Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2022 2:54:26 PM EDT
Q: why did they come out of burner for a couple of seconds?

Grim Reaper F-15C quick climb departures, RAF Lakenheath, England [4K]
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Those most stunning part of that video is that they actually fully pronounce “See ya!”

I always thought it was suppose to sound like a loud hiccup.

Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't see them come out of burner anywhere except the last takeoff at the end, but they didn't go back in.  They came out of burner in that case because they reached their target altitude and airspeed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah they didn't come out of burner at all
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#4]
On the first one it does appear to come out of burner while still low.  However it might be the right external tank kinda blocking the burner flame.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok I’ll be serious for a bit, I always love unrestricted climbs.

On that first takeoff as the jet flew down the runway I think the angle of the aircraft just obscured the view of the AB flames.

Is that what you were referring to?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The first jet definitely came out of AB on both engines while he was blocked by that red and white building

He may have had an engine anomaly and took them out of AB and then back into AB to try it again.   Like a thump or a bang or something

Not uncommon

or he was about to over speed the gear because it wasn't fully up yet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Winter 1974, F15s came to Grand Forks AFB for testing. We were told frigid air density was an important factor. Numerous vertical climb runs were conducted. Very interesting to watch records being established.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#8]
No, that's not video of their unrestricted climbs. When F15's are serious about getting to altitude they go straight up on afterburners, not 60 or 70 degrees to the ground but 90 degrees, and they need to have a tanker waiting for them as they burn off most of their fuel. September of 1990 I stayed overnight on Elmendorf air force base when I was visiting my brother, and was woken in the morning by the KC-135 taking off. 20-30 minutes later 2 F15's woke up everyone taking off and going vertical to climb up to the tanker.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kItN6eABoE
View Quote

Not an unrestricted climb.  A quick climb but not what they think.

They come out of burner because they are sucking gas and could be getting close to limit for closure or overall speed the ATC dictated to them.  

When Vipers do it, the first off the ground is out of burner much sooner than the others because they want to join up without wasting fuel or exceeding mach etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The first jet definitely came out of AB on both engines while he was blocked by that red and white building

He may have had an engine anomaly and took them out of AB and then back into AB to try it again.   Like a thump or a bang or something

Not uncommon
View Quote

I missed that he pulled back for a second.  Maybe too fast?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No, that's not video of their unrestricted climbs. When F15's are serious about getting to altitude they go straight up on afterburners, not 60 or 70 degrees to the ground but 90 degrees, and they need to have a tanker waiting for them as they burn off most of their fuel. September of 1990 I stayed overnight on Elmendorf air force base when I was visiting my brother, and was woken in the morning by the KC-135 taking off. 20-30 minutes later 2 F15's woke up everyone taking off and going vertical to climb up to the tanker.
View Quote

Unrestricted climb is really an ATC clearance kind of departure.   Normally when you takeoff you then contact Departure and follow a flight planned route which typically involves more normal climb restrictions.  Mainly due to other airways traffic.    The airspace has to be clear/cleared for high performance type climb outs.    This flight was only cleared to FL 19 I think I heard.
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I once saw an F-18 make an unrestricted climb.  He went straight up over the end of the runway and at about 5,000' (my estimate), rolled over and resumed level flight 90 degrees from runway heading.

It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Might have been a power modulation so as not to overspeed the landing gear.  Most guys just climb more aggressively, but when you're trying to look good for the quick climb, pulling back the power works better.  Not sure if that's the case for these guys, but the 300kt gear speed comes fast in a Viper, especially right now with super cold winter days.  

Since looking/sounding good is like 95% of the job, I'm going with that!
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:13:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is about as unrestricted  as you can do with 2 external wing tanks. 60-70 degrees is certainly unrestricted meaning you have a climbe clearance into the upper 20,000 or 30,000 feet with a climb rate in excess of 30,000 feet per minute. 90 degrees is done just for fun. 60-70 degrees is done to get to altitude fast. Taking off and being level at 35,000 by the end of the runway ( been there done that ) does not require a tanker standing by and does not burn most of the gas or even a significant amount by any stretch, you are only in AB for about 60 -90 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not uncommon

yeah,  either had a motor pop or he was close to over speeding the gear because it wasn't fully up yet with the doors closed.

Unlike an F16, if a motor goes pop in AB in an eagle, you take it out and put it back in.

