Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/16/2018 3:20:36 AM EDT
A while back I saw someone say that the F35B was designed so that the forward lift fan could be turned into a generator to provide power for future directed energy weapons, like a laser weapon or something along those lines.  Is that BS?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
If you yanked the fan, you'd have room for a sizeable generator, driven by the original gear box.

OTOH, it would probably weigh quite a bit more than the original fan...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you yanked the fan, you'd have room for a sizeable generator, driven by the original gear box.

OTOH, it would probably weigh quite a bit more than the original fan...
View Quote
With the 3D printing technologies available today and in the future, perhaps not.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
They have a 737 with a laser on it.. that's been several years, not sure this is too far fetched
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Taking a B model and pulling its fan makes it rather worthless.  But as I understand the A and C model engine configurations have the PTO capability when the technology catches up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
directed energy weapons are fucking retarded.
View Quote
Today yes.  Well, as an offensive weapon mostly yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A while back I saw someone say that the F35B was designed so that the forward lift fan could be turned into a generator to provide power for future directed energy weapons, like a laser weapon or something along those lines.  Is that BS?
View Quote
I heard someone who worked at Lockheed tell me this very thing.

But it was entirely speculative then to.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
The USAF does not share your opinion and has spent a LOT of money to research putting them on the F35 as an aerial CIWS to shoot down incoming missiles.

I think Boeing got the contract, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Today yes.  Well, as an offensive weapon mostly yes.
View Quote
Lots of potential has been demonstrated in the are of ant-projectile/anti-missile use for DE weapons.

They can already track and detonate artillery rounds in flight, how long before they miniaturize it enough to allow individual Soldiers to where active protective gear that would disable or destroy incoming bullets?

Who needs plate armor when your helmet shoots down every round fired at you?

I think we're very close to this, if we aren't testing already.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lots of potential has been demonstrated in the are of ant-projectile/anti-missile use for DE weapons.

They can already track and detonate artillery rounds in flight, how long before they miniaturize it enough to allow individual Soldiers to where active protective gear that would disable or destroy incoming bullets?

Who needs plate armor when your helmet shoots down every round fired at you?

I think we're very close to this, if we aren't testing already.
View Quote
Until we get to a Tony Stark arc generator to power that thing we aren't going to see it on a soldier.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, it's not too far off.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:17:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Is there a kit to put this on a dji spark?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Given how effective the fan is at VTOL, I'd say a generator replacement would run an overhead projector.

F35 project was derated to STOVL years ago, and even then it's not meant to be used routinely or it wears out parts.

They'd be better served installing a motor to help drive the turbine engine for better fuel economy
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm not sure how strong they can make a laser using a generator small enough to fit in a fighter jet. But if they can power it, it can work. Building a laser strong enough to knock down a missile or aircraft from hundreds of miles away is simple. Putting it on a platform that can track and keep the laser on a moving target from hundreds of miles is harder, but still very doable. The hard part is creating a power source that's small enough and light enough to be practical while still providing enough power.

It's pretty easy for a non-mobile ground-based laser. For something you want to drive around, or especially to fly around, it's a bit harder.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Given how effective the fan is at VTOL, I'd say a generator replacement would run an overhead projector.

F35 project was derated to STOVL years ago, and even then it's not meant to be used routinely or it wears out parts.

They'd be better served installing a motor to help drive the turbine engine for better fuel economy
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They have a 737 with a laser on it.. that's been several years, not sure this is too far fetched
View Quote
It was a 747, it was a chemical laser instead of solid state, and it's beer cans now.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
When the tech improves to the point that they can intercept ballistic shells and hypersonic missiles you may change your tune.

The tech just isn't quite there yet.

The volume of space required to store energy seems to be a major hangup right now... Of all things that ARF hates, the push for electric cars could end up cracking that nut.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It was a 747, it was a chemical laser instead of solid state, and it's beer cans now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was also an NKC-135 with a laser test bed on it.  It's sitting at WPAFB last I saw it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Thought this  was a joke thread
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thought this  was a joke thread
View Quote
US Air Force to start testing jet mounted LASER weapons this summer
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The majority of energy is lost . Highly inefficient.And they can’t shoot into or out of defilade so they are worthless beyond point defense.

The last part will never change. If they were more efficient they may have more utility but very tactical and limited in scope. You aren’t going to vaporize a city or artillery pos with one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the tech improves to the point that they can intercept ballistic shells and hypersonic missiles you may change your tune.

The volume of space required to store energy seems to be a major hangup right now... Of all things that ARF hates, the push for electric cars could end up cracking that nut.
The majority of energy is lost . Highly inefficient.And they can’t shoot into or out of defilade so they are worthless beyond point defense.

The last part will never change. If they were more efficient they may have more utility but very tactical and limited in scope. You aren’t going to vaporize a city or artillery pos with one.
Direct fire weapons are worthless.  I learn something new every day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
But mirrors!  Magnets!

As long as there’s no treadmills...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe the F-35 should have the unofficial nickname of "Homer."

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#26]
That is BS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehhhh.... I think in 15 or 20 years when aircraft can essentially be made immune to detectable missiles and ground installations can be immune to anything detectable within LOS (IE: mortars, cheap drones) it will be a massive game changer.

