BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is your plan for hammer, trigger, and sear? DSA has been out of stock for the past few months. Those are the only parts I need to complete my kit.

Also patiently waiting for Faltools to get their tools back in stock so I can DIY instead of ending off to ARS.
View Quote

Knew a guy a spare Falcon US made fcg sitting around after he swapped it out for a JARD with a lighter pull. Just need the postal service to extract their heads from their asses and deliver it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What is your plan for hammer, trigger, and sear? DSA has been out of stock for the past few months. Those are the only parts I need to complete my kit.

Also patiently waiting for Faltools to get their tools back in stock so I can DIY instead of ending off to ARS.
View Quote

Just get surplus.  The parts should be available if your kit didn't come with them.  They work just fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just get surplus.  The parts should be available if your kit didn't come with them.  They work just fine.
View Quote
I have the surplus parts that came with the kit. I wanted the DSA parts for 922r compliance...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#4]
For barrel timing I used the two rods method, one through the gas block and the other layer across the upper receiver.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:43:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Just saw this discussion, if I’d seen it earlier and you are close to Philadelphia I could have loaned you my timing rods for the barrel timing.

I went with a cast receiver from DSA as it was all they had in stock when I ordered. Would have been nice to score a forged one or an old Imbel  receiver but lots of firearms use cast receivers so I’m not overly concerned.

I didn’t start with a parts kit but rather a bunch of parts leftover from past builds.
Yesterday I got the last remaining parts in the mail I needed to build my FAL.

However, like you I have very little time to do the actual building.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Always been a dream of mine to own a fal.

For some of the kit prices, I might have to build one.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you want to go all-in on the DIY route, it's not too hard to make the tools yourself. I used these plans way back when...

Receiver Wrench
Barrel Vise
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#9]
small update in OP, need more pin gauges
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have the surplus parts that came with the kit. I wanted the DSA parts for 922r compliance...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  No one cares about that.  You're not an importer.  Plenty of builds out there without the U.S.-made parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I ground the rim off half of my 308 headspace gauges so I can HS FALs without taking the extractor out.

I did this back when kits were cheap and I was running into folks testing home-builds weekly at the range.

"Have you checked the head-space on that rifle?"
"The what?"
"Gimmee that..."
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#12]
update in OP, locking shoulder size determined
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Added question to OP. Want to know if .252 as the size is a red flag
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Added question to OP. Want to know if .252 as the size is a red flag
View Quote

Nope!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Two finger pressure to close on go gauge. You want it on the tighter side as the pin will set once fired.

Also, I have stoned down locking pins to get the right size without issue. Just keep the same shoulder angle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Which brand receiver?

DSA had a pile that needed really short locking shoulders.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#17]
How tight did it close on a .252" pin? When I headspace an FAL, whatever pin it closes on "go" with, I go down one more size. Closes tight on .252", install .251" locking shoulder.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why?  No one cares about that.  You're not an importer.  Plenty of builds out there without the U.S.-made parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, US made parts are a waste of money if your surplus parts work fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:40:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Check MSC Direct for your .252 pin gage. They ship quickly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top