps and slow speeds, the local telco's DSL -- currently delivering 256Kbps (yes, barely faster than a dial-up modem), and data over cellular (LTE, thank god.)

I pay $200/mo for two 100GB data plans on LTE, and have two long-distance yagi antennas to hit a tower 7 miles away; I switch routers every two weeks to balance. I'm not complaining because it works, has been reliable (once I got with the right provider), and is pretty fast (currently 29Mbps down, 10Mbps up.) We can watch one streaming movie a night and will come close but not go over the caps.

For $100, Starlink will offer (for now) no data cap, 300Mbps (literally 10X faster than LTE, 20X faster than Hughesnet, and more than 1000X faster than the local DSL.)  The 100/150Mbps reports were the initial constellation, Starlink just boosted the performance by shrinking the cell sizes earlier this year.

More importantly they can do this almost anywhere in the US. If you're doing any kind of telework that's internet dependent, Starlink has opened up where you can live to just about anywhere. I don't think people have realized yet how much Starlink is going to change things -- we'll probably see more people moving to rural areas just due to this alone.
View Quote

This guy get it!

The only issues I see so far is assigning a static IP to your starlink hub for personal website hosting needs.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

34.5N.

View Quote

I'm 34.8N and in BFE. Hopefully mines coming up
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This guy get it!

The only issues I see so far is assigning a static IP to your starlink hub for personal website hosting needs.
View Quote

Apparently that is (or will be) an option with IPV6, but I already had to deal with this with the WISP at my old place, and with LTE now.

My workaround was to set up a VPS for $5/mo and do a reverse-ssh tunnel to it; it's all set up automatically with scripts on my linux based router.

I have multiple small servers at family properties scattered across the state that upload security pics, power status and the like and they're all doing the same thing over LTE (which I'll probably stick with for them since the bandwidth/cost/power demand is so low.) This has been reliable for many years and bypasses any cellular ISP port blocking or issues with dynamic DNS.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I pre-ordered starlink earlier this year before I knew I had to move this summer.

I will be moving nw.

Starlink said shipping would be this summer. Just great.

Besides updating my address, what else can I go to make sure they do not ship it to my old house?
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I pre-ordered starlink earlier this year before I knew I had to move this summer.

I will be moving nw.

Starlink said shipping would be this summer. Just great.

Besides updating my address, what else can I go to make sure they do not ship it to my old house?
View Quote

When they're ready to convert a pre-order to a real order they send you an email where you have to confirm, and the link takes you to the order page, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to confirm the info before they send it.

OT, but funny you mention that, because Amazon's wish list address is not connected/updated to your amazon main account. Discovered that last week when Amazon shipped something to a place I haven't lived for six months -- and I'd deleted that address from my account entirely six months ago as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I joined list on 2/19 and paid deposit.

I got an email 4/5 saying it was ready and I paid balance and should be arriving tomorrow 4/9.

I am at 33.7 N about 20 mins N of Phoenix
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like you'll be beating my delivery, after confirming my payment they also said higher shipping volumes
are delaying shipments, and the account page is now showing shipment in 2-3 weeks. Hopefully that's another
under-promise over-deliver like the pre-order timing was.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Starlink sent up 70 sats in Jan, 120 in Feb and 240 in March with 1378 currently in orbit.. That should let them expand their coverage pretty good once they start getting online. True or not, I read on Redit that it takes toughly 4 months to reach desired height and become operational. If that's true, there should be a BIG jump in coverage about July.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]
US citizen but work in Iraq. I live in an apartment complex without roof access and window access to the East, a patio to the West. All the ISPs here throttle. I don't really care about ping. Is skylink a realistic alternative for me?
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
US citizen but work in Iraq. I live in an apartment complex without roof access and window access to the East, a patio to the West. All the ISPs here throttle. I don't really care about ping. Is skylink a realistic alternative for me?
View Quote

Probably not, the system really needs a full view of the sky to work. Starlink has an app you can use that will tell you.

Here's a link to the Starlink FAQ, if you look at the field of view question there's links to the smartphone apps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Starlink satellite viewer-

https://starlink.sx/
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I also preordered 02/18.  I am at 32.7 so I do not expect my order to be fulfilled for several weeks, maybe not until Summer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Apparently that is (or will be) an option with IPV6, but I already had to deal with this with the WISP at my old place, and with LTE now.

My workaround was to set up a VPS for $5/mo and do a reverse-ssh tunnel to it; it's all set up automatically with scripts on my linux based router.

I have multiple small servers at family properties scattered across the state that upload security pics, power status and the like and they're all doing the same thing over LTE (which I'll probably stick with for them since the bandwidth/cost/power demand is so low.) This has been reliable for many years and bypasses any cellular ISP port blocking or issues with dynamic DNS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy get it!

There is also this: https://portmap.io/
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got the official shipping notice, the unit should be here Thursday.

May take me a while to install it given where it has to go and the lack of warning.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#32]
This is interesting.  I've been looking for a solution for an office of mine that only has LOS wireless from the local tribe in the area.  Tuba City area. 36N
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm in Central Texas and ordered 2/10. Nothing yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Picked up the starlink box at the place I get my deliveries this afternoon. (I'm in the boonies so I have to drive into town to get packages.)

I'm posting this via starlink.

Setup is stupid easy. I mean really stupid easy. Literally just pull it out of the box and stick it in a tripod. Even the wires are already plugged in.

ETA:

The dish is in a terrible location (I'm in a forest so I have to raise it much much higher) so the view is blocked about 270 degrees
(snipped wrong info)

I'll see if I can get the real install done this weekend to give more detail, but out of the box it's already rocking. I'd have killed for this a year ago.

ETA #2:

Bwhahaha.. So my wifi was the limit factor. Did a hardwire connection to the router.

247.99 Mbps down.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.  Hamilton county
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you pay $99 or $500?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone in Nevada seen theirs yet?  Specifically northern NV?

I signed up on 02-08 and paid the $99 deposit.  Nothing yet and we are further north than a lot of areas now getting Starlink.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#38]
When can I buy their stock?  When's the IPO?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
When can I buy their stock?  When's the IPO?
View Quote

Musk said in late 2020 he'll probably IPO SpaceX in several years. At that point it'll be worth a lot more and people will pay more for the stock.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#40]
what is this 25deg vs 35deg user angle thing??
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#41]
North Ga. Still waiting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
what is this 25deg vs 35deg user angle thing??
View Quote

How far up from the horizon you have to look for a satellite to connect to. This basically determines how well it will work.

The lower/closer to the horizon you can look, the more satellites your dish can see.

If the dish has a clear shot at the horizon a satellite will usually be in view, if it doesn't and the satellites have to pass higher overhead, there may be times when the dish can't see a satellite so there's no internet.

Basically if the dish is on the ground and surrounded by trees/buildings it can't see as many satellites and won't work as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top