Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2021 11:45:38 PM EDT
2006 F250 5.4L Modular. 6Speed manual. 75,000 miles.

Starting about a week ago it would fail to crank every 1-in-10 times. No click, no nothing. I would keep trying and it would eventually start. When it DID start, it would start like was no issue at all.

On advice from a friend, I replaced the Clutch Safety Switch (I think that's what it's called). Issue persisted.

I swapped the starter relay with an identical relay used for the trailer. Issue persisted.

If I jump pin 30-87 on the starter relay with a jumper wire, the starter will crank, but I still can't start it with the key....

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

I'm assuming since I can get the starter to crank by jumping the relay pins, the starter is fine.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If jumping the relay works I’d say it may be the ignition switch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If jumping the relay works I’d say it may be the ignition switch.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. I'm a total novice, so this is probably a stupid question, but:

What tells the trucks to actually send the fuel to start the engine?

Jumping the relay just makes the starter crank, it won't actually start the truck.. Is there an equivalent to sending fuel to the motor to see if the engine will actually start? Maybe that would help me rule out fuel delivery problems?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Should be able to hear fuel pump run when you turn key on. Check for pressure on fuel rail.

Check all grounds and ignition switch. Check positive wires to starter.

Bad solenoid??
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input. I'm a total novice, so this is probably a stupid question, but:

What tells the trucks to actually send the fuel to start the engine?

Jumping the relay just makes the starter crank, it won't actually start the truck.. Is there an equivalent to sending fuel to the motor to see if the engine will actually start? Maybe that would help me rule out fuel delivery problems?
View Quote

What does fuel have to do with this? You stated “no click, no nothing”.  Does the starter spin the engine every time you turn the key or not?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What does fuel have to do with this? You stated “no click, no nothing”.  Does the starter spin the engine every time you turn the key or not?
View Quote

As of now, no matter how many times I try turning the key does nothing.

The starter does crank if I jump the starter relay.

Jumping the starter relay doesn't start the truck though. The starter will just crank until I remove the jumper wire (or until the battery dies, I guess).
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:50:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It doesnt start it when the key is in run position AND you jump the solenoid?

View Quote

Correct. If I turn the key to Run AND I jump the pins on the starter relay (is that what you mean by solenoid?) the starter cranks, but the car does NOT start.

There is no after market alarm or stock alarm/security (this is actually a fleet model with roll up windows/manual locking doors).
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Ignition switch that bolts to the column.  Those are a common failure on older trucks
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Dad has the exact same pick-up.

How old is the battery?
Is the dash doing crazy things?

Have experienced the turn the key and no click/start quite a few times.

I had to replace a fuse and a relay that are for starting along with a bad battery.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dad has the exact same pick-up.

How old is the battery?
Is the dash doing crazy things?

Have experienced the turn the key and no click/start quite a few times.

I had to replace a fuse and a relay that are for starting along with a bad battery.
View Quote

Battery is less than a year old.

In reference to the dash, about 6 months ago, there was a couple days when the dash cluster would "turn off" (all the gauges would go to zero) then "turn on." It never did it consistently enough to really try and figure it out. Then it stopped.

I checked all of the fuses and they are fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Age of the battery doesn't matter. Brand new battery could be junk. If it's turning the engine over it's good.

Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?? Is the fuel pump running when you turn the key on?? Could give it a sniff of starting fluid and see if it pops or not.

Like others have said ignition switch could be bad. Not the key part but the switch on the steering column.

Check those grounds yet?? Had a ground from the battery to engine break under the clamp on the frame. Couldn't see it but boy did the truck do some mighty strange stuff with that ground broken.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Age of the battery doesn't matter. Brand new battery could be junk. If it's turning the engine over it's good.

Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail?? Is the fuel pump running when you turn the key on?? Could give it a sniff of starting fluid and see if it pops or not.

Like others have said ignition switch could be bad. Not the key part but the switch on the steering column.

Check those grounds yet?? Had a ground from the battery to engine break under the clamp on the frame. Couldn't see it but boy did the truck do some mighty strange stuff with that ground broken.
View Quote

Load-tested the battery. It has +/-  the CCA it's rated for it.

Checked all the grounds. Double-checked the fuses. Replaced all of the ones in the starting circuit, just in case.

I get 12v at the fuse that sends power to the relay when the key is turned to start (indicating that the ignition switch is at least sending power to the starter relay I guess?).

I haven't made a whole lot of progress, but at least I'm learning a lot about starting systems
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Battery is less than a year old.

In reference to the dash, about 6 months ago, there was a couple days when the dash cluster would "turn off" (all the gauges would go to zero) then "turn on." It never did it consistently enough to really try and figure it out. Then it stopped.

I checked all of the fuses and they are fine.
View Quote
The dash going dead is part of the problem.
It is a known problem with Ford and other makes.

Give them a call.
https://circuitboardmedics.com/car-truck-instrument-cluster-repair/

I need to get dads fixed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Give them a call.

View Quote

You're saying the dash going dead is a part of my starting problem???
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give them a call.

It can be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top