Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 9:24:34 PM EDT
Garage ceiling fixture. Two lights. I pulled this one and wire nuts without looking at what went where. Am now confused.

When I put my meter onto the upper right brown wire I show current when touching either the white or red.

Trying to put up an outlet in ceiling.
I thought:
Brown hot
White and red neutral

But I get an open ground. I don't know why I have three wires coming into this box. It has a wall switch and two light fixtures. Appreciate the help.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
check whatever boxes/outlets/switches are feeding that box
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Switch on wall feeds box, then onto next fixture in ceiling.

Switch is good.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The white wire tied with the two black is the switch leg. So one of the black is the hot feed.
Just one switch? There’s usually a 3 wire romex, blk, wht and red for a 3 way switch.
Or a3 wire to the box and it power’s something else. Test ground to each wire to see what’s hot.
The black wire on the right should have powered the light fixture. White wire made hot to switch, black from switch to the light.
Did the red just have a wire nut, not tied to anything or possibly tied to the black on the right and feeding the other light?
A picture before taking stuff apart helps putting it back together.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Test only wires to the bare ground in box.
One will be hot all the time.
One will be hot only with switch flipped on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Brown wire on right tests hot to ground.

White and red do not.
Here is a diagram.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Connect brown  to red does 2nd fixture light up?  

If yes Connect them and also attach fixture 1  hot wire to them.

Or connect and see if switch works correctly lighting fixture 2, if yes Connect fixture 1 hot to them and white to he remaining white.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Ding... .you guys rock

Red with brown from switch on hot side of receptical worked.

And, the last guy didn't ground.

Tightening up now. Good to go, beers on me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top