Energy storage IS changing with the advent of graphene capacitors and other hi tech solutions. I don't think we should relegate ourselves to dismissing entire fields of technology just because they haven't proven themselves yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i just have a hard time imagining something like an abrams sitting still long enough for something like the ABL to take 30 minutes to burn a hole through its armor. They'd have to become much more powerful, and several orders of magnitude more efficient. Either that or our energy generation ability would need to jump 300 years into the future before you could use them very offensively I would think. Maybe if every plane had a mister fusion in the cockpit.

They worked well on ballistic missiles because they follow a predictable path and have mm thick skin and their fuel is incredibly volatile, and artillery shells are packed with tnt.

This ranks up there with the stupid kinetic bombardment threads that get brought up once a year where everyone thinks its a great idea to haul a 300,000 lb tungsten telephone pole into orbit atop a saturn v.  Because its not nuclear.... which means that russia or china wouldn't launch every nuke they have on us if we ever used one against them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Direct fire weapons are worthless.  I learn something new every day.
i just have a hard time imagining something like an abrams sitting still long enough for something like the ABL to take 30 minutes to burn a hole through its armor. They'd have to become much more powerful, and several orders of magnitude more efficient. Either that or our energy generation ability would need to jump 300 years into the future before you could use them very offensively I would think. Maybe if every plane had a mister fusion in the cockpit.

They worked well on ballistic missiles because they follow a predictable path and have mm thick skin and their fuel is incredibly volatile, and artillery shells are packed with tnt.

This ranks up there with the stupid kinetic bombardment threads that get brought up once a year where everyone thinks its a great idea to haul a 300,000 lb tungsten telephone pole into orbit atop a saturn v.  Because its not nuclear.... which means that russia or china wouldn't launch every nuke they have on us if we ever used one against them.
How long would it take to burn out its optics?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Exactly how would it be a generator? Wouldn't it have to turn?

That means doors open....in full speed forward flight.

I'm going to go with BS
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You are looking at it more as a counter measure system which is the only real merit they have I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How long would it take to burn out its optics?
You are looking at it more as a counter measure system which is the only real merit they have I think.
A soft kill that takes a tank out of the fight is almost as useful as destroying it completely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
chemical laser size and weigh makes it a dead end for portable weapons systems.  The AF is pouring shit tons of money into laser diode research.  If that follows LED technology's progress over the past decade we're going to see some powerful solid state lasers debuted in the next few years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
A 1MW heat ray style laser (IIRC ABL was 1-3MW) is enough to melt through the roof armor in less than a minute - comparable to AGTM or bomb flight time. No vehicle is going to "dodge" modern adaptive optics.

Compared to fiber lasers, the ABL chemical laser was a Rube Goldberg contraption. It's like ancient one-pixel and spinning rotor wheel missile seekers vs an imaging array.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

chemical laser size and weigh makes it a dead end for portable weapons systems.  The AF is pouring shit tons of money into laser diode research.  If that follows LED technology's progress over the past decade we're going to see some powerful solid state lasers debuted in the next few years.
View Quote
The real lessons learned on the YAL-1 were in the beam shaping.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority of energy that an M4 Carbine or M61 Vulcan generates isn't transferred to target either.

Your comment against direct fire is silly.

Tell us more about how these newfangled aeroplanes will never hurt a battleship.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Energy is quickly lost through atmosphere (absorption, reflection, beam waste, inverse square law)....

Until they figure out a way around that, directed energy weapons on relatively low flying aircraft are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i pointed out their inability to to perform indirect fire as one of their biggest weaknesses, because it is.

how do you shoot a battle ship over the horizon with a ray gun. the last thread had guys talking about using blimps and mirrors
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The majority of energy that an M4 Carbine or M61 Vulcan generates isn't transferred to target either.

Your comment against direct fire is silly.

Tell us more about how these newfangled aeroplanes will never hurt a battleship.
i pointed out their inability to to perform indirect fire as one of their biggest weaknesses, because it is.

how do you shoot a battle ship over the horizon with a ray gun. the last thread had guys talking about using blimps and mirrors
Strawman argument that has nothing to do with the question at hand.

"It can't replace both the Phalanx CIWS and Minuteman ICBM, it's worthless!" --- You, 2018.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Energy is quickly lost through atmosphere (absorption, reflection, beam waste, inverse square law)....

Until they figure out a way around that, directed energy weapons on relatively low flying aircraft are stupid.
View Quote
Inverse square law doesn't really apply to a focused beam, but thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Lasers aren't the future.

It's plasma and other forms of energy that can be propelled.

Proton torpedos!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strawman argument that has nothing to do with the question at hand.

"It can't replace both the Phalanx CIWS and Minuteman ICBM, it's worthless!" --- You, 2018.
You're the guy arguing about line of sight and inability to melt cities in a thread about putting a laser on a fighter jet. right back at you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Inverse square law doesn't really apply to a focused beam, but thanks for playing.
View Quote
Lasers are not “perfect” beams... so it does.

Show me a laser with zero beam divergence..
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
how do you imagine a laser weapon system employed.
View Quote
Highly effective point defense systems first.

Well, blinding sensors first, but we're already there, so...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laser divergence, distortion and power density is a fairly complicated subject. The inverse square law isn't really the defining problem.

The inverse square law is much more applicable to unfocused energy releases, like bombs, nukes, stars, non-directional antennas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top