But looking back on that it looked like he needed a second to get the gear doors closed so he didn't over speed them
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Might have been a power modulation so as not to overspeed the landing gear.  Most guys just climb more aggressively, but when you're trying to look good for the quick climb, pulling back the power works better.  Not sure if that's the case for these guys, but the 300kt gear speed comes fast in a Viper, especially right now with super cold winter days.  

Since looking/sounding good is like 95% of the job, I'm going with that!
View Quote

eagle is 250 kts with centerline tank, 300 without ( can't remember if that applies to no center and wing tanks, it's been a  while and not a common configuration when I was flying due to the increased departure characteristics )  ) , but most use 250 no matter what because it is ingrained in the brain.

I doubt he was close to 300 especially with 2 tanks, but he easily could have been close to 250 and a gear door may not have been fully closed yet since he had just broken ground

A training configuration C model will be off the ground in 700 feet full blower on a chilly day and be supersonic by the end of an 8000 foot runway if still in blower and little climb
Link Posted: 2/15/2022 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Might have been a power modulation so as not to overspeed the landing gear.
View Quote

The C Model gear speed is 300, so not likely.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#18]
T38 "unrestricted (by ATC)" departure

USAF T-38 Unrestricted Climb at MSP
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]
What Mach said. 90 degree climb looks cool, but if you want to get high quick with any sort of load out, 60-70 degrees will do it. And assuming both wing tanks were full, along with full internal fuel, the C will burn roughly 10% max fuel capacity per minute in MaxAB. If memory serves correct, they will drink about 1,850lbs per minute in AB. If you look at the Streak Eagle record runs, nothing in the profile involved a straight 90 degree climb. It was a roughly 2G immelman, then accelerate in a gradual climb, then a 60 degree climb to altitude. All that, the Eagle is one, bad bird, undefeated in air to air.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What Mach said. 90 degree climb looks cool, but if you want to get high quick with any sort of load out, 60-70 degrees will do it. And assuming both wing tanks were full, along with full internal fuel, the C will burn roughly 10% max fuel capacity per minute in MaxAB. If memory serves correct, they will drink about 1,850lbs per minute in AB. If you look at the Streak Eagle record runs, nothing in the profile involved a straight 90 degree climb. It was a roughly 2G immelman, then accelerate in a gradual climb, then a 60 degree climb to altitude. All that, the Eagle is one, bad bird, undefeated in air to air.
View Quote

I was surprised by the StreakEagle doing an Immelman, rather than just straight 60deg climbout.. wonder why? Did they have to stay within a specific area?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUMty81WQ4k
View Quote

Not kidding, I have seen them do that at MSP before.   We use the Signature flight FOB for our corporate shuttle, and we were there one afternoon waiting to board our plane.  To guys in flight suits were in there talking to the Flight desk (maybe paying for gas) before walking out to the plane that was parked with the rest of the business jets and props.   They got in, closed the cannopy, and taxied out.   Not long after they did a takeoff roll on 30L and seemed to be off the ground in like 1/3 of the runway about the time they were passing in front of Signature and climbed out like a rocket.

We've seen a lot of C130's parked next door there, and they had a Super Bug there one time too.  Not sure if those are perhaps overnight diverts or maybe training flights?  The C130 makes sense for the MN ANG that is based there, but not sure why it wasn't over by their hangers.   Also was there for the last flight of the 747 into MSP when a Delta plane did several patterns around the field as a salute.

Very cool!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not uncommon

or he was about to over speed the gear because it wasn't fully up yet.
View Quote
It's too bad we don't have anyone around here that would actually know about this kind of thing.

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not uncommon
View Quote

C'mon, man...these are Strike Eagles. We don't have no stinking -100 compressor-stall-o-matic motors!  They're -229s with improved DEECs!
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 5:26:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was surprised by the StreakEagle doing an Immelman, rather than just straight 60deg climbout.. wonder why? Did they have to stay within a specific area?
View Quote

When I was in my initial F-15E basic course, there was a great McD-produced movie about the Mach cruise/climb schedule that the engineers had produced specifically for the Streak Eagle.

I wish I could remember what the specifics were about that initial Immelmann on takeoff, but it had to do with the rate at which it got the airplane to its initial altitude, where it leveled off to accelerate. Something about acceleration characteristics under G vs in a standard climb in the thicker air at lower altitude. I remember being astounded that it was possible for an aircraft to accelerate better under G than unloaded.  That's why they're engineers and I'm just a pilot.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#25]
From reading the profile, as well as watching the videos, the initial take off to immelma  was rotate, suck the gear up, accelerate to 428 kts, then pull into a 2.5g immelman and accelerate while climbing to M 1.2 and level off at 32,000 ft, accelerate to M2.2 and climb at about 60 degrees nose high. It was pretty bitchin to watch the videos. Plane weighed about 32,000lbs at take off. They would attach the tail hook to the runway with an explosive bolt, run into max ab, then blast the bolt and off it went.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 9:28:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
C'mon, man...these are Strike Eagles. We don't have no stinking -100 compressor-stall-o-matic motors!  They're -229s with improved DEECs!
View Quote

This!  The -229 is a beast and compressor stalls are an extremely rare event.  Much better than even the -220 and certainly much better than the -200 (modified -100).
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember my $ ride in T-38 at Laughlin in December 1972. It was 28F with a strong NW wind take off RW 31L.

Unrestricted climb to 50,000’. Hold down to 500KIAS then pull. I remember going through 40,000’ and looking back over my left shoulder and seeing the runway still just off the tailpipe.

The white rocket was fun!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I remember my $ ride in T-38 at Laughlin in December 1972. It was 28F with a strong NW wind take off RW 31L.

Unrestricted climb to 50,000’. Hold down to 500KIAS then pull. I remember going through 40,000’ and looking back over my left shoulder and seeing the runway still just off the tailpipe.

The white rocket was fun!!!!
View Quote

Unfortunately, the C-model mod added weight and the PMP mod added drag.

The White Rocket you remember is, unfortunately, mostly a figment of all of our memories...outside of the handful of ACC units that still fly A models as companion traniers and aggressors.

Still one of the most fun airplanes I've ever flown.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Something about acceleration characteristics under G vs in a standard climb in the thicker air at lower altitude. I remember being astounded that it was possible for an aircraft to accelerate better under G than unloaded.  That's why they're engineers and I'm just a pilot.
View Quote

This is specific to the C, I am not familiar with later models: the wing is designed to produce minimum drag in the 2-3g range.  Ie. Drag at 2g is less than drag at 1g.  This was done to offset the l/d performance towards better maneuverability.  It wasn’t designed to cruise, for max range, etc. it was designed to maneuver at the expense of cruise performance.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That is about as unrestricted  as you can do with 2 external wing tanks. 60-70 degrees is certainly unrestricted meaning you have a climbe clearance into the upper 20,000 or 30,000 feet with a climb rate in excess of 30,000 feet per minute. 90 degrees is done just for fun. 60-70 degrees is done to get to altitude fast. Taking off and being level at 35,000 by the end of the runway ( been there done that ) does not require a tanker standing by and does not burn most of the gas or even a significant amount by any stretch, you are only in AB for about 60 -90 seconds.
View Quote
Know anything about the guy at Galena who popped the wings off when he pulled up at the end of the runway? Mid or late 80s, C type iirc.

@Mach
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Thread hijack

Elmendorf was a great place to hang out. We were always on base fucking around since I moved up in 76. The F4s were damn impressive  but the best was on Wednesday when the hot Major F15 pilot did aerobatics in the afternoon.  We would try to get tee times just to watch him. Great watching them come in to land right over the 15th green a hundred feet up.

Also fun watching them scramble a pair of F15s on a Bear intercept.

Worked at Eilson for a couple summers and sonic booms are a near daily treat up there. I also hunt in fighter jet playground, although low level flyby are rare now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I miss watching T-38s flying out of Williams AFB.
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#33]
In early 1975 I was a Lieutenant “Guard Bum” flying the sleek and racy KC-97L “Stratotanker/sophisticated war machine” for the Texas Air National Guard / Air Militia out of Dallas Naval Air Station.

Our unit volunteered to fly tanker support for the Lightweight Fighter test program at Edwards AFB so I got to do a lot of flying there for a few months.
While there I got to see a lot of other test programs that were going on at the same time. One of those was the new F-15 preparing for the time to climb record. It was an interesting profile that didn’t just go straight up. The following link describes it:

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/world-record-for-time-to-climb-to-a-height-of-30000-meters/
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Know anything about the guy at Galena who popped the wings off when he pulled up at the end of the runway? Mid or late 80s, C type iirc.

@Mach
View Quote

Yes, he did not have a properly functioning OWS (Overload Warning System).
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
… F-15 preparing for the time to climb record. It was an interesting profile that didn’t just go straight up. The following link describes it:

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/world-record-for-time-to-climb-to-a-height-of-30000-meters/
View Quote

That’s interesting.  Knowing nothing about an f15: the Immelmann is to take advantage of the fact that the 2-3g drag is less than the 1g drag.  At low altitude the dense air makes reducing drag worth the time lost accelerating before/after the Immelmann.  The almost level acceleration to 2.2m is probably done near the altitude where the thrust/drag ratio is best to give the shortest acceleration time.  The 60deg climb instead of vertical is probably done for controllability (easier and safer to transition to a dive) and because the drag at such altitudes is so low that most airspeed is lost to potential energy rather than drag.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Mach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mach

Yes I do.

What would you like to know?

@wwace
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Mach

IIRC he was a young LT that was used to taking off leaving Galena turn out and come back down the runway low and fast with an aggressive high G pull at the end of the runway. He was used to doing this as was everybody with a single centerline tank.

This time he did it with full wing tanks and folded the wings. The full wingtanks significantly reduce G allowed to remain within structural limits.  

I think that happened in '85 or '86. At the time I think Elmandorf was flying F-15A models without OWS. But I could be wrong, I am going by memory and that was a long time ago. The pilots name is on the tip of my tongue
Link Posted: 2/25/2022 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

IIRC he was a young LT that was used to taking off leaving Galena turn out and come back down the runway low and fast with an aggressive high G pull at the end of the runway. He was used to doing this as was everybody with a single centerline tank.

This time he did it with full wing tanks and folded the wings. The full wingtanks significantly reduce G allowed to remain within structural limits.  

I think that happened in '85 or '86. At the time I think Elmandorf was flying F-15A models without OWS. But I could be wrong, I am going by memory and that was a long time ago. The pilots name is on the tip of my tongue
View Quote

That sounds like something that likely didn't turn out well then for the plane or the pilot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That sounds like something that likely didn't turn out well then for the plane or the pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/60404
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 12:57:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Galena, what a shitty place to die.

Did the As have the same structural issues later models have?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#41]
How about another nice TO video

2 F-15 Eagle unrestricted climbs
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd die a happy man if I were able to experience that just once.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:25:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not kidding, I have seen them do that at MSP before.   We use the Signature flight FOB for our corporate shuttle, and we were there one afternoon waiting to board our plane.  To guys in flight suits were in there talking to the Flight desk (maybe paying for gas) before walking out to the plane that was parked with the rest of the business jets and props.   They got in, closed the cannopy, and taxied out.   Not long after they did a takeoff roll on 30L and seemed to be off the ground in like 1/3 of the runway about the time they were passing in front of Signature and climbed out like a rocket.

We've seen a lot of C130's parked next door there, and they had a Super Bug there one time too.  Not sure if those are perhaps overnight diverts or maybe training flights?  The C130 makes sense for the MN ANG that is based there, but not sure why it wasn't over by their hangers.   Also was there for the last flight of the 747 into MSP when a Delta plane did several patterns around the field as a salute.

Very cool!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cool!
There are lots of different military aircraft that pass through the FBO side of MSP. Sometimes not even American military aircraft.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#44]
The coolest vertical climb I ever saw was at a MacDill Airfest when an F-14D did a low pass and pulled straight into the vertical until it practically disappeared.

The new F-110-GE-400 engines they put in that variant gave it a thrust/weight ratio of 0.88 (clean configuration.)
The sound was thunderous.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I was an F-16A/B Doc Shop Weenie with the MT ANG.
I always got a super warm fuzzy when they would take-off for the FCF and roar/screech down to the end of the runway about 20' off the ground and go vertical. As it turned into a dot it would pull inverted, shake the jet, and when nothing fell into the canopy to be gathered-up, roll right side up and head out towards Havre to wring it out.

It felt cool to know I connected the throttle and fuel pipe and elec connections and torqued the nuts  that held the two drive pins that held the engine in.

I miss working on cool stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's too bad we don't have anyone around here that would actually know about this kind of thing.

View Quote

That flight sim guy coulda given us the info.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Those most stunning part of that video is that they actually fully pronounce “See ya!”

I always thought it was suppose to sound like a loud hiccup.

View Quote

Lol everybody does it these days, even on chat

Usually it's CYUUUUUUUUUUUH!
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd die a happy man if I were able to experience that just once.
View Quote
I got to do it at PDX in a clean B model. Full burner, almost straight up, and me cackling like a maniac the entire way.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I got to do it at PDX in a clean B model. Full burner, almost straight up, and me cackling like a maniac the entire way.
View Quote

Man, I do that in the two jets I fly and neither type has burner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:14:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kItN6eABoE
View Quote

I love the F22 and i really wish we had about 400 more.

but Jesus the F15 is a sexy ass bitch. Not upset Boeing in bringing in more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top